Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a chalkstripe jacket.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
A while back I picked up a gray wool DB jacket with peak lapels and chalkstripes. It fits wonderfully and I think it looks rather smart, but I am at a complete loss as to what trousers to pair it with.
Here are a few pictures so you can see the jacket, the material and me.
Photo210.jpg

Photo211.jpg

Photo217.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
"I don't have a clue but that purple dressing gown, with the black lapels, looks rather smashing"
Thank you, I just found it recently among bits we had bought for costumes a long time ago. Pretty sure it had been a king's robe, but I have restored it to its original function.

Orgetorix said:
Matching chalkstripe trousers.

That is just the thing. I picked this jacket up at the thrift store a while back for $6 dollars and there were no matching trousers in sight. I was wondering if there was anyway I could preserve the usefulness of the jacket, which is in great condition.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Anything you would normally match a gray sports coat with would do nicely. White, or off-white pants would be my first choice, but avoid any off-whites that tend towards beige, brown, or cream. Checkout the Apparel Arts/Esquire/catalog images in the Suits forum stickies for ideas.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Yeps said:
That is just the thing. I picked this jacket up at the thrift store a while back for $6 dollars and there were no matching trousers in sight. I was wondering if there was anyway I could preserve the usefulness of the jacket, which is in great condition.

Did you look in the trousers section? If so and the store was a chain, check other stores of that chain nearby. Bastards are known to split up wonderful suits on occasion.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Did you look in the trousers section? If so and the store was a chain, check other stores of that chain nearby. Bastards are known to split up wonderful suits on occasion.
When I bought it I did check the trousers section, and it was lacking in any gray chalkstripes. It is quite bothersome to find suits split up.

RobStC

A-List Customer
cptjeff said:

Don't know what it is like in the US, but here in the UK most of the charity/goodwill shops are pretty sussed about keeping bits of a suit together.

So often, it's not so much that someone has deliberately split up a suit as that only the jacket has been brought in to the shop in the first place. This very often happens with suits simply because the trousers wear out (seat, knees) faster than the jacket part, leaving an awful lot of orphaned suit jackets ending up being donated to a charity shop.....:(

Rob St.C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points