Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I tried to get him to sell it to me, but not go, then tried to get him to leave it to me in his will. It's a bit small for me. Can hat brims be stretched? By the way. I know nothing about hats. How do you tell what size you wear?
Also, any guess how much it would go for. My uncle would be tickled pink.
Thanks,

Wesslyn

Practically Family
It'd go for a pretty penny. A very desirable hat, and for good reason. Diplomats are excellent and vita felt is beloved in these parts. You should check out sold ebay auctions on vita felt Stetsons for fair ballpark figures.
You CAN stretch hats about one size or so but I don't really recommend it. Lots of new hat wearers feel that a hats proper fit is a bit small, at least in my experience, so I'd get in the habit of wearing hats often before deciding to stretch it, because down the line you could regret it.

40Cal

One Too Many
I tried to get him to sell it to me, but not go, then tried to get him to leave it to me in his will. It's a bit small for me. Can hat brims be stretched? By the way. I know nothing about hats. How do you tell what size you wear?
Also, any guess how much it would go for. My uncle would be tickled pink.
Thanks,
Vita -Felt was produced by Stetson from ( roughly) 1942 to 1945. They are great hats... your Uncle is a lucky man. Lots of factors determine the worth though.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
stetson-hats-14-1.jpg

4a101b9babbc3_110038b.jpg

694e7131facc53d953caec8342471a0b--brim-hat-mens-hats.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks

Thanks for all the response. I know nothing about hats, accept I bought a straw Resistol from an old fashioned hat store in Albuquerque way back in 1972. The guy fitted me, and blocked the hat with the kind of service you don't see too much anymore.

Can anyone recommend where I can get a hat like my Uncles (obviously not a 1947 Stetson). Just measured my head, it is 23-1/4 inches, I guess a 7-1/2?

Just starting down this rabbit hole. Don't want to spend a fortune, just want a good starter felt, short brim.

Thanks,

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If money is no object (or, your budget goes to $400), I'd send those pictures and the Stetson ads to Art Fawcett, and pick a felt color. There are lots of hats in a similar style on ebay, though judging by the ads, it originally had a relatively deep flange.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
If money is no object (or, your budget goes to $400), I'd send those pictures and the Stetson ads to Art Fawcett, and pick a felt color. There are lots of hats in a similar style on ebay, though judging by the ads, it originally had a relatively deep flange.
Not ready to drop too much on a hat. Gotta study it some more first. If it isn't too much to ask could you send me a link to a similar one on ebay, or even Stetson. Gotta try some first before before I contact Art. I think I am 7 3/8 but not sure. Been wearing the same tweed news boy hat for 25 years. Speaking of which what is a good name for one of those?

Thanks for the tips.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks
Went to a family event where my uncle was wearing this Stetson. He didn't know much about it. I know nothing about hats.
Can anyone tell what this is?

Thanks.

View attachment 92656
View attachment 92657
View attachment 92658

My uncle sent more pictures of his Stetson Diplomat Vita Felt. I think the story goes that it sat in this box in the garage of one of his parishioners for 30 years or so. He would love to know anything more about it that anyone can share. Maybe an Antiques Road Show estimate appraisal. He's excited to learn more about his hat.
Thanks,

1110171949.jpg

1110171949a.jpg

1110171948.jpg

1110171946b.jpg

1110172013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points