Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What we have to put up with!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Admittedly, while it was borderline rude (perhaps even rude), I found it to be strangely amusing, even humorous. You know, the point about hats wearing people...

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
so that's what passes for journalism today? Shouldn't the writer be sticking their foot in a door somewhere or exposing to the world some shonky western suburbs electrician instead? What do you imagine their brief was when they were directed to write this article?

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
J B said:
Admittedly, while it was borderline rude (perhaps even rude), I found it to be strangely amusing, even humorous. You know, the point about hats wearing people...
I love a good joke. I don't mind some cutting satire. And many people deserve to be laughed at, hatwearers included. But this article was just a weak premise poorly executed.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
VitaminG said:
I love a good joke. I don't mind some cutting satire. And many people deserve to be laughed at, hatwearers included. But this article was just a weak premise poorly executed.

You're right, it was a pretty weak article, and it even came off as rude, but it had it's moments. However, I could definitely see how this could be some sort of satire.

J. M. Stovall said:
I prefer "nerd".

Same here. I guess I might be considered by some as a "nerd," but I do live up to what may be stereotypes, such as Star Trek, researching historical topics, politics, and an interest in old things in general; clothing, cars, music, etc... I'd take nerd over dork.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This has got me thinking that the author of that article is probably thinking too many avid hat-wearers (like us here) are wearing hats that don't look particularly flattering on them, or don't look appropriate in their environment or situation (the author's mention of Akubras in the city come to mind, but even then I disagree). Whatever the case, my opinion has not changed. Most, if not all Fedora Loungers actually look good in their hats or attire anyway!

Elgin1924

New in Town
J B said:
This has got me thinking that the author of that article is probably thinking too many avid hat-wearers (like us here) are wearing hats that don't look particularly flattering on them, or don't look appropriate in their environment or situation (the author's mention of Akubras in the city come to mind, but even then I disagree). Whatever the case, my opinion has not changed. Most, if not all Fedora Loungers actually look good in their hats or attire anyway!

Either that or sheer bad taste.

I'm sure he is one of the "unaffected" ones that happily don baseball caps for that rare occasion when a hat is required. :p If I met this person in real life I would just ignore him anyway.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how one looks at it), the internet has allowed our definition of journalism to go through an evolutionary change of sorts. I mean, just because something is written in a form that resembles journalism, and is now so easily 'published,' it is dubbed journalism even though there is nothing very 'journalistic' about it (even if it is the australian news. It could be print's equivalent to Weekly World News for all I know).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've already been called a...

Weirdo.
Nerd.
Freak.
Gay.
Pussy.
Crazy person.

for loving vintage stuff. If wearing hats makes me a 'dork', I'll just add it to the list...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Maybe the...

...author's mother was frightened by a hat.

Having read these threads for a couple of years, I'd say we're probably a bit dorky (dorkey? dorkee?).

So? Who has a life that can't be be picked apart? We're harmless enough. The only thing we hurt is the sense of shame of a generation of people who vaguely feel they are doing something wrong with the way they are dressing.

Who here hasn't heard something apologetic from a sloppy dresser?

facade

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how one looks at it), the internet has allowed our definition of journalism to go through an evolutionary change of sorts. I mean, just because something is written in a form that resembles journalism, and is now so easily 'published,' it is dubbed journalism even though there is nothing very 'journalistic' about it (even if it is the australian news. It could be print's equivalent to Weekly World News for all I know).

Its an opinion/blog piece meant to be funny (hence the title "The Wry Side") its not intended to be journalism.

Obviously the author is not a fan of fashionable hats. One point is quite correct though. If one looks like they are wearing a costume, then they do look foolish.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Maybe...

J B said:

I dunno J B, the writer pretty much was saying that hats in the city wore dorks. Ordinary non-dorks were chosen by ball caps (ball caps, in my opinion, have the transformational power to turn anyone into a dork, even baseball players--and I do own a few myself). So I think he is making a broader generalization.
And really, he's talking dorkdom and referencing DOBIE GILLIS? Dobie Gillis? Bob Denver's impact on hipster fashion was the same as Starsky and Hutch's Huggy Bear on urban, black fashion: absolutely nothing.
Central Casting we need some kind of stand in stereotype, accuracy not necessary...

Unca DORKY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto