Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what happened to Bass Weejuns?

davestlouis

Practically Family
I can't seem to find a decent version of the classic Bass Weejun penny loafer. Bass only makes crappy-looking imports now, Cole-Haan loafers self-destruct when I wear them, and I can't stomach the thought of spending $500 on Alden LHS shoes. Does anybody make a good quality, traditional loafer with leather sole at a reasonable price point?

I was at a Value Village in Florissant MO the other day, and they had tons of Dexter, Cole-Haan and Bass loafers from what I took to be the 80s and early 90s (too small for me), and I was struck by how well made they look. The Cole-Haan's even said something like proudly made in Maine, USA, on the inside.

Any thoughts?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
But are they crappy-looking imports?

Yes... with the exception of their new premium line which is made in Maine. They retail for $300.

Bass-Jeffrey-Weejuns.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
I'd be more inclined to just get AE's and be done with it for that kind of money.
Lots of NIB AE on eBay at substantial discount. ;)

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Davestlouis,
I used to go to Boyd's on Forsythe in Clayton, to get my Weejuns.
I can remember paying $19.95 a pair.....but that was in 1966,
Too bad Boyd's is out of business.
There is a Bass outlet store in Sikeston, Missouri. They should have them; I can't speak to their quality though.
Just FYI,
Forrestal

davestlouis

Practically Family
Forrestal, I used to go to Boyd's clearance section in that store, they called it "Boyd's Subway", in the 80s, got AE wingtips on sale. Hell, I had a Boyd's charge when I was in college at St Louis U. I seem to recall that Bass had gone to the 1/2 leather 1/2 rubber heel top lift in the early 80s, prior to that I think it was mostly leather with a round rubber plug toward the back, offset to one side, to absorb wear. Anyway, I seem to recall spending $50 or a smidge more for Weejuns in the mid 80s.

There's a Bass outlet in Warrenton MO, about 20 minutes west of me, but they only carry el-cheapo crap shoes. Guess I'm going to have to just buck up and spend a couple hundred dollars on loafers. I feel a little funny spending goo-gobs of money on shoes that I'll just beat up and throw away. At least with proper dress shoes I'll have them for years and mainly wear them at the funeral home when I'm working.

davestlouis

Practically Family
The uppers always fell apart on me after the original, or perhaps one replacement. The newer ones are definitely throw-aways, just like the Cole-Haans with the thin soles and low heels.

CINDERWOLF

New in Town
I picked up a pair second hand that ive been wearing for years, great shoes. My last semester of college there was a fellow who's only pair of shoes was an absolutely beat pair of Weejuns, after a couple weeks i couldn't bear it any longer, I brought my shoe shine kit to class and taught him how to use it. I explained how long the style had been around and how they dont make quality shoes like they used to, how they can be resoled if they wear out, and how much a new pair would cost if he could find them. I dont know if i came across as helpful or insane.

cptjeff

Practically Family
CINDERWOLF said:
I picked up a pair second hand that ive been wearing for years, great shoes. My last semester of college there was a fellow who's only pair of shoes was an absolutely beat pair of Weejuns, after a couple weeks i couldn't bear it any longer, I brought my shoe shine kit to class and taught him how to use it. I explained how long the style had been around and how they dont make quality shoes like they used to, how they can be resoled if they wear out, and how much a new pair would cost if he could find them. I dont know if i came across as helpful or insane.

I get tempted to do that on occasion, but nobody else seems to wear decent shoes where I go to school. Even the few guys who wear suits on a regular basis wear rather crappy shoes. Of course, my "kit" is a brush for cleaning the shoe, a can of saddle soap, a tin of neutral polish, and a few rags.

I wear my weejuns a lot, and they're always shined. Mailed off for resoling today as a matter of fact. Mine aren't anything special- Dominican made, got them in a rush before an event 6 years ago when I was dressing up for something and my mom realized I didn't have real dress shoes an hour before the event. They were what the store had in my size, and I've been wearing them off and on for years. Recently, very much on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto