Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What vinatge look should I wear...

Emer

One of the Regulars
...for a military promotion?

My husband is picking up and it's a big stepping stone since he officially becomes a senior enlisted. I'll be pinning on his new rank and I want to make sure I look swank. Our family will be there as well as his fellow Marines, commanding officers, and the whole lot of others he works with.

I was thinking some sort of navy or sailor inspired dress but would this be too costume-y? He'll be wearing his cammies, not an actual dress uniform.

Thank you!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you should stay away from dressing in pseudo-sailor garb. It's really cute for a picnic, but for the promotion, the attention should be focused on the person receiving the promotion.

I'd suggest a lovely 1940's dress with hair in a nice "do" and seamed stockings. That will let people know you consider this a special event, without taking away the attention from the deserving recipient.

My .02.

Vintage Betty

Rachael

A-List Customer
that's a tough one. the pinnings I attended were fairly low-key and I was the only one not in uniform, but my ex topped out at E5. I would ask other dependents who have spouses of similar rank what the formality level is for this type of promotion.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I agree with Vintage Betty. nothing "cutsey".. but a great 1940s dress (or suit), the hose, the 'do and red lipstick. Maybe even a hat. You'll be smashing : )

Congratulations to you and your husband.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think I'd wear a pencil skirt and silk or silk-looking blouse and vintage heels, maybe a nice jeweled pin and a strong set of vintage-style earrings with "done" hair, nothing too ostentatious, just dressed up.

I might do the color navy (I had a set of navy peep-toes I loved...*sniff*) but not an actual sailor-suit sort of thing, as adorable as they are.

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
My 2 cents- I agree with all the girls. I am here in the land of men in uniform and they all take it quite seriously. So I would do subtle vintage that does not look costume, but still looks good. I would do a vintage dress ( suit might be too formal and a dress can go either way), a good hair style that would not be huge ram rolls but give the feel of vintage (and makes you feel pretty) and a pair of vintage/vintage looking shoes. You don't want to take away from your fellow's big day, by drawing the attention away (unless you just can't help looking so cute darn it). Congrats have fun! PS wear that cute sailor suit the next time you go to the Queen Mary!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I agree with all the girls. I think you should wear a skirt suit with a nice blouse so that if you feel overdressed you can take off the jacket. If you would like to look more vintage, you could also wear driving gloves; again these would be easy to take off if you feel over dress. I would keep the makeup basic and I would wear my hair down with some nice waves, Ditta style. You want to make sure you compliment your husband without stealing the show.

IndieCherry

New in Town
I concur with MarieAnne 100%! Hair like Veronica Lake would look amazing without drawing too much attention the way victory rolls would. Nothing to obvious like a sailor dress, I think. Just a pencil skirt, blouse, jacket, seamed stockings, red pumps for an accent color?

Post pictures after the event and congrats to your hubby!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I think Vintage Betty hit this one right on. Nothing over the top, nothing showy. This is his event, and you're there to support him. Congrats to you both!

Trickeration

Practically Family
I've been a military wife for 18 years an counting (enlisted and eventually officer) and wear vintage daily. Here's what I've learned over the years.

Because you are a participant in the ceremony, you should dress according to the level of formality of the ceremony/to the same level your husband is dressed. In his uniform regs there should be a comparison list that tells the civilian equivalent to each uniform. This uniform = formal, this one = business-casual, and so on. It's always a good guideline if you're not sure.

If it's a lunchtime affair, where he's wearing more of a work sort of uniform, you could wear a casual suit or dress. If he's wearing his dress uniform and this is an evening event, you should be in at least a cocktail dress. Your hair and make-up should go with the dress you choose.

If you could tell me what he's wearing, time of the event, I can give you more suggestions.

Good luck and congratulations! Trix

Spaugs

New in Town
I'm with Vintage Betty. Actually, a nice dress, stockings, and shoes would be perfect. Considering he's not in full dress, I think the dress would be best if it stopped near the knees. That should add a little lightness to the whole thing. A suit is too serious, if you ask me.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Many thanks!!

Thank you SO much ladies! It's amazing how sometimes these types of occassions can stump a newbie. Will be sure to post pictures once all is said and done!

Thank you all so much again!

VintageRed

Familiar Face
I'm loving knowing that there's so many other military wives around here!

I feel even more at home, if that's remotely possible.

And you got lots of great and accurate info, so best of luck and can't wait to see the pics also! :)

Cheers,

~D, the Coastie Wife

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana