Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Some preliminary shots for the Golden era... I'll take better ones.. soon. The diamond crease is hard to make out... what do you think?

Open
Open-vi.jpg

Center creased
Centercrease-vi.jpg

Center crease with front pinch creases
Brimupfrontandback-vi.jpg

Center crease with side creases
IMG_5283-vi.jpg

Diamond crease
IMG_5282-vi.jpg

Teardrop crease
teardropcrown-vi.jpg

Porkpie
porkpiecrown-vi.jpg

ideaguy

One Too Many
creases

nice shots,thank you. do you have any advice for someone with a Jiffy
steamer, a few hats, and the need to make good-looking diamond & teardrop
creases? I hear tell there's aids to help without having to own blocks-I want to
do it by hand and not have them look lumpy. any hints?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
All those creases shown were done by hand... I go old school. Back in the 20's and 30's and most of the hats were sold open crowned and shaped by hand.
Selling them preshaped or as some catalogs in the 50's refer to it, preblocked in a certain shape came later.

=MKD=

Matt Deckard said:
All those creases showen were done by hand... I go old school. Back in the 20's and 30's and most of the 04's, hats were sold open crowned and shaped by hand.
Selling them preshaped or as some catalogs in the 50's refer to it, preblocked in a certain shape came later.

=MKD=

Yup. A trip through old photo archives clearly verifies Matt's observation. You bought 'em, you pinched 'em. Or had the sales clerk do it for you.

qwerty

Familiar Face
I actualy wanted to make a thread about this subject asking for some expert's advice. And this came just like orderd.
Are these all sorts of creases that can be done to a hat, or are there more?

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Same hat?

Thanks for doing this Matt, very nice. Were all but the Teardrop done on the same hat? And, if so, did you steam them in between each shape, or just pop it open and rebash?

By the way, I had been meaning to compliment you on your previous avatar - good looking hat, and a very nice picture of you.

Regards,

- Mark

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
... tell me though, what block(s) do you have to achive the initial open crown?

An open crown is the easiest. Just steam and pop the crown up, continue to steam any remaining crease marks and press from both sides of the felt with your fingers. To get the smooth ridge around the outside on the teardrop and porkpie, steam and run your finger tip inside the crease, pushing out the dimples. Run your fingertip back and forth while it cools.

D

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those are beautiful hats and great examples of hand shaping. I am partial to the center crease. You have a nice touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points