Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What motivates you to do your beauty everyday? Lately I cant find any motivation!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Needless to say, in those kind of conditions, fashion and beauty were not paramount in my mind. :p

I hear you! I give it my best shot, though. When it gets cold here, I can usually be found in a long double breasted coat with fur trim, a woollen tam, and mittens layered over gloves. I would look nice but for my contorted, frostbitten face lol

I think we Canucks are used to the razor blades-up-your-nose temperatures. Because putting on my face is vital to me, I stick to the bare minimum on those days.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I hear you! I give it my best shot, though. When it gets cold here, I can usually be found in a long double breasted coat with fur trim, a woollen tam, and mittens layered over gloves. I would look nice but for my contorted, frostbitten face lol

I think we Canucks are used to the razor blades-up-your-nose temperatures. Because putting on my face is vital to me, I stick to the bare minimum on those days.

oh, i didn't mean that i don't make an effort in the winter at all. Just not usually on days that i had to swim through waist-high snow. :/

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ahh, I don't agree. I detest the heat, and I love the long winter! Make-up stays on better, I can wear darker colours, I can wear stockings and hats, etc...

Yes, same here!!!

I guess it depends on which "extreme" weather you have to deal with the most. I'll gladly take winter over our blistering summers any day of the week!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In winter, I put on my lipstick either on the bus, or once I get to the office. You can't survive here in stockings December through Feburary, so I wear leggings under my skirts. I am probably going to make myself some woolen leg warmers some day, to wear under my long coat. Maybe if you went from house to car to office one could wear stockings, but I ride the bus and it can either be 10 minutes early or 45 minutes late on a good day, and there is no shelter. (On a bad snow day, I've waited 1.5 hours past the time it should be there in the blowing, biting snow, with a -15F real temperature (not windchill).) You need a wool scarf, wool suit, lined boots, wool long coat, wool hat, and gloves and wool mittens!

I live in the snowiest city in the lower 49 states, which means I sometimes wake up to 2-4 feet of snow overnight (at least several times a year). We've also had severe budget cuts where I live, so that means that often the roads are either not plowed, or are under plowed until afternoon. The bus stop never is plowed and the gas station nearby plows their snow into the stop. Since they won't pick you up unless you are at the stop (right next to the sign), I normally take a snow shovel if the snow is light and there is a lot or I climb on top of the snow bank.

My only motivation in winter is that woolen clothing is warmer than anything else I own. It also is warm wet, which cotton or other comfort clothes (jeans for instance) are not. My high heeled boots (alI I wear in winter) lift me out of the snow and allow extra socks.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about: NEW MAKEUP?!

It always motivates me. :) Yesterday, as I was going home from a visit to my ex-university-roommate, I saw amazing offer. They were selling out entire line of makeup, due to the fact that they are no longer importing that brand. Oh, alleluia! So, I've got myself couple new eye-shadows (gorgeous golden, and "magic duo" for smokey eyes and, new compact cream in "naturelle".
And on the same day my roomie and I exchanged our birthday presents: Deborah lipstick+lip gloss (nicely taped together, and sold like "2 for the price of 1")
Lipstick in mat (number 6): http://www.deborahmilano.com/it/product.php?id=43
Lip gloss number 7: http://www.deborahmilano.com/it/product.php?id=579

I ask you: how NOT TO get hyper motivated, when something as great as this happens?? lol

crwritt

One Too Many
That does the trick for me, too :) We always end up at a pub or a cocktail bar, so I can deck myself out if I want to!
We've been going all this summer to a new place, a concert hall that's been trying to drum up business by having a latin dance
for free on tuesday nights. Live band, and we just love that old music.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
A perfect place to look dazzling! lol

You're telling me! I love seeing the looks the punters in a thoroughly modern bar give me lol

We've been going all this summer to a new place, a concert hall that's been trying to drum up business by having a latin dance
for free on tuesday nights. Live band, and we just love that old music.

That's so great! I wish I knew a place like that to go to :)

tamjwhite

New in Town
when I read these posts it inspires me and my beauty regime! especially the ones about accepting yourself.+ having my roots done and eyebrows done really makes all the difference as well.

Tatum

Practically Family
I still have almost zero motivation. Too hot, sets won't stay in the heat, sweaty if I do anything fun...

I also need a haircut. I was telling Gracie Lee the other day that I'm tempted to go full short middy, but I think I'd regret it come winter. Plus hubby would have a coronary. ;)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ straycat- do you try to do them yourself sometimes? i try but its never the same!

I ONLY do them by myself.. Because they need just a little bit of plucking, and the girls at the salon always want to "shape" them into "fashionable" form! And, when I leave the salon, I'm upset.. my brows refuse to look the way I want them to.. So, I am my own brow-stylist. lol

NataliaLaGata

New in Town
What motivates me to doll up is the act of taking care of and pampering myself. I'm an artist, so naturally I've always been a make-up fan. Dressing up is fun for me, after all isn't it what we practiced for as little girls? Honestly, a dressing table has made the world of difference for me... it saves me from the tasks becoming tedious or tiresome while standing in front of the bathroom mirror or sitting in the living room. I'm not so big on salons, since it is an unnecessary expense in my opinion (although if I could go to a vintage beauty parlor I'd be ecstatic ha). I pluck my own eyebrows having only had them waxed once and not liking the shape or thinness they chose. I'm a bit OCD about the eyebrows, since they grow fast and I have to pluck every other day to keep up. I do my own manicures too, or if I can afford to I'll get my nails done at the shop since it isn't to pricey unless you like wearing false nails. It makes me feel good to take care of myself, sort of it's own reward for me...makes me feel more confident and glamorous, listening to old love songs and gazing at myself in the mirror. I read before how you should spend time naked admiring yourself in the mirror to feel more confident about your body, that after a while you would get used to the reflection and start noticing things to like instead of things to be ashamed of. Well, I think the same goes for this.

Whats more is, it is sort of a war paint. Kind of a way to make you feel ready to face the world, or even just the ability to try something new and feel refreshed or changed or pretend to be someone else for a bit (or just a more glamourous you).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points