Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Song Would You Like Played At Your Funeral.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Without sounding to morbid, I was just wandering what song or songs would you like played at your funeral when the time comes.

Reason I ask is because my ninety year old nan passed away just over two weeks ago, and the family where scratching there heads on exactly what she would have liked played at her funeral in the way of music, in the end they ended up with a Daniel O'Donnell song and the Welsh national anthem.

If you where to choose two, that's providing you want music played what two songs would you choose, I really believe music at funerals plays a great part in the healing process, and that depending on what music is played can set the tone for the whole of the day.

I've been to a few funerals over the years, and uplifting songs always bring smiles to the faces of grieving family members and friends, and can sometimes turn a sad day into a very memorable one, as it should.

Me I would love Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto De Aranjuez, played its such a beautiful piece of music. Plus any Perry Como song, as I think he was one of the very best crooners of all time.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This would be a very easy selection for my loved ones to pick a song or two to be played at my end demise....as I have had a fairly wicked sense of humor my entire life, and those that are within my circle of friends and family would narrow it down without too much thought given...."what's new pussycat" by Tom Jones, and two songs by the late great Louie Armstrong, "mack the knife", and "what a wonderful world". I am sure I would be well pleased by this selection, and would promise not to haunt anyone later! However, I am sure not many of us really would have a real "say so" in any of this, unless it was made known in a "will" formally or discussed fairly seriously with those involved prior to a person "passing" through the doorway of death.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. The Platters version If I'm going to be cremated; and if I'm to be buried then maybe Wake Me Up before You Go Go.

I went to a funeral a year ago of someone who was really into pre electric jazz, and he had some very nice syncopation going. We were really tapping our feet as he went through the curtains, and everyone was dressed in bright colours. A few members of the previous funeral party who were hanging about chatting looked at me askance as I walked past them.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A couple of years ago I was faced with burying both my parents on the same day. This led me and my sisters to having a long discussion on funeral music: the coffins entered the chapel to 'Every Time We Say Goodbye' and left to the sound of 'Somewhere' from West Side Story.

That led us to discussing funeral music of our own choice (it was quite a morbid time!). I settled on an old 1940s song:

'We Don't Know Where We're Going (Until We're There)'.

It seems like a good choice for someone like myself who, despite being a long-term confirmed athiest, quite likes the idea of there actually being an afterlife.

WeDontKnowWhereWeAreGoing.jpg

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
A couple of years ago I was faced with burying both my parents on the same day. This led me and my sisters to having a long discussion on funeral music: the coffins entered the chapel to 'Every Time We Say Goodbye' and left to the sound of 'Somewhere' from West Side Story.

That led us to discussing funeral music of our own choice (it was quite a morbid time!). I settled on an old 1940s song:

'We Don't Know Where We're Going (Until We're There)'.

It seems like a good choice for someone like myself who, despite being a long-term confirmed athiest, quite likes the idea of there actually being an afterlife.

WeDontKnowWhereWeAreGoing.jpg

Some of those old standards really can hit the spot. For All We Know is one of my favourites.

" ...for all we know life may only be a dream; we come and go like the ripples on a stream..."

Edward

Bartender
In the running, in addition to the hymns, are:

I'm Going Home by O'Brien - either the Curry sung version, or (if a recording could be sourced) the David Bedella take.

The Fields of Athenry, traditional - the Dropkick Murphys cut, which for me is the definitive take and truly captures the spirit in which it was written.

Something by the Ramones.

Some Elvis, no doubt.

And of course there's Johnny Cash's recording of June Carter-Cash's Ring of Fire, which would be a potential go-er for my final trip into the flames, unless I take after Peter Sellis and opt for Glen Miller's recording of In the Mood.

Flicka

One Too Many
Played: Largo from Handel's Xerxes. Sung: Härlig är jorden (traditional Swedish hymn). I think.

But I know what I want read; parts of the song that was traditionally sung on New Year's Eve in the 18th century before Auld Lang Syne – "Goodnight and Joy Be with You All" (or, "The Parting Glass").

Just the two first verses:

Oh all the money that e’er I had, I spent it in good company
And all the harm that e’er I’ve done, alas, it was to none but me
And all I’ve done for want of wit to memory now I can’t recall
So fill to me the parting glass, good night and joy be with you all

Oh all the comrades that e’er I’ve had, they are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e’er I’ve had, they would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot that I should rise and you should not
I’ll gently rise and I’ll softly call good night and joy be with you all

alsendk

A-List Customer
I told my wife I would always be there for her, so this old song would be the right one I believe

Darling you gotta let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here til the end of time
So you got to let know
Should I stay or should I go?

Songwriters: MICK JONES / JOE STRUMMER
The CLASH

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about SONGS so far, but film-clips?

[video=youtube;grbSQ6O6kbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs[/video]

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad spent 30 years as the principal of a K-12 school (1949-1979). He always said that he wanted "Pomp and Circumstance" (the graduation song) played as they carried his casket out of the church. When he passed away four years ago, we did just that. The church was filled to overflowing, most of which were former students as far back as the class of '49. Everyone understood the significance of that song at that time, and there wasn't a dry eye in the church.

While "Pomp and Circumstance" was most appropriate for my Dad due to his long career in education, as for me I'm not sure. I spent 30 years working at a State Mental Hospital, so I guess "Hotel California" by the Eagles would be appropriate. [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=youtube;LZA36YIu2yU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZA36YIu2yU[/video]

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. The Platters version If I'm going to be cremated; and if I'm to be buried then maybe Wake Me Up before You Go Go.

I went to a funeral a year ago of someone who was really into pre electric jazz, and he had some very nice syncopation going. We were really tapping our feet as he went through the curtains, and everyone was dressed in bright colours. A few members of the previous funeral party who were hanging about chatting looked at me askance as I walked past them.

Mate you sound like you have one hell of a sense of humour.. Brilliant..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21