What is Your Favorite Hat Brand, and Why?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by splintercellsz, Aug 7, 2013.

1. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

As the title states, what is your favorite Hat Brand & Hat from said company, and why?

For me, my favorite hat brand would have to be Stetson. The reason being is that my Grandfather wore Stetsons when he was younger, and he is the reason I started wearing hats. That, and the fact that there is so much history to the company, my thirst is never quenched, as I am always learning something new!

My favorite Stetson is my 1900s Expo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What are yours?

2. Brand = Stetson
    Model = Wanderer
    [​IMG]

3. hatsRme

hatsRme

Okay, Splinty, I'll play... But I simply can't pick just one brand! Each has its own special qualities, or properties; be that style, materials, details, whatever. Sometimes its simply the rarity of the hat(s). Of the present-day hat makers accommodating my style, I guess Mr. Fawcett is the current favorite based on the several VS hats I own. But like all things of fashion, this could change... or not. He does continue to reinvent and broaden his line enough to keep our attention (I.E. FINE Milans!!).

4. Banky

Banky One of the Regulars

I guess this question gets compartmentalized for me. I.E.: Vintage: Stetson, Modern production: Akubra, Modern hand made: Gotta stick with Brass rooster customs followed closely by Art.

5. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Interesting thread...nailing down one particular favorite hat brand is going to be tough, especially after seeing so many nice lids on this forum. Of course Stetson is going to be on the list. I have a Bradford LTD. OR clone that I like really well. Neither of my Stetsons come close to touching it.

6. winter_joe

winter_joe A-List Customer

I've always like the styling of Disney and my first vintage is a Disney. And as for favorite hat it my VS whippet clone in oxblood always the most comfortable hat I put on

7. J.C. Penny's Marathon

In the modern hats I remain very happy with Akubra as a brand that has a balance of quality at an affordable price.
    I have several old hats including a Bosalino, Dobbs, Champ, Adams, but for an all around hat the J.C. Penny's Marathon seems so right.

8. I like 'em all, but since I have more Stetsons by far than anything else, it'd have to be John B.

9. elveston

elveston Familiar Face

Unfortunately, I don't yet have at least one of each brand. But, I'm working on it!

10. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

I only own Stetsons and Resistols...

11. splintercellsz

Why fellas, why!! What are your reasons for honing in on certain brands? for me, like stated above, I enjoy Stetsons due to my Grandfather wearing them.

12. Missouri Mason

Missouri Mason Familiar Face

I vote for Akubra, hands down. They are by far the toughest hats I've ever owned, damn fine looking lids too. I would venture to say that Akubra offers the best price to quality ratio in the hat business.

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

J. Hückel´s Söhne
    P. & C. Habig Wien
    A. Peschel
    Pre 1940

Really any Austrian or German make from the early 1900s.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. fashion frank

fashion frank One Too Many

The Dobb's Hat company hats because I like the quality and style .
    I now have about 4 or 5 Dobbs that all "look" alike as far as the style but of course in different colors .

As other posters already stated it is hard to just nail it down to one brand .

Justin we are all going to miss you my man , you have been a big part of this Forum and your a great guy !

All the Best , Fashion Frank

15. splintercellsz

I agree with how hard it is to nail it down, but I am just curious to see what everyone goes for!

Frank, thank you, Sir! 19 days and counting!

16. Brian Niebuhr

Brian Niebuhr One of the Regulars

Easy for me to nail one down. Akubra. The only dang one I can afford! If I were rich I'd be checking out VS. That reminds me, I was going to buy a lotto ticket on my way home tonight. Well, Akubra it remains.
    Ok so it's not only price. I think they use crack somewhere in the felting process as well. I just can't seem to get enough!

17. GamaH

GamaH A-List Customer

I have Stetsons, Borsalinos, and Optimos. Optimo hands down.

18. DougC

DougC Practically Family

Stetson...I'm from Texas...enough said.

BUT, I like my Optimo, Borsolino and Akubra...not necessarily in that order.

19. Banky

Banky One of the Regulars

Ah yeah, I neglected the why portion of the question. Vintage stetsons because they have some iconic designs I really love. Modern Akubras because I feel they're price to quality ratio cannot be matched by any other modern production hat. BrassRooster hand made customs because I help make them and Art because they're some of the finest hats available at a very reasonable price by someone who is very pleasant to conduct business with.

20. Let's revisit this:
    Current modern factory brand = Akubra, tough, well-made, good value
    Custom hatter brand = Vintage Silhouettes, extremely well-made, exquisite attention to detail, reasonable price point, perfect fit
    Vintage factory brand = Stetson, synonymous for hat, wish they made them like they used to...had good competition from Lee, Knox, Disney, Champ, etc.