What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Vezio

Vezio One of the Regulars

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  2. J Leather Investigater

J Leather Investigater One Too Many

I will give it a try then, I've been looking for some double front denim jeans. I will be looking at motor more for when they go up to my size, its just uncomfortable not knowing the size conversion.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  3. Riu

Riu Practically Family

Jin431 likes this.
  4. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Thanks bud! Definitely tight at first but I'm winning the break in especially around the shoulders. Your cafe racer looked great before but is now even better after the sleeve alteration. I want a black vintage CR for later

dannyk and Riu like this.
  5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just went to pick this one up from a seller who lives in nearby city. It was his uncle's riding jacket.

48821BEB-BB17-4F6E-B854-E6EA9C8FB20A.jpeg

7A8B27F6-5073-449A-A798-3CEBA6B97646.jpeg 50F914DB-6110-4A6D-858E-C8FFAB936DD2.jpeg

Whitters, Alexlutov, King B and 37 others like this.
  6. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Monitor, Marc mndt and dannyk like this.
  7. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

Marc mndt likes this.
  8. Riu

Riu Practically Family

Marc mndt likes this.
  9. Riu

Riu Practically Family

I'm sure you've had your share of fun with it. I'm curious what CR you're going to find.

Thank you, I start to like it more and more. I'm thinking to start with my other jacket design in goat probably, not in a rush though as I'm really enjoying this one.

IMG_5613.jpg

Whitters, Alexlutov, King B and 33 others like this.
  10. Marc mndt

Spectacular isn't it? Also look at the quality of the stitching. Double stitch lines on the collar. All straight and super close to the edges.

I don't have a clue about the maker, but it's made in England, the leather is fantastic, it's very well made and last but not least it's my size :D

880D9378-0138-42F9-B483-7B36F861EFBE.jpeg

Alexlutov, King B, jonbuilder and 8 others like this.
  11. Monitor

Monitor

12. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

+1 on the dedicated thread to this family heirloom, - you are a great person to keep such a treasure alive & kicking, Marc.

Jin431 and Marc mndt like this.
  13. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  14. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

It’s harder and harder to find these local hidden away and forgotten about jackets. Don’t have to be specific but what was the pricing like? Usually when you find these local “it was my so and so’s-in this case uncles- old riding jacket” they come for quite the steal when it comes to pricing as well. Congrats on one hell of a jacket.

Jin431 and Marc mndt like this.
  15. Marc mndt

Two cases of beer price range :)

Sometimes gems like these get overlooked because either the listing's photos are poor, or the jacket is missing a maker's label. In this case it was a combination of both.

I'm glad we already agreed on a price, because I couldn't contain my enthusiasm the second the seller showed the jacket to me when I went to pick it up this morning.

roadking04, AeroFan_07, Riu and 8 others like this.
  16. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Very nice find. And also fits perfectly. Top

It gets better and better. My next project will be steerhide too.

Riu and Marc mndt like this.
  17. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Ive been treating it well and making sure it gets worn. Maybe a Japan Schott 641xx or something similar.

The best thing about this jacket is that you have the template for all future purchases, so you just add or minus measurements on it depending on the jacket pattern and fit you want to achieve.

Very much so! I still don't have a clue about stitching techniques but I love me some clean straight even stitch work.

That's so true that you can enjoy wearing this lovely jacket. Could it be one of those old Connolly hides Aero uses?

Riu and Marc mndt like this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor

I'm going to repeat myself but the thing that I find most impressive & absolutely cool about this jacket is that while basically being a CHP reproduction - not necessarily Cal Leathers of course, as quite a few makers used to build the exact same jackets, spec'd by PD's - this particular maker decided not to do a direct copy but rather emulate it through chiefly British motorcycle leather jacket construction of the era, something that is evident all across the jacket. Might have been made by Mascot, Highwayman, Lewis Leathers, it's just got that vibe all over. . . Double stitch rows on the collar which in itself is shaped & cut exactly like on the Lightning, brown zipper tape, added lapel snap, etc., etc.
    That, above all, makes this jacket uniquely special to me.

antoine p, Mrfrown, Riu and 4 others like this.
  19. Riu

Riu Practically Family

As I was expecting the leather to be a bit stiffer I was a bit disappointed about the hide when I got it but I like it now. I thought about having the next project in steerhide too since there aren't too many options yet but I'll probably go with the goat.

I've seen a few really nice Schott CR's, good luck in finding a good one.

That's what I thought, just have to make sure I'm giving them the correct instructions :)

Jin431 likes this.
  20. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Marc mndt likes this.