What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. J Leather Investigater

J Leather Investigater One Too Many

Marc mndt likes this.
  2. J Leather Investigater

ES335 and navetsea like this.
  3. J Leather Investigater

Beautiful, I would have kept that 1

4. J Leather Investigater

King B likes this.
  5. Salmosalar

Salmosalar One of the Regulars

Yep - it is my heaviest by a country mile! Much more than any CXL FQHH I have - but it is also very soft and not at all stiff…

King B likes this.
  6. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

Fine Creek. Amazing leather, breaks in so very well. Arrived new and stiff. Now it has settled down and has begun molding to my body.

Attached Files:

VW1971, Turnip, Mrfrown and 16 others like this.
  7. J Leather Investigater

Nice, it turned into a keeper

sweetfights likes this.
  8. technovox

technovox One Too Many

Just picked up this new Johnson Leather Horsehide jacket yesterday. Taking it out for a beach ride. (Daughter took this photo.)

jl horsehide_bike_sml.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    VW1971, Turnip, sweetfights and 24 others like this.
  9. technovox

technovox One Too Many

And a few more close ups of the JL German Horsehide ...lots of character with this hide right out of the box.

JL left side.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

label.jpg

ES335, Turnip, sweetfights and 27 others like this.
  10. Leigh H

Leigh H One of the Regulars

sweetfights and technovox like this.
  11. JCSD

JCSD Practically Family

Johnson Leathers J24 inspired Cross Zip- Horween Vermont Horsehide

4FA98896-CAD9-430F-B56D-A300C4F1026B.jpeg

Turnip, sweetfights, Mrfrown and 30 others like this.
  12. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

That new hide (the suede-y touch?) looks nice and seems perfect for this type of jacket. The leather looks like an aniline finish and the varied grains looks great. I'm glad you can wear your leather jacket and doing an actual activity too, its baking on my part of the Bay lol

Gotta love that Seal Vermont and the natural accents with the brass go together well! Hope you had a great weekend

Mrfrown, King B, Canuck Panda and 2 others like this.
  13. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

wow JL is owning this page!, top leather, fit, and style on all jackets above

14. technovox

technovox One Too Many

You're right -this new brand of hide has kind of a fine velvety outerlayer that suggests suede. Very soft. Never seen this in a horsehide...and that's what sold me on it.

15. Salmosalar

Belstaff half-belt - a bit of a “fashion jacket” but has put in a decade of service and is a more lightweight option - I would not buy this brand again new as there are much better options out there for a lot less money. The leather itself is OK for a lightweight hide with a good drape and it has taken on some interesting patina over the years but the overall quality and craftsmansip for the price is not even close to what Vanson, Aero or Lewis 32FA45C2-B342-4E18-ABA8-D6CD0CC494CD.jpeg C75D1EF6-A81F-4408-B871-E46C22A3E2ED.jpeg 23DB8271-7825-458F-A190-C825E0288CA4.jpeg offer for a fraction of the cost - note the wonky stitching on the halfbelt for instance - but it is still just about clinging 32FA45C2-B342-4E18-ABA8-D6CD0CC494CD.jpeg C75D1EF6-A81F-4408-B871-E46C22A3E2ED.jpeg 23DB8271-7825-458F-A190-C825E0288CA4.jpeg on in the rotation as a beater…

Turnip, Mrfrown, navetsea and 18 others like this.
  16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I do like the design. I guess it's styled after this Windward Admiral Byrd.

295453EF-D927-4BE8-81D3-399D7C3C9F75.jpeg 7808FAED-CFFA-4A5B-B57B-8E023CEA9CB9.jpeg

17. Salmosalar

Yep - looks like a straight-up copy - it had the wrist straps too but I removed them as I hate having straps there (none on my Aero Wayfarers either) as they serve no great purpose for me and just get snagged on things endlessly - I guess the back is also similar to this Windward? The shoulder gussets are not something I really like either on jackets in general tbh but they are not too bad on this thinner leather given the slim fit overall - it has its place in the rotation but mostly squeezed out by better quality jackets from other makers these days. I think Belstaff had their heyday back in the 70s, and the cafe racer I have from that period is v close to the equivalent Lewis Monza. I trialled a few more recent models and moved them all on - this halfbelt and the 70s racer are the only ones I thought worth keeping….what do other Loungers feel about this brand and how it has changed over the years? I think it is more in the fashion ‘expensive mall jacket” territory these days, with not v interesting hides or patterns and the fits are pretty poor I find, with ridiculously long sleeves in particular - they even made their recent attempt at a Grizzly look mundane and run-of-the-mill, which takes some doing with such an otherwise striking design - one that Thedii and Himel have really perfected imo…. Any thoughts on Belstaff leathers from the FL? They were once an iconic brand but they very rarely appear on these pages…

Marc mndt likes this.
  18. Salmosalar

The flap pockets and collars on those original Windwards are also much nicer than on my Belstaff copy, which plays it a bit too safe imo….

19. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

The original also had shoulder pleats

[​IMG]

20. Salmosalar

Thanks Marc! This is clearly the model they copied - the original is a much nicer looking jacket on balance…the extra attention to detail elevates it over the Belstaff.

Marc mndt likes this.