What is it?

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by 1961MJS, Aug 17, 2015.

1. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

My grandparents in Illinois had this, Dad said it was a water heater. I would have thought a water heater would have a spigot. I don't think that the grate / grill in the bottom or the soldering iron go with it.

Thanks

Mike

20150809_Water_Box_1.jpg 20150809_Water_Box_2.jpg 20150809_Water_Box_3.jpg 20150809_Water_Box_4.jpg

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

That's a laundry boiler. Homes without washing machines would boil the laundry on the stove to loosen up the dirt before scrubbing it clean on a washboard.

3. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks Lizzie, that makes sense. Dad said it was a water heater, but its not like the ones that hang on the stove.

Later

4. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

My grandma had a round black pot or cauldron...[​IMG] that she would use in the back yard.

I was 3 & sent to live with her.
    My first days there...I thought my folks had cast me to go live with a witch. ( white hair & all )
    I recall, she could grab a chicken, twist it’s neck & start pulling off the feathers . :eeek: Oh my !

But soon enough I found out that she made her own soap in that pot & also brought me breakfast in bed.

I was not a spoiled brat & she loved me because I listened to her & I enjoyed when she would tell me her
    life when she was a little girl living on a farm, the good times & rough times as well.
    I miss her so much ! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. DavidVillaJr

DavidVillaJr One of the Regulars

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/MAD750/media/PICT0297%202_zps007mkq10.jpg.html

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/MAD750/media/PICT0298_zpsgwr1bbdf.jpg.html

A little help for a friend?