Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

I feel bad that he's so misguided.
And I'm not the one that lives near a large concentration of hippies.
We have hicks, they're different.
Hippies make purses and belts out of hemp, which is useless to 99% of the population.
Hicks make Moonshine, which everyone can use. ;)

Not only can they change the past or delete it, but they can also make mistakes with a huge bureaucracy.
Such as in the movie Brazil.

VC Brunswick has many secrets in his secret vault. Also known as his inbox. :D

Hicks do have their use that is for sure.
Hippies have uses. Speed bumps, mine sweepers, garbage sorters, deodorizer experiment subjects etc., etc. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I didn't realize all the possibilities.
Wow they are useful for something.
I saw a hippie last night on the Brady Bunch.
Paul Winchell played a tv producer, that made commercials for laundry detergent.
They had him in colored glasses, a paisley poncho, and wearing beads.
Almost ruined a Brady Bunch episode, if that's possible.
Of course in real life he wasn't this way.
Paul Winchell was most famous for being the voice of Tigger, and one of the scrubbing bubbles, in addition to other voice acting.
But he was also an inventor, and one of his most famous inventions was the artificial heart, for which he held a patent.
He also invented
a disposable razor, a blood plasma defroster, a flameless cigarette lighter, an "invisible" garter belt, a fountain pen with a retractable tip, and battery-heated gloves
. He came up with the razor but didn't get a patent for it, as his friends at the time asked "who would use a razor a few times and throw it away?" He shouldn't have listened to them.

An innovation I wish had never been developed is the "option" menu on business telephones, such as the Doctors office. The other day I got transferred around numerous times, trying to make an appointment with my Doctor.
Finally, I hung up, got in my car, and drove over to their office. They aren't so brave and snippy when you are standing in front of them. I was helped immediately. :D

Last edited:
I didn't realize all the possibilities.
Wow they are useful for something.
I saw a hippie last night on the Brady Bunch.
Paul Winchell played a tv producer, that made commercials for laundry detergent.
Paul Winchell was most famous for being the voice of Tigger, and one of the scrubbing bubbles, in addition to other voice acting.
But he was also an inventor, and one of his most famous inventions was the artificial heart, for which he held a patent.
He also invented . He came up with the razor but didn't get a patent for it, as his friends at the time asked "who would use a razor a few times and throw it away?" He shouldn't have listened to them.

An innovation I wish had never been developed is the "option" menu on business telephones, such as the Doctors office. The other day I got transferred around numerous times, trying to make an appointment with my Doctor.
Finally, I hung up, got in my car, and drove over to their office. They aren't so brave and snippy when you are standing in front of them. I was helped immediately. :D

I forgot to mention cannon fodder. :p
Oh geez! As if the Brady Bunch was visually bad enough without adding hippies…..
:laser:
178833.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That would be the one.
For reasons that escape me, they made Paul up to be a hippie.
What a talented man, but it was funny to see him on the BB.
I kept waiting for Tigger to run across the screen. :D

CFL light bulbs.
For some reason, a few of my rooms have a weird glow and I don't like it.

That would be the one.
For reasons that escape me, they made Paul up to be a hippie.
What a talented man, but it was funny to see him on the BB.
I kept waiting for Tigger to run across the screen. :D

CFL light bulbs.
For some reason, a few of my rooms have a weird glow and I don't like it.

Geez I hate CFLs. They are great for the Prince of Darkness but not me. They also pose a mercury poisoning risk for people with small children who are clumsy. Uh, no thanks. I will go halogen instead any day. Even LEDs are better.

Go figure. Pot is now legal but incandescent bulbs and plastic bags are now illegal. We know that the people who came up with the idea of banning the latter two were smoking the former. :doh:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I always watched The Winchell/Mahoney Show on TV in the '60s. It was one of my favorites.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sadly I'm too young to have seen it, but I know about his talents.
BTW Paul Winchell sued the production company, after they destroyed a lot of the show's tapes.
He won the suit, and got $17.5 million, and should have.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Sadly I'm too young to have seen it, but I know about his talents.
BTW Paul Winchell sued the production company, after they destroyed a lot of the show's tapes.
He won the suit, and got $17.5 million, and should have.

Ah! John Kluge of Metromedia, who was also responsible for the destruction of the nearly intact library of the Du Mont network, including much priceless material. In the Du Mont case it was convenience. IN the Winchell case it was spite. Winchell sued Kluge's firm, Metromedia, in an effort to get them to live up to the terms of his contract regarding residuals. Kluge ordered the tapes destroyed purely out of spite, so that there would be no residuals, and so that the greater body of Winchell's work would disappear from memory.

...Almost ruined a Brady Bunch episode, if that's possible...
Brady Bunch episodes are already ruined simply by existing. What's impossible is improving them.

Go figure. Pot is now legal but incandescent bulbs and plastic bags are now illegal. We know that the people who came up with the idea of banning the latter two were smoking the former. :doh:
I think the problem is that they weren't smoking the former. lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Oh, how see, you didn't have to go there.
You drove down Clinton Avenue and ran right into the Brady House. ;)
Yes the episodes were hokey, but so were many programs back then.
Wonder Woman, BJ And The Bear, Soap, Benson, and so many others.
But there is just something about the Brady Bunch that keeps me watching it.
Not all the episodes, just a few from each season.

The Swiffer.
Yeah I know, many people are going to get upset at me.
But after the first swipe, you are just pushing the dirt over more dirt.
It doesn't work as good as a mop and a bucket of cleaner.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Swiffer.
Yeah I know, many people are going to get upset at me.
But after the first swipe, you are just pushing the dirt over more dirt.
It doesn't work as good as a mop and a bucket of cleaner.

I tried a Swiffer at work, and it was the most pointless thing I've ever used -- it's just a gimmick to get you to buy more consumables, and with the price of those sheets/wipes/whatever they're called it's a very lucrative racket.

I clean my kitchen with a string mop and a wringer bucket of Lestoil. And I don't have to go over it more than once.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tween television shows. My seven year old daughter watches Disney XD, YTV, ect and the "Tween" sitcoms are the lowest form of entertainment.... For kids at least, I have issues with shows like "two broke girls" but I have enough sense to turn the television off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For that matter, the whole marketing concept of "tween" makes my skin crawl. And that's all it is, something the Boys invented as a way of selling more garbage to children.

As far as I'm concerned, a kid is a kid until they get their first after-school job. There's no such thing in my worldview as a "tween."

cchgn

One of the Regulars
For that matter, the whole marketing concept of "tween" makes my skin crawl. And that's all it is, something the Boys invented as a way of selling more garbage to children.

As far as I'm concerned, a kid is a kid until they get their first after-school job. There's no such thing in my worldview as a "tween."

yes, but unfortunately, the banks have had to build new vaults for "tween money".

epr25

Practically Family
What's lestoil good for? I need a good cleaner for a new (1890's) house we're moving into.

I tried a Swiffer at work, and it was the most pointless thing I've ever used -- it's just a gimmick to get you to buy more consumables, and with the price of those sheets/wipes/whatever they're called it's a very lucrative racket.

I clean my kitchen with a string mop and a wringer bucket of Lestoil. And I don't have to go over it more than once.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's lestoil good for? I need a good cleaner for a new (1890's) house we're moving into.

It's good for everything -- floors, walls, woodwork, concrete, you can even use it for spot removal on fabrics.

It comes concentrated, so spot removal is about the only time you should use it full strength. Cut it with water and it makes an excellent floor cleaner.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It's good for everything -- floors, walls, woodwork, concrete, you can even use it for spot removal on fabrics.

It comes concentrated, so spot removal is about the only time you should use it full strength. Cut it with water and it makes an excellent floor cleaner.

"It's so easy when you use Lestoil!"

[video=youtube_share;6AxZoE7XCWc]http://youtu.be/6AxZoE7XCWc[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points