Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is with this hat?

anon`

One Too Many
A couple months ago, I picked up this Mallory at the Portland antique show, for a pretty good price. Figured that it'd do me well to have a white-ish lid for warm weather and all.

But two or three months on, I'm not so sure. I haven't worn the hat out once, because it just doesn't seem "right" with, well, anything.

So I thought I'd solicit some thoughts from the rest of y'all on the matter. My gut feeling is that the crown and brim are out of sorts with one another. Either the crown needs to be higher, or the brim shorter.

DSCN3769.JPG

DSCN3770.JPG

DSCN3771.JPG

DSCN3772.JPG

DSCN3773.JPG

So whaddya think? Dare I cut the brim down (or rather, beg someone else to do it)? Or should I just look to sell it and get something else? And while we're at it, if anyone would like to take a stab at dating it, I'm all ears.

Please be honest... if you like the hat, great, but I'm really not that wild about it, and a threadful of "great hats" doesn't help me all that much. Danke! =)

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like it could use a bit of a brim trim (Where is Gene? :D )

but unless you love the thing I'd just try to sell it [huh]

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Well it all looked fine until I saw the third picture. In my opinion (so feel free to discard) the crown is too tapers and too short for the brim. Or the crown is too tapered and the brim is too wide. Either way...I agree that it looks...odd.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If there's a since 1827/1823 on it, it's pretty easy to date. Without that, I'd say late '40s, but it's hard to be sure without seeing the mallory logo.

White hats are pretty rare, especially with the cavanagh edge. If you don't particularly care for it, I'd say put it up for sale. With good detailed pictures of all the inner markings you could probably make a pretty penny on it.

RBH

Bartender
I think you are right on both counts. [for my taste]
Check with a hatter and see if he can re-block the hat. Take a little of the brim and put it in the crown. If you like a wide ribbon that would hid any tell tale sign of the way it was.
Hope this helps!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day Mr Anon.

Hat looks fine sans noggin, but if you really want some informed feedback we need to see it on your melon! Ultimately though, it's going to come down to your personal taste and whether you like it. I dare say that even after Gene the Ripper gets to it, if you really don't like it now, you'll still be unsure about it post hacking.

But let's start with a noggin shot.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
RBH said:
I think you are right on both counts. [for my taste]
Check with a hatter and see if he can re-block the hat. Take a little of the brim and put it in the crown. If you like a wide ribbon that would hid any tell tale sign of the way it was.
Hope this helps!

:arated:

What he said.

anon`

One Too Many
Wow... I should post threads in this forum more often. They actually get replies! :D

Anyway...

Dinerman~ No date. The hat, as you can see, is unlined. The only logo appears on the sweat, and reads "Mallory Twelve Fifty" and "Regd Mallory Cravanette Trademark" in an oval below that. The hat was either sold or owned by Tom Eggleston of 602 Union St in Seattle. UHC&MW tag puts it after... 1934, was it? The sweat is stitched directly to the body; no reeding. And the edge isn't actually a Cavanaugh. It's just an underwelt that's been stitched down. Otherwise... I gots nothing.

RBH~ That's actually a really good idea... hadn't even crossed my mind to look at having it reblocked. Might have to start begging around.

Or maybe I'll just wind up selling the thing. I don't think it's a particularly special hat, but for the colour.

4and1

One of the Regulars
I was impressed by the hideousness of the band. I bet a narrow(er) ribbon in a more contrasting color would help that hat. But passing it along may be the best suggestion, someone will like it as is.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey Anon, you know I have had numerous hats in which the straight center dent bash just didn't work. The block is just too tapered. One thing I've found is to do a modified center dent. Some call it a star or cross bash, (whatever) but it helps to take the taper out. It might help the looks. Put in the regular center dent as you have but perhaps not so deep. Then towards the back make a cross dent. It will look like this. This has helped me save numerous hats from a reblock. It this doesn't help, then either sell it or have it blocked again.
IMG20071102_20080419_0001_1.jpg

fedoralover

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I like doing, and trying things myself, so I would:

1. try the modified bash described above. Looking at that third picture, however, I might then have to go right to

2. a reblock. I have a block Ive been itching to try and that hat would be a good candidate if I had it.

3. If any of that didnt work, I'd sell, or give it away.

jpbales

Practically Family
blah taper

the taper really puts me off- but perhaps it's possible that the center crease is sort of sucking the top of the hat inwards causing the taper [huh] a diamond or teardrop crease may help. If not, the re-blocking idea is a pretty good one

MCrider

A-List Customer
I'd say reblock and trim if you liked the hat or it had some special meaning... But since you say you have nothing to wear it with and haven't even worn it out once, I'd sell it. No reason to cut down a vintage hat and still not like it because of color, taper or whatever.

PS: What size did you say it was? lol lol

I have the same problem

the first "real" hat I got has the same issues. too wide of a brim and way too much taper for a guy who now wears campdrafts. if you don't like the look of the crown on you, it won't matter the size of the brim, you won't be happy with it.

if you're in love with the felt and the color, I'd send it it optimo and have it rebocked in a style you like more.

else, sell it and put the money towards something that you do like.

-Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana