What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winter_joe

winter_joe A-List Customer

Thanks everyone on the compliments its a very beautiful hat! And the feel is second to none! Art delivered exactly what i wanted, and the felt feels like buttery gold as requested. Cant go wrong with a VS!s

2. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Borsalino Homburg for me!

[​IMG]

3. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

+1! Furthermore, it was produced before the market changed (TV and advertising on cable) and while 20th Century Fox still made quality 'fringy' movies about 'the little man' and exposed minorities. That used to be the company's trademark, but it changed up through the 50s when they too became more or less mainstream [huh]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

Now that's a really sharp combination, Manfred! Very sharp! :eusa_clap

5. Orangegrad

Orangegrad Practically Family

Agree. Wonderful fedora. Really nice jacket.

6. alanfgag

alanfgag

Way to rock the homburg, Manfred... looks like fall has arrived out your way.

Quite the shingle situation on that house across the street!

7. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Also John Ford, who directed the movie, veered off a bit from the novel. In the novel, Steinbeck made the central theme about the dustbowl and poverty. The Joads were just "happenstance" to the events...and the family slowly broke apart and came to sad ending. Whereas Ford's movie version made the Joads the central figures experiencing the suffering of poverty and the dustbowl...and the ending in Ford's version was more positive, in that while the family suffered loss, the ones remaining stuck together...

Ahh yes! Manfred, excellent Hombourg my friend! I just let one get away from me too! I wish I would have went for now that I see your pic! Dang it all again!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. +1!

9. dh66

dh66

I really like the color of your homburg Chepstow. Also the jacket is very sharp, i like the collar and zippered chest pockets.

10. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

Manfred, that is a great look! I have a very similar Borso Homburg that I've been afraid to wear with anything informal, but you've given me inspiration!

11. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Rock'n it Manfred!

12. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

@T Jones: Yes that's often a problem. The movie East of Eden is also very different from the book. In the case of The Grapes of Wrath the theme was very controversial at the time. The movie was made shortly after the depression and many wounds were probably still wide open. War movies also seem to get more and more realistic/nuanced, the further away in time they are made.

If you ever get across Woody Guthrie's autobiography "Bound For Glory", read it! If you ever get across the movie, don't bother to turn your head! The book is fantastic, whereas the movie is a feelgood Hollywood movie without any insight in Guthrie's life and person [huh]

13. editedby

editedby New in Town

Nice Homburg chepstow you wear it well, mind telling us who makes that jacket, it looks great.

14. ManofKent

ManofKent My Mail is Forwarded Here

David - The Stetson looks good.

Andy - I'm enjoying the jewellery shots.

Jeff - Lovely ultrafino

TJ - It looks good regardless of what it's made of. I've got a couple of woolies I still enjoy wearing.

Tom - Looks great - lovely felt.

Manfred - great Homburg, and a great look all round.

15. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Penney's Marathon Dynel Fiber

[​IMG]

16. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thanks MoK, I appreciate your comment as well as the nice collection of hats you post, especially the backgrounds in your pictures! Those parts of Britain are beautiful my friend!

TheDane, I saw the movie East of Eden, the one with James Dean. It was definitely different from the book in that it only focused on the last few chapters. Yes, I think I saw that movie, "Bound for Glory". Didn't David Carradine play Woody Guthrie in that one?

17. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Really nice Dynel Robert. I was inquiring about a similar one on the bay but sizing was off. Basically fiberglass right?

18. HamilcarBarca3

HamilcarBarca3 One of the Regulars

Nice hats today, gents. Cehpstow that is a very good look! You carry it off well, sir. Today I wore my Stetson Sport-lite again.. I have to get some straw hats in my life :(

[​IMG]

19. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

Yes, that's the one. It won wide recognition for it's photography, but it was all too loosely based on the book. I highly recommend the book, though. It's absolutely worth reading, if you're interested in that period - and not least if you're interested in the storytellers of the day, Steinbeck, Guthrie, Lange, etc.

20. ManofKent

ManofKent My Mail is Forwarded Here

Robert - nice pug

HB3 - Looks good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.