Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this Aero hide?

Back in 2012 I was sent this sample. It is marked Oil-pull Horse. I love it, but now I'm wondering if it is really something else- storse perhaps?
IMG_4223.JPG
Any ideas?
It is amazingly pliable compared to FQHH samples and jackets I've handled from Aero.

IMG_4224.JPG

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Well, there is Horse written on the back... Seems like it could be a clue.

Isn't jerky horse tumbled and softer than regular FQHH?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As I recall 2012 was the tail end of the Will Lauder era, so who knows what it might be? When I pulled out my samples to compare, yours seems to approximate a sample of goatskin that has an incredibly nice hand.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Grain looks like cowhide. Then again, when I first saw Vicenca Horsehide, I thought the grain looked very different to Horweens CLX HH, too, so my confidence in identifying HH has kind of faded... I don't think it is goat, not pebbly enough in structure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
2018-05-27 12.57.35.jpg 2018-05-27 12.57.47.jpg

Above is a sample of goatskin sent by Holly quite awhile back that looks very similar to your sample. Again though, who knows what yours is??!!

IMG_4228.JPG Here it is next to the CXL FQHH (also well massaged) piece that I was sent at the same time:

Last edited:
Send it in for DNA testing.

Which is the only way to be sure.

If it says horse, that's what I'd believe. There's certainly horsehide like that. I've seen Vicenza grainier than this so... No point speculating too much about it.

Dav

One Too Many
It looks like one of my oil pull samples from around that period, the others look very different.
P_20180528_090836-1632x1224.jpg
P_20180528_090808-1632x1224.jpg

Interesting to see how the marker pen has shown through the bottom right sample, I wouldn't have expected that.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
It looks more like steerhide/cowhide than Vicenza/Jerky HH. Marked as Oil-Pull HH is confusing though. I think - "Lauder era, so who knows what it might be" - that's the clue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21