Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
I know there was/is a thread on this…but I believe that got hijacked to favorite booze in general. Let’s keep this one specific – what is your favorite Scotch Whisky? Of course, if you can also add a review or detail, that would be splendid.

I don’t know whisky too well, but I am trying to learn. Of the few I have tried, my favorite so far is Glenlivet 15.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
In blended I tend to give Famous Grouse as gifts and have yet to hear any "grousing" on the recipients part. Everyone compliments on how much they like it.

lol What a nice gift-giver you are. Have you tried the smokier Black Grouse?

I was crawling about in the cellar the other evening and found an unopened bottle of Famous Grouse Liqueur is anyone familiar with this?

Smithy said:
Blend: Johnny Walker Swing

How does this compare to the other colours?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Lone_Ranger said:
Glenfiddich, 12 year old. I prefer it to the 15 year old. Served in a proper, Glencairn glass!

http://www.whiskyglass.com/

I haven't tried the 18 year old, yet. I prefer it to the Glenlivet, and any blended Scotch.

Ah I didn't know that's what that sort of glass was called, coincidentally I have one of those glasses which has Glenfiddich on it. I also can heartily recommend the 18 but I was less keen on the 21. The 30 is nice but very very expensive so I stick with the 18. And I agree the 12 is better than the 15 IMO.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
a'bunadh

Aberlour a'bunadh Speyside Single Malt, single cask, cask strength, non chilled filtered and aged in Sherry oak casks. Ahh, this is the Scotch that made me a Scotch drinker eight years ago. Deep, rich, pralines, charred caramel, bitter sweet chocolate, and dried orange peel notes. Very little peat or smoke. There is no age listed because they pick a different Butt each year to match a style. Unless you are addicted to iodine, you should seek this one out.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
Ah I didn't know that's what that sort of glass was called, coincidentally I have one of those glasses which has Glenfiddich on it. I also can heartily recommend the 18 but I was less keen on the 21. The 30 is nice but very very expensive so I stick with the 18. And I agree the 12 is better than the 15 IMO.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try the 18

I did a Jameson's Irish whiskey taste test, and found that the the "regular" 12 year old was good, then they get stronger as they age. Except, at a certain point they start to mellow again, and become really good. Of course, that's the point where they start to get really expensive. [huh]

It's funny that we can bandy about all of these different years of whiskies and brandy with out realizing the cost of smiply storing the product in barrels for all those years. That's definately tied up a lot of cash for quite a while. I think that when one realizes the cost of storing to make 8-12-15 YO and on up the price of a bottle begins to shrink a bit.

It's similar to the apple cider jump. Fresh cider is priced x, add yeast and take the time to make hard cider, the price is 3X to 4X, let that hard cider store and become apple cider vinegar and the price is 8X to 12X. Every step and every storage adds to the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto