What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Chiliarches, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Chiliarches

Chiliarches A-List Customer

I know there was/is a thread on this…but I believe that got hijacked to favorite booze in general. Let’s keep this one specific – what is your favorite Scotch Whisky? Of course, if you can also add a review or detail, that would be splendid.

I don’t know whisky too well, but I am trying to learn. Of the few I have tried, my favorite so far is Glenlivet 15.

2. Scapa.

3. Guinness

Guinness New in Town

What is your favorite scotch?

Dalwhinne

4. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

This time of year I favor Springbank.

5. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

Glenmorangie - Madiera Finish

6. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

Chivas 15 or 18 is good.

7. Boodles

Boodles A-List Customer

Lagavulin 16

Lagavulin 16 Year is not so affordable nowadays but I find it quite nice for the odd occasion. I have not tried the 21 Year.

8. djhatman

djhatman One of the Regulars

Johny Walker Blue

9. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt A-List Customer

Blended? Dewars. Single malt? Oban and--when the mood strikes--Lagavulin 16.

10. Boodles

Boodles A-List Customer

Whoops, I forgot about Oban

Oban needs to be on my list for sure.

11. In blended I tend to give Famous Grouse as gifts and have yet to hear any "grousing" on the recipients part. Everyone compliments on how much they like it.

12. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Blend: Johnny Walker Swing

Single: Ardbeg

B Dale Mauger likes this.
  13. Ethan Bentley

lol What a nice gift-giver you are. Have you tried the smokier Black Grouse?

I was crawling about in the cellar the other evening and found an unopened bottle of Famous Grouse Liqueur is anyone familiar with this?

How does this compare to the other colours?

14. I have only tasted the regular Famous Grouse and seen there is a 12 year old version, but never seen the liquor or Black version.

15. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

Glenfiddich, 12 year old. I prefer it to the 15 year old. Served in a proper, Glencairn glass!

http://www.whiskyglass.com/

I haven't tried the 18 year old, yet. I prefer it to the Glenlivet, and any blended Scotch.

16. Ethan Bentley

Ah I didn't know that's what that sort of glass was called, coincidentally I have one of those glasses which has Glenfiddich on it. I also can heartily recommend the 18 but I was less keen on the 21. The 30 is nice but very very expensive so I stick with the 18. And I agree the 12 is better than the 15 IMO.

17. WineGuy

WineGuy A-List Customer

a'bunadh

Aberlour a'bunadh Speyside Single Malt, single cask, cask strength, non chilled filtered and aged in Sherry oak casks. Ahh, this is the Scotch that made me a Scotch drinker eight years ago. Deep, rich, pralines, charred caramel, bitter sweet chocolate, and dried orange peel notes. Very little peat or smoke. There is no age listed because they pick a different Butt each year to match a style. Unless you are addicted to iodine, you should seek this one out.

18. jwalls

jwalls Vendor

Laphroaig 10 year old. Great smoky flavor.

19. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try the 18

I did a Jameson's Irish whiskey taste test, and found that the the "regular" 12 year old was good, then they get stronger as they age. Except, at a certain point they start to mellow again, and become really good. Of course, that's the point where they start to get really expensive. [huh]

20. It's funny that we can bandy about all of these different years of whiskies and brandy with out realizing the cost of smiply storing the product in barrels for all those years. That's definately tied up a lot of cash for quite a while. I think that when one realizes the cost of storing to make 8-12-15 YO and on up the price of a bottle begins to shrink a bit.

It's similar to the apple cider jump. Fresh cider is priced x, add yeast and take the time to make hard cider, the price is 3X to 4X, let that hard cider store and become apple cider vinegar and the price is 8X to 12X. Every step and every storage adds to the cost.