Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Forties "B" Hat aka Blastin Betty?

colleency

One of the Regulars
I'm registering for my classes at costume college, and one of the choices is Forties "B" Hat or Blastin Betty. Does anyone have a photo or good description of what this is? I tried to do a google search, to no avail.

The description they provide is: "This class will explore the simple cap construction of the "B" hat. This hat was used in a variety of ways from suite to society wear. All sorts of accents from feathers to jewelry give it a versatile look. Krimp, oil, fold, looping, and drape techniques will be discussed."

I can't visualize it. Can anyone help?

TIA

decodoll

Practically Family
I'd love to know too. I went through some of my books last night but couldn't find any information on a "B" Hat or Blastin Betty.

J

jp*81

Bes-Ben hat?

Is it also called a Bes-Ben hat?

Here is a link. There are 5 hats near the bottom of the page.

hatconsgnbesbenfishsm.jpg

http://www.antiquedress.com/galleryhats1.htm

In 1920, Benjamin Greenfield and his sister Bessie (hence the "Bes-Ben" name merging their first names!) opened a millinery shop in Chicago. In 1938 they moved to the fashionable Michigan Avenue, and Benjamin soon became known as "The Mad Hatter of Chicago" with his outrageous designs. His famous clientele included Lucille Ball, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor... with his hats selling for between $37.50 - $1000! Maine Antique Digest wrote "Every summer, however, he would clean out his inventory for the new season at a midnight sale, marking down the hats to s little as $5. Then at 2 AM, he would toss the rest out the front door to waiting bargain hunters."! In 1999 a Bes-Ben hat sold for $18,400 at auction.

colleency

One of the Regulars
That looks like it fits the description! Thanks!

I decided to sign up for the class without knowing what it is. If I get it, I'll be sure to come back and post what it was. The class isn't until the end of July, though.

Tin Pan Sally

colleency said:
That looks like it fits the description! Thanks!I decided to sign up for the class without knowing what it is. If I get it, I'll be sure to come back and post what it was. The class isn't until the end of July, though.

Where are you taking this class? Is it a workshop or a full length course? I'd seen those caps around and had no idea the name of the style. Thanks

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Don't blast costume college, men. It is amazing! and yes, they offer things you would never had thought of.

I'm a hopeful for the Regency Corset class and the Straw braid hats over buckram class.

Costume College is put out with Costumer's Guild West. It's sold out for this year, but if you want in next year you should sign up in August ASAP. Here's the link: http://www.costumecollege.org

colleency

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Gosh, how incredibly arcane can a class be? (I wonder how many of your fellow classmates will know what it is, too.) Sounds interesting, but what will they offer next?

As Lauren said, costume college is amazing, a full weekend of workshops and lectures on costuming and clothing recreations from all time periods, including the past and futuristic items. DH was supposed to be teaching a lightsaber building class this year, but we didn't get his paperwork in on time. :p

Lauren, I was really tempted by the Straw Braid hat class, but I decided to give this one a whirl in case it is something I could use. It is my final choice.

I've also requested glove making, sleeve pattern making, and pressing/finishing. I can't wait!

colleency

One of the Regulars
He does it at science fiction conventions occassionally. The "tuition" is free, other than your convention membership. He has you bring a base piece, which he tells you how to shop for. Then he has a bag of nernies (bits to make it look neat) that he sells at his cost, usually $20 (I think). It's fun!

colleency

One of the Regulars
He does it at science fiction conventions occassionally. The "tuition" is free, other than your convention membership. He has you bring a base piece, which he tells you how to shop for. Then he has a bag of nernies (bits to make it look neat) that he sells at his cost, usually $20 (I think). It's fun!

Ah! I may see your confusion here. It's a class in building a prop lightsaber handle.

Vanessa

One Too Many
:( Haven't received my class information yet for Costume College.

. . . Pondering what physical harm I can do to mailman. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana