Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your personal 'No-No' for makeup, hair, & wardrobe?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Each person has their own personal style, and of course what works for one doesn't work for another.

I was just curious as to what is your personal "No-No" for makeup, hair, & wardrobe.

For myself & for starters...
No eyeliner or mascara on my bottom eyelid & lashes
No orange color of any kind on my face
No 'pencil skirts' for me....(although I wish)...

I was doing my make-up this morning and thought this would be an interesting question.

Elaina

One Too Many
Anything that draws attention to my mouth, specifically teeth.

After years of anorexia, finally got over that to have a baby, then got put on chemotherapy...my teeth are shot. Worse then shot. To the point I no longer smile, talk with my mouth open, or laugh.

It's why I play up my eyes so much. I can coordinate neutral shades with the best of them.

Elaina

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I also use no mascara on my lower lashes and seldom use eyeliner because it tends to make my eyes look smaller. Pink eyeshadows tend to make me look funny, too.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me it's no orange tones. I also don't wear pink on my eyes, I just think it tends to make them look swollen.
For wardrobe, no gauchos, I'm too short for them. Also, nothing that's tight around the ankle, no tummy revealing shirts with very low jeans. I did this a lot in the early nineties. This style just seems to never go away. Also, I try not to wear light tan conlor tops. White is nice, especially a nice winter white. But light tan just drowns me out.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I dont use eyeliner (mostly because of my shaky hands, but it also just looks kind of weird on me) and have never used foundation. I could probably use something to even out my skintone, but moisturizer and SPF is good enough for me. I hate not wearing blush though, I just look so dead without it.

As for hair, I can't be without bangs. Symmetrical rolls also look horrible on me, and I definitely wont be dying my hair a light color anytime soon.

I also look wretched in anything (blouses especially) that dont show off my waistline. I have very big hips, but also a very tiny waist, and if I wear shirts that are cut squarely I look about 30 lbs bigger than I actually am. I also dislike most A-line skirts because I feel they make me look bigger. I'm one of those gals that likes showing off their big ol' hips, so pencil skirts are where it's at for me!

Naama

Practically Family
I don't wear lipstick during the day, it's too hard to keep it looking good all the time :( I'd never wear any too short/thight shirts, no bright colours for my eyes, only black and dark browns, no long skirts, because I would look like a dwarf and no liqiud eyeliner for me.

Naama

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
No black eyeliner (looks too severe on me [huh] )
no lipsticks in the pink or orangy shades
I can't wear anything high waisted since I have a short torso but am all legs, I'd just look plain funny!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Pale lipsticks (or no lipstick) and lack of blush make me look even more ghostly, so I always stick with very bright shades of lipstick and make sure I apply a bit of rouge.

Low-waisted pants are a huge no-no--I have a long torso and they just look bizarre on me.

Another fashion no-no is wearing clothing that is not tailored. Like pigeon toe, I have a very small waist and round hips. Anything that is not tailored through the waist (including those empire waist tops so popular these days) makes me look frumpy.

Rosie

One Too Many
No eyeliner on the lower lid. I'm not sure if it's just me, but it always seems to end up UNDER my eye. [huh] Very strange.

No skirts or dresses above my calf. I'm a BIG legged girl and it just doesn't look right, I never cover up my legs, nor am I ashamed of them, but too short a skirt does me no justice.

I'll add to the tailored clothes comment. I have a small waist and a really big bottom and un tailored items usually make me look bigger than I am. When I first began wearing vintage style clothes, people thought I lost LOTS of weight, because I went from wearing big baggy hip hop-py goth-y clothes to wearing clothes that actually fit. The cut of my clothes made a huge difference.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
1. No mascara on bottom lashes.
2. No bangs no matter how cute they look on other girls.
3. No pastel clothing, I look like an Easter egg.
4. No coral or orange blush or lipstick, as a pink person it looks really fake.
5. Baggy shirts add weight. Lots of weight. I have shoulders and I have a chest, so baggy things just drape straight down from my shoulders and make me look like a sofa.

Viola

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No low-rise anything for me -- I have a middle-aged belly and low rise pants look really dumb with a girdle poking out of the top.

No low-cut necklines -- I'm small-busted, and it just looks like a desperate cry for help.

No eyeshadow during the day. I have chronic dark circles under my eyes that resist any coverup short of Spackle, and coupling that with shadow up top gives me Uncle Fester eyes.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
No low-cut necklines -- I'm small-busted, and it just looks like a desperate cry for help.
I have been watching "Project Runway" and there is a woman (I quite like her designs) who is small-busted, and with a rather boney upper body. She frequently wears low and wide necklines that display rather more sternum than decollete, with the effect of message boards pleading for her to cover up and quit the anatomy lesson.

I have a personal aversion to ankle bracelets.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I never leave the house without makeup, haven't since 1981 when I first started wearing it. The world isn't ready for that.
No tucking in my blouse, stupid short torso and big boobs.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No going out of the front door without at least eyeliner: I'm a redhead, but not the kind with the whitish eyebrows and lashes; I have pupils that strangely don't contract so along with being a little painful it looks like I have devil dots if I don't wear my signature eyeliner.
I have not discovered the concealer that covers the red chin and to a lesser extent the red nose, forget about being long lasting: I must use face powder on top of it, too. Don't need rouge, tho ;)
(A must: orange lipstick. I love it.)
No faddish clothes. I don't even like to see 'em on other people! lol

Camille

Familiar Face
I'm tall, too tall, so low-waistline pants makes me look like I have an oversized upper body and no bum whatsoever.

No t-shirts of any kind, either. I'm a blouse/jumper kind of gal.

As of makeup? Uh... I dunno. I usually put it on to fit the occasion, so anything that would be totally wrong for whatever it is I'm doing is a no-no, I suppose.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Not sure about makeup no-nos but I have a yes-yes! I have to apply eyebrow pencil or I look (to me) so weird, washed out and eyebrowless. I have very dark hair but extremely pale eyebrows, it's so bizarre!

Oh! I also can't wear lipstick all day. I have tried many many times, but by the end of the day it looks horrendous, bleeding out down the tiny fine lines I never knew were there around my lips. I wish I knew how to prevent that.

For wardrobe, I have a ridiculously long body, no boobs at all to speak of and an ample behind. I usually wear pencil skirts as I always worry circle skirts make me look hippy. I do wear them anyway sometimes ;) I spent many years wearing low slung skater style jeans which made my body look even longer. Never again! Dressing to suit your figure is the most important thing, regardless of your style!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No yellow clothes. They make me look ill.

No eyeliner or mascara on the bottom lid or lashes. It smears and makes me look old and tired. Besides, the racoon eyes--they are over.

No clothes that look tattered or don't fit.

No dirty shoes.

No wash-and-wear hair. I'll sooner go out with dirty hair pinned up or under a hat.

I rarely go out hatless.

No going out without minimal make-up: under-eye cover, mascara and lipstick.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
No eyeliner or mascara under eyes. I look like a raccoon ready for Halloween!:eek:

Mascara can only be brown, black is to harsh for me, and no clumps! I use Lash Stylist by Maybelline. It has a comb instead of a brush. I love this mascara!:D

I can only wear orangey shades of lipstick or rouge. Pink tones don't look natural on me.

No silver for me (jewelry or clothes colors) they are very unflattering on me.

No clingy fabrics for me...having 4 kids killed my figure, even with a girdle:eek:

I can never leave the house without...

Lipstick, mascara and my eyebrows groomed
earrings
a cute vintagey purse and in the fall and winter , a vintagey scarf around my neck:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana