Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first car?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first car was a gray, four-door, 1962 Plymouth Belvedere. This was in 1971. I spent about $30 on an eight-track tape player and had "roll and tuck" seats in the car. After ballgames, I would take a couple of the cheerleaders out for a ride. We really had a blast in that car. That old Plymouth would really run - especially on the dirt roads. :D

What about you all? What was your "first car"? Any special or interesting stories associated with the car?

Red & white 1955 Chevy BelAire 265 powerglide 2D HT..my Senior year in HS (1964-65). A cheerleader rode in it practically everyday that year. Liked the car and Beatle haircut so much..that she married them the next year....

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
1981 Datsun 210 station wagon. Purchased for $600 upon my discharge from the US Navy in 1989. It had 110,000 miles on it when I got it. Was a GREAT car...

Oh, the fun times I had in that car!!!!

Pete

Rathdown

Practically Family
First car? a 1950 Mercury purchased in 1963 for $50, before I had a driver's license. That was quickly followed by a '55 Ford convertible, then an MGTC, which was sold to make room for a 1954 Jaguar XK140 MC drop head coupe, which was replaced by a 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk and a 1960 Morgan roadster (purchased weeks apart) when I went off to university in 1965. Since then I've owned close to 100 cars if I count my race cars.

Justin B

One Too Many
First car was a '77 Buick LeSabre that was a hand-me-down from my Granddad. The title was signed into my name and three days later I had it sold. Bought me a '69 Superbee and promptly got three speeding tickets the first day driving it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I only began driving a couple of years ago (this is what comes of living close to town and being ferried everywhere by your folks!) so got my first car two years ago - a Hyundai i10.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
1963 Chevy II...a wreck of a car but an awful lot of fun when you're at university. Police really seemed to relish pulling it over for safety checks! It was followed by a 1966 Oldsmobile F-85...a sounder vehicle but a bit like driving a bus after the Chevy II. And then I went a bit backward with a 1964 Chevy Biscayne. First actual new car...new from the dealer...was a 1979 Honda Accord. Not many of those on the road at the time. Owners used to give each other a wave!

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1969 Volkswagen Beetle. 1930's technology at its finest. Never had to worry about the engine freezing up on a winter morning, but I myself would often freeze in the driver's seat. I once drove it off the road in a sleet storm and into a drainage ditch, but was able to push it back onto the road without any help. That was long before the sciatica set in.

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
My dad's old, rusted yellow 1969 Chevrolet Impala with a 327 cu in engine. It ran well but the body was going south fast by 1974!. I used to make extra money during my teenage years as a drummer in a jazz/blues /wedding band and I had to put plywood in the trunk so that my drums and accessories wouldn't fall through the rusted trunk floor.

1969 Mustang Mach 1. Green with black. Wasn't cherry, but it was a car and it got me hooked on muscles. The next one was a 69 Z/28 302 and it was basically a show car. Haven't looked back since. That's my bloodline. Like others here, no need to explain. :)

kpreed

One of the Regulars
My first "car" was a truck, a 1955 Ford. From it I earned enough to get my first car.
img008.jpg

FJJoulie021_4-1.jpg

A 1956 Chevy. 265 v-8, 3- 2 barrel carbs and a 4-speed (what fun!). Here I am getting ready for Friday night at the Dragstrip, still have my membership card and my lowest race time in the quarter mile (13.94).

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
1995 VW Jetta, manual transmission, 2.0L fourbanger. Red. That was a fun car. Shortly after I went to college, it went up in a cloud of white smoke. We have yet to see what the first car that I actually buy for myself is.

HardBoiledMarlowe

One of the Regulars
My first car was a low-mileage 1979 Chevrolet Impala purchased from an elderly woman. It was far from pleasing to the eye, but it could go fast and we could cram a lot of people in it. It last for a few months before the crankshaft bent. My first (and only so far) project car was a 1959 Rambler Super Sedan. I loved the slightly goofy look and spent a lot of time trying to restore it. I eventually ran out of time, money and a space to store it and had to sell it.

Flicka

One Too Many
The first car in the family after I was born was a Volvo PV. I don't remember which model, but it was definitely a pre-1960 model. It had very a nifty footstep and could probably have withstood WWIII (I have a vague feeling it had a partitioned windshield, but I might have dreamed that). Unfortunately the engine broke down so my dad sold it and got us a crap Alfa Romeo sporty car instead. I remember crying when we got rid of it.

My then-BF and I got our first car in '96. It was a red Pontiac Grand Prix ('90, I think) with a cool little computer screen which showed a sort of blue-print of the car. Looked very sci-fi. Unfortunately, the doors were so loooooong that if a car was parked next to you, you could only open it a fraction and had to slither out like you were imitating a cobra.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My first car was a low-mileage 1979 Chevrolet Impala purchased from an elderly woman. It was far from pleasing to the eye, but it could go fast and we could cram a lot of people in it. It last for a few months before the crankshaft bent. My first (and only so far) project car was a 1959 Rambler Super Sedan. I loved the slightly goofy look and spent a lot of time trying to restore it. I eventually ran out of time, money and a space to store it and had to sell it.

We had a '59 Rambler when I was a kid -- until the day my father tried to start it on a cold morning and cracked the engine block. I always thought it looked like a Checker taxicab with a bad attitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto