Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you bid on this?

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
I'm just getting my feet under me in this dizzying endeavor. I've been scouring eBay for a few hours and I wanted to get an idea on what you all think this suit and paraphernalia might end up going for (assuming you're not already going to bid on it and don't mind giving away what you'll go up to):

[Live eBay Auction Link Removed.]

Not really related, but also banging around in my head: how far off your measurements should you risk getting something if it looks like a good catch? Is there some kind of rule-of-thumb to indicate whether a given size suit might have enough material in it to get it fitted? One size? Two sizes? More? Is it better to get it too big, rather than too little?

Sorry if these are noob questions...

Thanks for the great info!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
just an FYI.....links to auctions that are not already over with are not allowed.

Of course, one of the reasons being, that showing it to -all- the members and guests here, pretty much means you just pointed out something and increased the number of bidders on that auction......

Bid what you're prepared to pay. As with all second (at least) hand clothing the suit is worth what one person is prepared to pay for it.

For Donegal tweed from the 40s, expect to have to pay a bit more than for a common fabric.

btw. that's not a zoot suit. If that's what you're looking for, that suit is not what you want.

bk

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I would say if you like it his style, it is a pretty sweet example of it. I would bet it will bring about seventy bucks. I often think things like this should bring more, but it is not that desirable or rare.

I would ask them to knock a few bucks off the shipping and not send the shoes.

As far as alteration, I would write the seller for an exact measurement of the across the chest measurement, and ask if there is any size on the label.

As fr as alterations, a good tailor can take a suit in about a size, with okay results. Out is pretty unlikely unless it just needs a touch here or there.

THis suit, if I found it in a thrift store and had to pay thirty or forty bucks for laterations, I might consider it. I would not pay a lot for it if I had to pay a lot to later it.

Of course, waist and length of sleeves or pants is pretty easy. Also, taking in th waist is not too hard on the jacket either. But on the chest, the arms have ot come off and the jacket must be rebuilt. I have only done it once, but the suit was pretty rare.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Do you already have a suit or sportcoat that fits you well? If not, go to a thrift store and try on jackets until you find one that feels good. Doesn't matter what quality it is, you're just looking for a baseline to help with measurements. Once you have a jacket that fits, look at this tutorial and take all the appropriate measurements. Those are the measurements you should be using for your Ebay shopping. Try and find something that comes as close to those as possible, and, as BK already said, steer away from anything that doesn't fit, no matter how nice. A $4000 Oxxford suit that you pick up for $10 is a waste of $10 if you decide it's uncomfortable and it just hangs in your closet.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Who knew. Never underestimate the bidding war.

I gotta start keeping my eyes open for wool fleck suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy