What not to do in a leather jacket..

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mygar, Sep 12, 2019.

1. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

Don't wear your leather jacket while sitting in your lighter colored leather/pleather car interior. You will eventually experience color transfer... and it sux. Apparently it's very easy to transfer color on... but good luck getting it off!

Any other examples of what not to do?!

2. Gav

Gav A-List Customer

Never had this problem with goodwear, aero or Eastman jackets and pale leather car seats

bn1966 and Flightengineer like this.
  3. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I had some color transfer from one of my Aero jackets. Fortunately, it washed out of the fabric the leather color had rubbed off on, and after a few wearings it didn't noticeably transfer any longer. I do have to say that I prefer leathers that are colorfast.

mygar likes this.
  4. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

I have had this happen with 2 well known mfr. And I bet ALL jackets will transfer. Just depends on how much.

Moisten a rag and rub on your jackets... with enough pressure I bet all will. Some just require less friction then others. Depends on the treatment I guess... but I'm no expert.

5. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

I got some quaint looks when I went into a vegetarian cafe

6. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

Do not let them sit in the closet, and don't sell them.

Edward, Willybob, Harris HTM and 6 others like this.
  7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I've owned maybe 50 leather jackets over three decades and worn them everywhere. There's nothing you can't do in one. I have never had dye transfer.

8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I’ve never noticed this either but it has come up in the past. I’ve also seen it on liners. Thankfully not my own.

mygar likes this.
  9. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

Don't buy a leather jacket while wearing a leather jacket unless you're doing it online.

:)

Dbrn, El Marro and mygar like this.
  10. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

Moisten a cloth and rub... test. The only 2 aero I have owned transfer

11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I have no doubt you are right and there could be color transfer under those circumstances. Tbh I don’t wear my leathers until it’s really, really cold. I’m the sweatiest man alive. I often struggle to account for myself b/c of it. I just haven’t experienced in my history despite my tendency to make it rain.

mygar likes this.
  12. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

I believe you... if you don't have light colored surface to rub against probably won't notice.

Both aero CXL Brown Half Belt And CXL CORDOVAN CR transfered. The Cordovan really bad... like all over my truck and jeans.

When I clean off the bugs from my thedi cr after riding it transfers as well. That one is waxed cow. Granted I use a moist microfiber as bugs can be hard to remove after dried on.

I have another thedi cr haven't tested... and thedi shawl not tested yet either.

13. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

I have only seen bleeding from a cordovan Aero- the second one I have in the same colour is the tumbled type and it transfers far less- dark clothing hides it and a normal clothes wash gets rid of it. Not seen it from brown or black Aeros and I think it's just one of those things. Sufficient saturation will make the dye run out of any leather slightly.

Edward and mygar like this.
  14. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

Good advice! I once went to pick up a custom leather jacket from Johnson Leather wearing a Good Wear A2. I left the store wearing the new jacket and carrying the A2...

navetsea likes this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

spray painting in open air, unless the paint is the same color of your leather jacket
    on lesser annoyance, brushing teeth while wearing black leather jacket.

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

What not to do in a leather jacket? Get married of course.
    bride biker groom.jpg bride biker.jpg

Dbrn, AeroFan_07, El Marro and 3 others like this.
  17. mtrlr

mtrlr Familiar Face

Early last winter I was wearing my Vanson Enfield, carrying a big box and tried to squeeze through a narrow corridor, my shoulder was rubbing against the white wall, I could see very obvious color transfer. And it was not a hard rub.

mygar likes this.
  18. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

I never had any colour transfer but once I had a substance transfer... at the Edinburgh airport. I was wearing my aero cxl fqhh (brown) HB all day long, it was really warm day and I was sweating. When I passed the security scan the alarm went off, there was "something" in my belly. So this (kind) officer comes and rubs a cotton pad on my belly and then puts in a chromatograph device, to see what kind of substance I was carrying... A false alarm he says, obviously a chemical from your jacket...

navetsea and mygar like this.
  19. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Wear unfinished leather with anything that will bleed on to it when wet. I was caught in a cloud burst while carrying a laptop bag. The strap was soaked and bled blue-black on to the chest my jacket. It's faded a bit with wear but was very upset when it happened initially.

20. mygar

mygar A-List Customer

Oh... man that sux... that is the worst. Good tip... never thought about that.