What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Jerekson, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Interestingly, when what became the A-10 Warthog was in the planning stages, the Air Force was told it needed a prop plane for the mission requirements. AF was having nothing of it, and demanded a jet aircraft. I think this plane, with a variable pitch propellor, will have more flexibility than the A-10. We'll see how this plays out and if the AF gets more of the prop driven LAA. I don't get the impression that they are intending to replace the A-10, but more to supplement it.

2. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

I think you are on the money. I’m a fan of the A-10, but I think in certain situations, the Wolverine will be able to supply tighter support. We will see. (I remember joking with a French guy I work with: “what’s the biggest Air Force in the World? The USAF. What is the second biggest Air Force in the world? The US Navy.”)

Peacoat and Trenchfriend like this.
  3. Peacoat

Hah, good comment.

I did a lot of medivac missions and rescue missions in RVN. My favorite fixed wing aircraft for giving me support was the A1-E Skyraider. It could deliver as much or more ordinance than the jets and stay on station longer than the jets–usually the F-4s out of Phan Rang, which is what we had in the Central Highlands. Seems like as soon as the jets got there and made one or two passes, they had to go home to refuel and rearm. Most frustrating. I only saw them at a distance. They were fast and pretty, but not that useful. And we never saw them again after they went to rearm and refuel; Hillsboro always had another mission for them. I know that was frustrating for our Coveys (Air Force forward aircraft controllers) as well.

I still had to go in and make the rescue without the jets to keep the heads down. Of course, I had the Army gunships coming in on my wing, but it was nice to have the big bombs drop in front of me as I was going in. The jets couldn't do this as they were expended, out of fuel and too fast. The A1-Es could do it all.

Where I worked, the VNAF (Vietnamese Air Force) flew most of the A1-E missions. As I remember, their call sign was Sandy. They were absolutely fearless, as were the VNAF helicopter pilots.

So, give me Army gunships and prop planes for close in support.

Boomerang, Tiki Tom and Trenchfriend like this.
  4. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

My older brother was a UH1 pilot with the Americal Division. I was EW crew on a U21, Guardrail, in the 70s. My brother had a few hair raising stories to tell, including getting shot down and having to hold his position for hours until a team arrived to get him out. Visited my brother on his deathbed in 2019. He had his Vietnam hat on his bedside table. R.I.P.

Peacoat and Trenchfriend like this.
  5. Peacoat

Yes, R.I.P.

He may have been one of my co-pilots, one of my students, or in my flight school class. We are a tight knit group. Please PM me with his name and flight school class, if known.

6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Loungers, it's so silent here. :D

7. Peacoat

Yes, it is. Where is everybody?

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I once flew to SanFran/Cathay Pacific first class in a 747. It was sublime.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  9. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

P-52 Mustang for and F4U Corsair, but as a reenact as a WASP ans they flew mustangs probably the mustang

Attached Files:

Trenchfriend likes this.
  10. Salmosalar

Salmosalar One of the Regulars

F14 Tomcat for me too…..SR71 Blackbird a very close second though! On this side of the pond I think it would have to be the Vulcan.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

Trenchfriend likes this.
  12. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A FLASHBACK dream last night with F4 Phantoms laying down the law against these Greek paras
    forty five years ago. Saw two squads of paras disappear, surreal sounds, felled ordinance shook ground.
    Awakened at 02.00, tried without success to get back to sleep.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  13. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

As a kid an uncle, related by marriage, took me to flight shows several times, been quite impressive.
    He served as a mechanic in Rudel‘s Stuka squadron during war and never really got over that time. He went to some vets meetings but quit that after a few times, disgusted by the Nazi nostalgia to be experienced at those occasions.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Harp and Trenchfriend like this.
  14. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

On the multipurpose topic like the Catalina, another nice one comes to my mind. The Arado 196. Nice little (low wing aircraft) working horse, built in after all 500+ units, mostly in Warnemünde (Rostock).