Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would an AAF Crew Chief tool box look like?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hi guys,

I am building up an AAF tool box...what would one look like? What type of tools? I am looking for any pictures you might have.
I would imagine any typical wrench, screwdriver set from the period would work, but dang it, ....any help from the AAF guys...

Thanks
John

1930artdeco

Practically Family
The main only real difference between then and now is the snoopy tool (to open the zeus fastener) and computers. Other than that a basic set of wrenches and screw drivers will work. Remember these aircraft were not complex.

Mike

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Stearman,

thanks I will look at the jeep website....I imagine the basic tools would be the same..
Update...I have an old OD Kennedy with the trays that fold out when opened..date unkown and the small type that have a pull out tray and two hinged lids..both would be correct it looks like..now to find the right screwdrivers etc...

1930...I have seen pictures of the old wodden handle snoopy. I have my snoopy from the my F4 days, it has black plastic handles. Would they have called them snoopy tools back then, since snoopy had yet to be born? Would they have safety wire pliers?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
They would most definitely have safety wire pliers. I worked on WWII aircraft, lots of safety wire, and Zeus fasteners! Leather handles seem to be the big difference. The boxes, appear to be just civilian jobs painted OD, except the USN boxes.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
depending on your budget, you can get automotive tools from that time and they probably would be the exact same thing. Remember, cars and planes were the same technologically speaking back then. The screw sticks would have a wooden handle more than likely, and as far as the 'snoopy tool' wrap the handle in electrical tape and just say the handle is cracking and you don't want splinters;)

Mike

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thanks for the help guys..I do have a set of SW pliers..I dont think they changed too much so they should work fine,,, also..Tool boxes...The Kennedy that I have has the triangle indent but the wrong style handle..I can live with that...

Now where did that Wright Cyclone get to.......

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One other tool that was indescribable, would be a Philips Screwdriver. WWII airplanes had thousands of them. I remember one week removing over 300 per wing on a PV2. I went out twice a day and soaked them with penetrating oil, then I broke them loose by hand, man, did I have some blisters!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey Stearman...

Back in the day we used speed handles to remove all those panels screwed on...then the USAF went to battery drills as an option, along with the speed handle....did the AAF guys have speed handles?

I feel your pain when it comes to pulling panels....

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a couple of guys trying to get it right! I don't know if it's completely authentic, but they put on a good display!

DSC_0395_zps2b90cead.jpg

DSC_0396_zpsaf89af52.jpg

-dixon cannon

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hey Stearman...

Back in the day we used speed handles to remove all those panels screwed on...then the USAF went to battery drills as an option, along with the speed handle....did the AAF guys have speed handles?

I feel your pain when it comes to pulling panels....
The problem was, all the screws had a couple of layers of paint. Once they were broke loose, you could use an electric screw driver. Funny how the old cordless jobs, would always drain your second set of batteries just as you were putting the panels back on the bottom of the wing! Yes, the speed wrench had been invented before WWII.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
We had a tool that worked like a mechanical impact wrench. Was a hand held piece of steel with an internal spring, when you wacked it, the head,with a #2 apex, would turn just a little, thus breaking free the screw, or stripping the head then it would have to be drilled..phooey

Glad to see those mugs pop up, I was hoping to get their attention,,,

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Think I found a good box to use...dont know if it is GI but the handles are killer and the box itself looks period..Might even be a tool box found on a plane....just using my imagination....
Found it today at the local flea market along with a 43 womans field jacket, not a bad day....

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
For those interested...Jeff Ethell Warbirds has a some great shots of maintenance areas in WWII AAF units...some nice color shots of the A frame Kennedy tool box....Over the last year, I have been able to aquire a few at the local flea market, with the correct D ring leather handle....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana