Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear in 110 degree heat with high humidity?

johnnyelvis

New in Town
I just moved to Florida and really into the 40's 50's look, it is so damn hot out nothing breathes, any suggestions of what to look for or cool styles from the past to reference?

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
Sweat....we wear a lot of sweat down here, you'll get used to it eventually....

And you top off the sweat with a nice topper of tree-shade, making sure it has a big wide brim.....

And accessorize with a glass of water, lemonade, or a mint julip....

But mostly, over the 100 degree mark with high humidity, we just wear sweat and try and enjoy ourselves regardless...

Welcome to Florida, watch out for gators, cockroaches, and touristas....

-Adam C.

P.S. On a more serious note, the lightest cottons and linens you can get by with is the best answer for keeping your cool.....and you MUST stay hydrated, slow down with everything, and stay in as much shade as possible....

vintage68

Practically Family
Other than a panama and possibly some vintage Hawaiian shirts, it's pretty tough.

I tried for the year I lived there, but mostly I stayed inside under the air conditioner and sulked. That and drank way too much bourbon...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Another vote for a relative open weave straw hat, and open weave linen and cotten. I've also liked certain types of rayon shirts as well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Linen, linen and more linen.

And BTW, Florida has never recorded a temp of 110°. Miami, for instance, has only reached 100° once in its history.

davestlouis

Practically Family
You lucky guys who get to wear light-weight fabrics. It'll get to 100 in July around here, with gawdawful humidity, and I'm stuck in a charcoal gray wool suit, white dress shirt, with undershirt(it's in the dresscode) sweltering in the sun at the cemetery or on the parking lot at the mortuary.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Linen, linen and more linen.

And BTW, Florida has never recorded a temp of 110°. Miami, for instance, has only reached 100° once in its history.

Definitely linen.

Maguire

Practically Family
Geesie said:
Oh, and undershirts are key. More important in very hot weather than in cold weather, really.
Absolutely.

When i'm in florida i generally stick to guayaberas but wearing a suit is possible. I even wore a full three piece black suit (wool) in miami during the summer around 3 or 4 years ago. You sweat but you get used to it. I wouldn't do that now, but i'd wear a linen certainly. When the weather is as hot as it is down there, I'd generally wear suits less but guayaberas or something appropriate for the weather, but not too sloppy.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Geesie said:
Oh, and undershirts are key. More important in very hot weather than in cold weather, really.

Agreed! I made the mistake of going out without one on a hot day this week, not a good decision.

Although I've never used them, I've read that the old-fashioned string vests (the undershirts that look like wide netting) are very good for body heat control because they insulate better. The net creates pockets of air that keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Edward

Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
rayon and cary a towel

"...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Me too

davestlouis said:
You lucky guys who get to wear light-weight fabrics. It'll get to 100 in July around here, with gawdawful humidity, and I'm stuck in a charcoal gray wool suit, white dress shirt, with undershirt(it's in the dresscode) sweltering in the sun at the cemetery or on the parking lot at the mortuary.

That is also the unwritten trial lawyer's dress code. I'm soo not looking forward to today.

Lenore

Practically Family
From a place with actual 110 degree heat and swamp like humidity, I second, third and fourth, additional cotton undergarments and clothes of cotton, linen, and rayon.

If I'm not in an office, I'm in a cotton/linen/rayon dress with a cotton slip. I wouldn't suggest that for your wardrobe. You might look a little odd in a light cotton dress. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk