What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

Klute - I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for years (any time it was on tv here was at something like 2.45am) so I finally got to watch it last night and it was a bit of a disappointment - not that suspensful and the cinematography was so dark we nearly needed night vision goggles to figure out what was going on.

2. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

The Human Comedy (1943)

William Saroyan never caught on that he could have bored a hole in himself and let the sap out. His only film story (gosh, I wonder why) has to be one of the speechiest, preachiest stories ever put on screen, at least where the principals didn't wear robes and sandals. Mickey Rooney is his usual winning self, but the poor guy has to confront yet another Life Lesson about every 90 seconds.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Fletch, I watched it for the first time last night too. Even granting that the film came out at the darkest hour of the war, when messages about HUMANITY weren't out of place, it was jaw-droppingly overdone. From the ghostly father's sledgehammer narration to the sequence where the couple drive by the festival with those groups of people of each old-country heritage folk-dancing in their native costumes ("... but they're all AMERICANS!"), it was pretty hard to take.

This is allegedly the film that Louis B. Mayer was most proud of... and it's clear why: it's nearly the most idealized, sappy-sentimental image of small town life ever put on film (like It's A Wonderful Life... minus that film's cynical underbelly that helps elevate it to greatness). But it's certainly worth seeing once for curiosity's sake, at least as a home front piece.

And I will say that it featured an interestingly restrained, mature performance by Mickey Rooney - an actor that I usually can't stand. Plus it's a hoot to see some very young future stars in the supporting roles - Donna Reed, Van Johnson, Robert Mitchum, etc.

4. Akubra Man

Akubra Man One of the Regulars

Watched "The Thin Man" and "Life With Father". I had never seen either and enjoyed them both quite a lot. William Powell really has a large screen presence.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Previewing a second-run of "The Social Network." Gad. Is this what modern college kids are actually like???

6. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

A german silent one, 8mm, with English subtitles, "Variety" (1924).

One of the very best films I ever sew, silent or soundie.

Martin

7. HepKitty

HepKitty One Too Many

It Happened on 5th Avenue 1947... very funny, and oh the irony!

8. Polar Express. I wasn't impressed. The beginning was good and the ending was better, but the middle... :rolleyes:

9. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

The Bourne Identity

10. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

White Christmas

11. CopperNY

CopperNY A-List Customer

"Cast A Deadly Spell".

Lovecraftian influenced film noir set in a 1948 where magic is commonplace. Fred Ward and Julianne Moore. costuming was generic, but adequate.

enjoyed it very much. fans of Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series would be pleased.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Miracle on 34th Street. Can the shoulders on the adults :eeek: get any bigger and can little Natalie Wood get any cuter. [​IMG]

13. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

I watched Miracle on 34th Street today and am watching A Christmas Story right now.

14. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

An Education - well done, but it didn't quite live up to its reputation for me.

15. B.J. Hedberg

B.J. Hedberg Practically Family

Watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade last night at the family get-together; a bit of an odd combination.

16. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

Like several others, Miracle on 34th Street. Depleted audience due to this weird flu thing in circulation, and teenage indifference to our grown up need for sappy sentimentality. For us hardcore viewers, it's alway great.

17. Anthony K

Anthony K Familiar Face

A Christmas Story (quite a few times since last night, thanks TBS, though I get annoyed by the commercial breaks so I keep putting my dvd in and watching it).

18. deadpandiva

deadpandiva Call Me a Cab

Spirited Away, Remember The Night, It Happend on 5th Avenue, The Man Who Came To Dinner

19. A Christmas Carol (1938), with Reginald Owen, Gene, Kathleen, and (in a small role) June Lockhart. The 1951 version with Alastair Sim is generally considered to be better, but I like the MGM gloss version just as well.

20. tbrunke

tbrunke Familiar Face

"My Favorite Brunette" with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour, a funny flick and Bing Crosby has a bit part at the end of the movie.