Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of bow tie is this?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
colonel.jpg

Colonel Sanders was known for wearing this tie.

Harry-Crane-Rich-Sommer-Stan-Rizzo-Jay-R.-Ferguson-Michael-Ginsberg-Ben-Feldman-and-Ken-Cosgrove-Aaron-Staton-photo-by-frank-ockenfels-amc.jpg

Michael Ginsberg from Mad Men is seen wearing one in a promotional shot for the sixth season. Is this appropriate with a dinner jacket at all?

I always assumed this was something that harks back to the 19th century, as in during the days of the old west and Victorian era. It's seen pretty frequently in TV and film westerns, especially older ones, but a few have still worn them in more recent times. I think it's a sort of bow tie, what is this called?

That's not a bolo tie. A bolo tie has a fastener or slide that cinches up the strings around the neck. I've seen this variously described as a "western string tie" a "western bow tie" or a "Kentucky bow tie". But it's tied with a knot of its own material, definitely not the same as a bolo.

As for it being appropriate for a dinner jacket, absolutely. They're not uncommon in the western US as formal ties.

carldelo

One Too Many
I was interviewed once by a well-know professor of engineering who wore a stylish but old-fashioned silk version of the string tie. It was a little wider than any of the pictures here, in a solid color (burgundy, I think) with no pattern. He was originally from eastern Europe and was distinctly old-fashioned in his dress and manner, to the extent that he asked me about 8 illegal questions during the first five minutes of the interview (e.g. how old are you, are you married, what is your wife's job, do you plan to have children, etc.). No, I didn't get the job...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21