Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a Lady?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hey, the gents have a thread, so I thought I'd start one for the ladies/gals/girls/dolls/dames/skirts/biatches....whatever you call yourself. :) I've always been very interested in this topic. I hope both genders will respond.

So, what do you think makes a woman a lady?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hrm. Assuming we're talking 'lady' versus 'woman', I'll make a few points about one lady in particular that's got my attention(and I hers):

Posture: Her back is almost ramrod straight...I've never seen anyone else with such good posture. I don't think I've ever seen her slouch, even in casual environs. This has a lot to do with her 'bearing'. She holds her chin high, as well.

Manner of speech: Well-spoken, clear and concise diction, minimal use of slang, no profanity. Polite. Very polite, but not ingratiating, which leads to...

Confident: Very sure of herself, but not arrogant. Knows what she wants, secure in what she knows. Conversely...

Humble: Will admit to being wrong without an argument, willing to cede to others. Has an air of modesty despite being painfully beautiful, frighteningly intelligent and highly educated. And that plays into...

Beautiful: Doesn't have to dress like street trash to attract the opposite sex. In fact, at her best when she's dressed in styles that are more than 150 years outdated! Minimal makeup; not weighted down with loads of black eyeliner or bright lipstick. It's less to do with figure and more to do with presentation. It's arguably more exotic to cover it up and hint at a great figure than it is to leave little to the imagination!

(so, ladies, now you know how to catch a Wingnut...)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The Wingnut said:
Hrm. Assuming we're talking 'lady' versus 'woman', I'll make a few points about one lady in particular that's got my attention(and I hers):

Posture: Her back is almost ramrod straight...I've never seen anyone else with such good posture. I don't think I've ever seen her slouch, even in casual environs. This has a lot to do with her 'bearing'. She holds her chin high, as well.

Manner of speech: Well-spoken, clear and concise diction, minimal use of slang, no profanity. Polite. Very polite, but not ingratiating, which leads to...

Confident: Very sure of herself, but not arrogant. Knows what she wants, secure in what she knows. Conversely...

Humble: Will admit to being wrong without an argument, willing to cede to others. Has an air of modesty despite being painfully beautiful, frighteningly intelligent and highly educated. And that plays into...

Beautiful: Doesn't have to dress like street trash to attract the opposite sex. In fact, at her best when she's dressed in styles that are more than 150 years outdated! Minimal makeup; not weighted down with loads of black eyeliner or bright lipstick. It's less to do with figure and more to do with presentation. It's arguably more exotic to cover it up and hint at a great figure than it is to leave little to the imagination!

Oh I meant a REAL lady, not a dream lady. ;) Seriously, she sounds wonderful!

(I slouch sometimes...actually, a lot, when I'm at my desk. I'm working on not doing this) :rolleyes:

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Oh, she IS real!

I shouldn't post this without her permission, but there is a burden of proof...

lh_aj.jpg

cneil

Familiar Face
Ditto What makes a lady.

The Wingnut said:

Wingnut may I Ditto that, every word.

Tin Pan Sally

Grandmother's Words Of Wisdom

12 Rules To Being A True Lady:

1- Don't brag, but do demonstrate self assurance
2- Meet problems with courage and maturity
3- Have an individual sense of fashion, never be swayed by any vulgar style, don't be herded like sheep, always be well groomed
4- Choose the finer things in life, reject what is worthless tactfully
5- Guard principles and honor, stand up for what is right no matter what the situation
6- Offer hope and comfort to those in need, practice random acts of kindness, give an understanding word
7- Meet trying situations with spirits high rather than with complaint, face occasional disappointment not yielding to a grumble or sigh, practice good manners at all times
8- Make firm decisions, follow unswerving in true vocation, be gracious, show real integrity
9- Stand tall, chin up, shoulders back
10- To have a friend one must first BE a friend
11- Pretty is as pretty does, to be a lady one must behave as such
12- All other rules come from The Golden Rule which always applies

Section10

One of the Regulars
Since the Gentleman thread is closed, I will post here. This applies to both ladies and gentlemen.

A lady is one whose very nature is to be patient, kind, not boastful,and not proud. She is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. A lady does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. She always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. This formula never fails.

Happy New Year!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
PrettySquareGal said:
By chance are you tall?

Nearly 5'8". Why do you ask?

Section10 said:
A lady is one whose very nature is to be patient, kind, not boastful,and not proud. She is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. A lady does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. She always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. This formula never fails.

As are also the attributes of true friends, family, and gentlemen. Every time I think I am loving someone to the most I have to go back and do some serious re-thinking based on this verse Section10 referres to:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails... And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

A Lady must Love much to be a lady.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Just as a gentleman should be capable of firing his shotgun accurately at a flock of geese, a lady should be capable of roasting a mean goose.
Ok, time for breakfast...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lauren Henline said:
Nearly 5'8". Why do you ask?

I'm 5' 10". I became a sloucher in high school, unconsciously, so I wouldn't tower over the boys. I've since worked hard to stand tall. Walking and standing- I've got it, but when sitting, I'm working on it. :rolleyes:

Tin Pan Sally

Good Points

The Fedora Lounge lizards have all sorts of great guidelines for living!

whistlebait said:
Tin Pan Sally, those are words to live by. Thanks for posting them.
Always listen to your Grandmother!

My Great Aunts also had some interesting advice for me, too. Such as:
- "Don't marry for money, just make sure you are in a rich neighborhood when you fall in love."
- "Don't mess with unavailable men. The way you get them is the way you keep them. If he cheats with you, he will cheat on you. No gentleman seeks a sweetheart on the side, and no lady wants to be one."
I didn't need that last bit of advice. That's just common sense. Why would anyone want another who is already taken? A man/woman who would disgrace the one they supposedly love in that way is extremely unattractive.
- "Refrain from gossip, that is for the insecure. Those who have positive things to say about their own lives, don't need to put others down."
- "Avoid profanity. Harsh words in everyday conversation lose impact, then what does one spurt when angry?"
True, nothing is offensive anymore.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Tin Pan Sally said:
Oooh, you're preparing toasts for the Robert Burns Supper?
What good is a girl that can't cook?!!
I'm not familiar with the event, tho I like the sound of it. What is it exactly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana