Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Make or Brand of this Jacket?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Bought this a couple of weeks ago. I don’t buy many originals now because they are hard to find in good condition in the UK these days. But this one is really quite good for its age and the hide is unmarked. The lining is good synthetic fleece and there are no stains or tears anywhere.

The zip is a Conmatic which dates the jacket from the mid fifties to the mid sixties. But the style and red brown colour and the fairly lightweight FQHH makes me think it’s likely to be from the mid to late fifties.

Anyone have an idea who the seller or maker could have been? I thought possibly Sears Hercules or Ward from the distinctive piping on the front….

But there were so many US companies selling these sorts of bomber jackets in the decade or so after the war.

P1190007.jpg

P1190013.jpg
P1190009.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! You did well. Condition and fit are excellent. As you said, many companies put their label in this style of jacket. The front pockets are often seen on Hercules form the 50s and many other labels. I have unlabeled vintage jackets that are the same as Hercules labeled jackets. The 50s were big for all type of leather jackets.

I'd like to know who made all these jackets for all the catalog stores. I have figured out that Appalachian Leather in TN made some of the Sears Oakbrook. I have the same jacket with both labels.

These makers apparently sold jackets with no company label to smaller retailers. Lots of labels but probably only a handful of makers.

That is a nice looking jacket of any vintage!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks tmitchell. Yes, you wrote on your Windward thread to the effect that some of these jackets are unidentifiable. This one might have been sold and branded by Sears, but it might equally have been sold by one of a number of other outlets too and branded by them. I doubt than anyone is likely to know who actually made most of these post war jackets for the big companies. They were leather clothing manufacturers who got a contract with a big store or mail order business, and perhaps like the one you mention above supplied more than one outlet with identical jackets. So this jacket like others could well have been sold in more than retail outlet with different labels on it.

Bit like trying to track down the actual companies making clothing for the big brands now. Except these old makers are all long gone and mostly forgotten about….

The only way I would get closer to the outlet brand would be if someone here had or has an identical jacket and could pin it down to a possible that way. But it’s a long shot and even then it wouldn’t be conclusive for the reasons given above.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how many of these jackets were made postwar by companies who had previously made A2s and such under contracts to the army?

Monarch of Milwaukee
Appalachian leather had war contracts for gloves. also made Sears Oakbrook, Sears Fieldmaster jackets and I would guess some Sears Hercules in the 50s. They started business in the early 40s and morphed into Taylor leather I think I got that correct. Taylor still makes police leathers.

Pritzer and Sons, not sure I spelled that. I have a pre-war Hercules with their label. They had Military contracts.

Some jackets can be identified. The Monarchs are very distinctive when not labeled. These guys who have had these jackets apart have a way of identifying makers. I don't have the knowledge.

Styled and made in California who made all those jackets?

I try, but I usually end up with nothing as far as research.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family

Yes, But that one has the front pockets almost enclosed by the piping and it's closer to them. Rather like a Montgomery Ward shearling lined one I had a little while ago, but sold on because it was a bit too well worn for me as a wearable jacket. That style of piping enclosing the pockets was more common at the time I think. I always thought it was a stylistic nod to the patch pockets on the A2 which the bomber jacket got its inspiration from.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Different companies used different colored liners. A lining shot could help. Also a shot of where the tag was stitched (for label size)...

The lining can be just seen in the close up. It’s an olive fleece. I’ll put up another pic of where the brand label should be but I can’t see any sign that one or a size label was ever there. I suspect it never had them for whatever reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana