Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of coat is Clint wearing in "High Plains Drifter?"

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Does anyone know or have an idea? I think it's a great looking coat.

movie-poster-high-plains-drifter.jpg

- Ian

JLStorm

Practically Family
From what I remember of this movie, its a heavy cotton / canvas double breasted overcoat. Sort of like the outback coat material, but without the wax.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
From what I remember of this movie, its a heavy cotton / canvas double breasted overcoat. Sort of like the outback coat material, but without the wax.

That sounds about right to me.

- Ian

filfoster

One Too Many
Do You Feel Lucky Today?

I had the coat he wore in Pale Rider, which is almost identical, made last year by Jeff O'Donnell at The Quartermaster Shop in Kimball, MI, . Made in a fairly heavy coat weight smooth finish wool. Just the thing to wear when confronting a platoon of gun slingers. Give Jeff the pic and he can copy it, and it's not a costume: it's made authentically, inside and out. But don't wait. He's not getting any younger. And neither am I, come to think of it. But then I think of it, and can't remember.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, a duster. These coats are often associated with the earliest motorcars, since riding in one kicked up a lot of dust. Drivers wore the duster, goggles and heavy gloves.

In the movie The Long Riders, all the James/Younger gang members wore gray dusters. There was a double breasted version but I don't recall the lapels being this large. Looks like a cross between a duster & a double breasted civilian frock coat. [huh]

filfoster

One Too Many
Frock

gtdean48 said:
In the movie The Long Riders, all the James/Younger gang members wore gray dusters. There was a double breasted version but I don't recall the lapels being this large. Looks like a cross between a duster & a double breasted civilian frock coat. [huh]

The Pale Rider coat I had made by the Quartermaster Shop was based on a frock coat pattern.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Coat question

I believe it's simply a common frock coat. I've never seen a double breasted duster, but I suppose it doesn't mean there couldn't have been a few. However, frock coats of varying cuts and deviations were the standard fare for coats during and after the US civil war. I believe this period in the movie is roughly 1880-90, so it would be correct. They came in every material...whatever the buyer wanted, but the double-breasted cut tended to stay consistent.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thank you for all the additional information and suggestions, fellas!

I tend to lean toward this being a frock coat, as well. Dusters are somewhat different in style and generally much longer than the coat that Clint Eastwood wore in this movie.

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider