Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is "Genuine Leather"?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
According to this, "genuine leather" is another name for split leather. Is this true?
Two more questions: 1) Is the grain on split leather artificial? 2) Is split leather less likely to be water repellent? I ask this second question because my understanding is that most of what passes for suede is made from split leather, and suede does not seem to do well when wet.

Bebop

Practically Family
Good question. I may sound naive but I thought "genuine leather" was a cheesy way of saying, "this really is leather!". Maybe we'll both learn something from the leather experts that hang out here.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
I also thought "genuine leather" was marketing spin for "you wouldn't be impressed we told you what kind of leather this is."

Split leather is the fibrous part of the hide left after the top-grain of the hide has been cut off, often to get thinner top-grain leather. The split leather will have a suede-like appearance. An artificial layer (such as polyurethane) can be applied to the surface of the split and embossed with a leather-like grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112