Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear under the Fedora?

farmer

New in Town
Just got my first 2 hats that I would like to start wearing about.

But when I googled men's fedora fashion, there seem to be more heat against it than than for it... I realize that most of it is aimed at the fake 'persona' some guys adopt and the cheapo linen hats they buy.

I have no worries about the hat changing me into a fake person, i know who i am.... And I think I avoided the cheap hats. Here is what I got:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?80857-My-first-2-fedora-type-of-hats

But the clothing is a bigger concern. Most of the clothes I have been buying recently, have all been the functional hiking/travel oriented sort. The complete opposite of what I'm trying to go for now.

The only shoes I wear now, are the no-heel barefoot type. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, don't really want to go back.
http://www.planetshoes.com/mmplanet/Images/12870/12870_119_zoom.jpg
And a few pair like that, that look like regular sneakers.

I don't really want to wear trousers or a tie.... Prefer jeans only, please.

Have some button downs from working at an office, maybe I can wear. A few wool sweaters too. Can I do sweater without the shirt underneath?

Do I need a collared type of jacket?

I'm so used to wearing jeans and a T.... I don't know how informal I can get away with here... One of the things the 'online' seems to emphasize is always dress shoes and a collar :(

Please fall/winter type of clothing for now. I'll worry about summer when I get to it :)

Edit: I'm in my early 30's, but people tell me I look 21.. not sure if it matters.

Last edited:

Inusuit

A-List Customer
If you ramble through the posts in the hat section of FL, you'll see loungers wearing fedoras with everything from suits to Bermuda shorts. Jeans, khakis, tee shirts, sweaters, etc. Just wear the hat. Don't let the hat wear you. By that I mean be confident and don't worry about what other people will say or think.

dnjan

One Too Many
Just wear the hat. Don't let the hat wear you.

Yes! Wear the hat because it keeps your head warm and dry (or cool in summer). Don't wear it to make a statement - wear it to be comfortable.
The accessories (shirt, pants, jacket, shoes, etc.) will work themselves out if you are comfortable wearing the hat.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I made a change from sneakers and ball caps finally for my non-work clothing. I try to wear casual leather shoes and a fedora now if wearing a hat. Still wear jeans but if wearing a fedora, try to wear a casual solid button down shirt. I don't go for the fancy dress fedora hats that much and migrate to the more outdoors or working mans looking fur hats. These can also be worn with more formal clothing but look right at home with very casual wear.

Maybe I might eventually go the t-shirt route but doubt I would go the shorts route. I look at shorts as yard work type clothing now.

farmer

New in Town
What kind of look are you going for?

We can't give you advice without some set parameters.

As casual and informal as possible without looking like a fool, tool, or a clown. At least a somewhat fashionable look. The minimal I can get away with. I can always go up more formal from that point, if I feel like it.

Sure, one can say that you can wear anything at all, but one can also look ridiculous with that sort of thinking. And this goes for hat or no hat. Sort of reminds me of 'the emperor wears no clothes'

Also, what do you guys do with the hat when you are indoors? Like a museum or convention center type of thing. Usually I can just put a flat cap in my pocket in these situations, but I don't see that happening with a larger hat that's more 'shaped'.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
When I wear a fedora I usually match the shoes and belt with the hat. So brown fedora = brown shoes & belt, black fedora = black shoes/belt. My grey fedora has a black band, so I wear black shoes/belt with that one. -I don't worry about matching with my more casual flat caps, but with the fedora I feel it looks best. Everything else is fair game (within reason).

As for indoors, it is OK to leave your hat on when in an indoor public space, such as a museum or a shopping mall. The hat should come off when entering somebody's home or sitting down to eat, or if being served in a store (under certain conditions). In other words if you're walking around inside a public building it is fine to leave your hat on. When sitting down at a convention center or movie theater I place my hat in my lap or on my knee unless there is an empty chair.

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome, farmer, you ask some good questions. Here's my two-cents worth:

As to what to wear with your new hat, I think you can't go wrong with a button-down color shirt, khakis/chinos/Dockers kind of pants (even nice jeans), and a pair of leather shoes. I think the key to it all is to dress "appropriate" for your age and what you are doing at the time. For example, when I'm working in the garden or around the yard or in the woods, I usually wear a pair of old bib overalls, a well-used shirt (good use for my dress shirts that have seen better days), and my old stand-by, a little ragged around the edges, sweat-stained fedora. If I'm going out to eat or to a movie or something like that, it's a nice pair of pants, nice dress shirt, neck tie, and a good fedora. If I'm going to church, a funeral, wedding, business meeting, civic or political function, etc., then I wear a suit (almost always a three-piece, but that's just me), and a really nice dress fedora.

As to hats, I would recommend you start out with three cheap fedoras in gray, brown, and silver belly. I say cheep because (speaking from experience) it usually takes a while to get used to and find the "right" color/style fedora that you really like. If you start out with some inexpensive hats and you don't like that particular color/style, you can easily change and try something else without feeling you have thrown away your money. Once you get the color/style fedora that you like, then invest some money in a quality hat. You won't be disappointed.

farmer

New in Town
Great advice guys! Thank you!

My grey fedora has a black band, so I wear black shoes/belt with that one.

My grey has a brown band (dark brown with a narrower light brown at it's center). So I should probably match it with brown belt and shoes?

kyboots

Practically Family
I think you do need to at least attempt to balance colors of the hat ( not necessary the band ) but otherwise I wear a hat with jeans and boots ( cowboy vs. engineers ). Shirts are patterned with spread collar or button down; generally nice shirts not pull overs. If I were still your age I would still wear pullovers. Enjoy the hat. Welcome to the lounge. (Wow 5 years on TFL)

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
As casual and informal as possible without looking like a fool, tool, or a clown. At least a somewhat fashionable look. The minimal I can get away with. I can always go up more formal from that point, if I feel like it.

Sure, one can say that you can wear anything at all, but one can also look ridiculous with that sort of thinking. And this goes for hat or no hat. Sort of reminds me of 'the emperor wears no clothes'

Also, what do you guys do with the hat when you are indoors? Like a museum or convention center type of thing. Usually I can just put a flat cap in my pocket in these situations, but I don't see that happening with a larger hat that's more 'shaped'.

I've always liked this vintage image of WWII nisei recruits. The guy on the far left has a printed t-shirt tucked into his khakis, and has a casually placed topper on his head. He looks cool, casual, and confident: it's all about how you wear it.
10550889_10204474754095906_3571968177437026935_n.jpg

As far as what to do with your hat indoors, either take it to coat check or carry it around. I'm sure a museum, like a bar, is an ok place to keep your hat on, since unlike a home or restaurant, there is no reasonable place to set it down.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Back in high school we had lockers. I didn't wear fedoras then but, if I did, I'd still need to find a solution. There were many instances where I had to go outside in order to go from one class to another.

Last time I visited a museum, I left my hat and poncho on. Last time I played music for a well-attended event, I took them off. It's a personal decision for everyone.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If you ramble through the posts in the hat section of FL, you'll see loungers wearing fedoras with everything from suits to Bermuda shorts. Jeans, khakis, tee shirts, sweaters, etc. Just wear the hat. Don't let the hat wear you. By that I mean be confident and don't worry about what other people will say or think.

Yes, I'd agree with that, I usually always wear a sweater, so it's combined with that plus slacks or jeans, sweater & fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails