Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What on your Halloween playlist???

Blackjack

One Too Many
I have the wayback machine in full tilt this Halloween musicwise. I burned myself a disc of nothing newer than 1950 with most of the songs in the 30's. Toss in some Universal classics and a few spooky Disney cartoons and I'm set. I will break down and toss the Moon-Rays Swingin at the Seance on too for good measure.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have several cds with Halloween music. Now I have to find them. Who could forget Boris Karloff and The Monster Mash? :eek: :)

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
carter said:
I have several cds with Halloween music. Now I have to find them. Who could forget Boris Karloff and The Monster Mash? :eek: :)

The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds
The coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, "The Crypt-Kicker Five"
They played the mash
They played the monster mash​

:D

Thank you, Miss Neecerie, that link is beyond helpful!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
carter said:

Sadly, Bobby Picket died last year.

"Pickett co-wrote "Monster Mash" with Leonard Capizzi, featuring impersonations of veteran horror stars Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi (the latter with the line "Whatever happened to my Transylvania Twist?"). It was passed on by every major label, but after hearing the song, Gary S. Paxton agreed to produce and engineer it; among the musicians who played on it was pianist Leon Russell. The single became a million seller, reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for two weeks before Halloween in 1962. It was styled as being by "Bobby 'Boris' Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers". The track re-entered the U.S. charts twice, in August 1970, and again in May 1973, when it reached the #10 spot. In Britain it took until October 1973 for the tune to become popular, peaking at #3 in the UK Singles Chart.
A Christmas-themed follow-up, "Monster's Holiday," was also released in 1962 and reached #30 in December that year."

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Does anyone else recall the old song "THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY!"?
We used to play that 45 over and over with the speakers in the front windows every Halloween.
Who did that song anyway? I can't remember.[huh]

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
KY Gentleman said:
Does anyone else recall the old song "THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY!"?
We used to play that 45 over and over with the speakers in the front windows every Halloween.
Who did that song anyway? I can't remember.[huh]

As in "They're coming to take me away, ha ha, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-ha"?

Jack Hylton and his Orchestra -- Jack O'Lanterns (1930)

[video=youtube;edX0jT5d9-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edX0jT5d9-M[/video]

Rube Bloom and his Bayou Boys -- Mysterious Mose (1930)
featuring Tommy Dorsey on trombone and Benny Goodman on clarinet.

[video=youtube;E-km6YQUgU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-km6YQUgU4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo