1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by GamaH, Jun 3, 2011.

1. GamaH

GamaH A-List Customer

Personally, I'm partial towards the Teardrop crown after looking at the Teardrop Workshop thread. My first 2 fedoras had teardrop crowns, and I'm considering ordering a custom Milan from Optimo Hats in a teardrop crown as well (actually, more like I've decided on it, but I'm still open to suggestions).

So, do you have a favorite crease, or does it not matter to you? There is no criteria for it to be your favorite; it could be the type of crease that you have for most hats, or the crease that you wear the most. It can be whatever you consider it to be, based on anything.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Dm101 likes this.
  2. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

3. Most of my hats are eithe teardrop/C-crown or diamond for my fedoras. For OR style hats, I like the center dent with pinches. I wish more of my fedoras looked good with center dents. Don't currently have any in pork-pie style.

4. Joshbru3

Joshbru3 I'll Lock Up

Well my favorite crown shape is a 5 3/4 - 6 inch open crown with straight sides and no taper. That being said, my favorite crease for that crown is a center dent with front pinches. I do prefer a c-crown sometimes when the hat calls for it. Ive realized through the last year and half that not every hat can accept every kind of crease. Also, if being "period correct" matters to you, thats another factor as well when choosing a crease for a hat. I usually go for 20's - 30's proportions so for me the center dent is the way to go. On most of my 50's hats that have rounder crowns, I started with c-crowns, but then reblocked the hats to a straighter crown shape and put a center dent. Its a matter of preference, but also a matter of realizing what kind of block shape you have to work with. And as always with a felt hat, if you dont like the crown shape....re-block it. Just my 2 cents.

5. El Sid

El Sid New in Town

Hello, GamaH, I'm a rookie around here, but I won't let that stop me from offering my own views with great authority. I always liked the teardrop (though, admittedly, before my education at Fedora Lounge U, I called it a 'ballpark'). Now, however, I'm completely devoted to the diamond bash. To me it looks more Film Noir, which is the primary inspiration for my own fedora obession, and the diamond bash has an air of nonchalance that I like, as if it were careless and accidental. I also tend to mash the back down a little extra because I like the rakish upward sweep from the rear to the front. My straws generally have a teardrop, except for the Montecristi in my avatar, which sports a loose centerdent that seems to be traditional on a classic Panama. If I were ordering a custom Milan from Optimo--and I have no idea why I'm not, now that you mention it--I would request a diamond bash. Does anyone here rock a diamond bash on a straw? I don't think I've ever seen the combo, but I'd like to.

6. Brando11

Brando11 A-List Customer

Teardrop crown, fairly deep side dents and narrow, but not Indy-tight, front pinch. I must say, however, some of you guys are turning my head around with your center dent, relaxed front pinch hats.

7. SgtRick

SgtRick One of the Regulars

All my hats have the teardrop crown. No particulat reason other than I just like them.

8. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

1. The JimmyTheLid Patented Teardrop Crown!

Or

2. Jimmy's Diamond Arrowhead/Cross crease!

....for a fedora, at least.

9. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

Classic Center Dent with long front Pinches. The only way to go :)

10. GamaH

GamaH A-List Customer

Not completely related to this topic, but not off-topic either: When adding to hat collections, do you guys go for slight variations of the similar design, something that's tried and tested to look good on you (e.g.; having the exact same hat in different colors/finishes) or something completely new (e.g.; drastically different brim/crown size, crease)?

Also, does the material/finish of your hat determine the crease for you, or do you like having the same crease/crown/brim for every hat, regardless of whether it's straw or felt?

11. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

Center dent, moderate front pinch.

12. HatsEnough

HatsEnough Banned

Unless they are dented in that stinking Rancher Western style dent, I usually leave my latest acquisition in what ever dent it came with. Not always, mind you, but most of the time however it came to me is how I leave it.

13. The crease that the hat I am currently creasing seems to want to be...Listen to the crown felt & it'll tell you how it wants to be shaped...see the felt, feel the felt, hear the felt, be one with it....

14. alanfgag

alanfgag

Hat Zen... beautifully said GT!

15. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

ohmmmmmmmmm :)

16. Grooooovy, man!

17. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tom hasn't quite reached Jimmy's level of felt-whisperin', but he's getting eerily close...:D

M Hatman likes this.
  18. HatsEnough

HatsEnough Banned

You probably can't hear it, baby, but right now I am snapping my fingers in approval.

M Hatman likes this.
  19. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

My ideal is to start with a nice straight crown, then add a simple center crease with a well defined front pinch.

The hat in my avatar is an example of how I like my hats to look.

20. The Chief whispers to the felt. I listen to it = Yin & Yang...