Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
(If there already exists a thread like this, my apologies to the bartenders, but I haven't seen one...)

Okay, we talk (write) a lot about the past, and express opinions on our favorite eras for clothing, automobiles, music, movies and everything else, but...If you had to go back in time to specific period of the 20th century, and stay there for the period of one year, which would it be, where, and why? In this "fantasy," let's just assume that you have a home and job (of your choice) waiting for you, so as not to get bogged down in how you would survive/fit in, etc. Don't forget, though, you have to go back in one year, so try to include how this would influence what you do during your stay.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok I'll go for the 14-18 period, 1915 to be precise so I could hopefully help or even avert the deaths of my two great, great uncles who died on the 5th and 14th November that year in Belgium whilst serving with The Sherwood Foresters, the results of their deaths plagued my grandfather's close family of that time in many,many ways for years.

Last edited:
Give me the fifties. The cars, the early fifties fashions were great, the narrower brims and lapels of the latter part of the decade do little for me, though. Television and radio were fantastic, as well.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I've lived in all of the three latter periods. I wouldn't trade today for any of them! When I was a kid in the early 1960's, I dream of things like what my iPhone turned out to be. And no Internet! Forget that!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I chose 1945-1950. Every car being produced was beautiful, Boogie Woogie music was king, animated cartoons were in there prime, streamline moderne or "art deco" was still going strong and the war was over. If I had to choose an exact date I'd say January 1st 1947.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Ok I'll go for the 14-18 period, 1915 to be precise so I could hopefully help or even avert the deaths of my two great, great uncles who died on the 5th and 14th November that year in Belgium whilst serving with The Sherwood Foresters, the results of their deaths plagued my grandfather's close family of that time in many,many ways for years.

That is interesting and sad, Esteban. My great-uncle was gassed during the Great War, while serving in the U.S. Army, but he did survive.

3fingers

One Too Many
I voted 1945-1950. I actually had this conversation with my grandfather many years ago. He liked this time because he said that is when he actually started to make money. (He was a farmer) He made it through the depression, then the war came. I also love the cars, the clothes and the movies and radio from this time. I also think that this was possibly the beginning of the end of what we refer to as the golden era. Life started changing rapidly in the 50's.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^I was tempted to choose the time period, too. So much was going on after the war, and I think you're right about it being the beginning of the end of the Golden Age: The meteoric rise of television set sales, the end of what has been called the Big Band era, the beginning of a mass movement to the suburbs, the New Look in fashion for women, more realism in English-speaking movies (as well as Italian neo-realism...), the start of court challenges against studio parent company movie theater chains, new designs in automobiles (starting with Studebaker in 1947), and so on.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If I couldn't be out fighting in the heart of the labor movement, I wouldn't mind being right here. This was a bustling town in the late thirties -- almost a third more population than it is now, the center of commerce for the whole mid-coast region of the state, with three theatres, a fine downtown department store, four drug stores, half a dozen good restaurants, three big hotels, a dozen gas stations, a burgeoning local manufacturing industry, excellent housing, railroad connections to the whole east coast, and no smirking irony of any kind. By any standard by which I myself would judge such things, it was a better place to live in 1937 than it is now.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Some visual reference for why I chose the 1945-1950 period

tumblr_m8pa7ciW1z1qh7sfno1_500.jpg

256615434_5666879294_z.jpg

averybabe.jpg

350-18.jpg

Old-Point-4-925200-2.jpg

photostream

5089187321_28186e7b17_z.jpg

As for where, I'd be happy right where I am. If somewhere else, maybe Milwaukee or the surrounding suburbs. Knowing what I know now, I could be a lucrative businessman in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points