Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jacket did Bob Crane wear in Hogan's Heroes? ...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Per Marc of Acme Depot, it was a lightweight costumer's job (think Wested), with no collar hardware, and had been worn by Frank Sinatra in 1965's Von Ryan's Express.

Marc notes that supporting players wore original issue jackets, but not Crane. At the time, perhaps, an original A-2 wasn't considered sharp enough for an actor in a leading role.

I assume that if he and Sinatra took the same size, that being too heavily built wasn't the problem!
4174573472_5d5db18415_o.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
There were two - one for the pilot episode and one for the show.
The show jacket is the one without the collar hardware and the one worn by Kinnear - loaned by Crane's son, BTW.
Crane at R is wearing the jacket from the pilot ep. It has snaps - and the nametag is smaller.

Here's Crane with Inge Jaklin, who played Helga, and the show jacket.
hogans.jpg

Same jacket, allegedly, on Sinatra. Note super-dark seal color and shiny liner.
SuperStock_252-188.jpg

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
It's amazing to see some really good images of this jacket and realizing they are not very good repros of the A-2. Watched Hogan's Heroes hundreds of times since the show was originally on TV and seen von Ryan's Express several times. Also amazing that they didn't just source some original issue jackets at the time as there must have been quite a lot of them around at the time.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Movie Jackets

I have been told by those in the business, to stay away from the stars leather jackets because they are often made of vinyl! Apparently it shines better, and doesn't squeak when the actor is moving. Makes some sense, but I have never owned a vinyl coat, so who knows!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
derleicaman said:
It's amazing to see some really good images of this jacket and realizing they are not very good repros of the A-2. Watched Hogan's Heroes hundreds of times since the show was originally on TV and seen von Ryan's Express several times. Also amazing that they didn't just source some original issue jackets at the time as there must have been quite a lot of them around at the time.

That's generally because most people don't notice or care about the details the way the fanatics do. And sometimes actors (like Sinatra) prefer everything made to measure and NOT worn by anyone else before they get it. Sinatra might even have said, I'm not wearing heavy f*****g leather under those studio lights, Pal. That obviously doesn't apply to Crane who liked getting cosy with all types...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch