Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a wind trolley?

STHill

One of the Regulars
More newbie ignorance. I've seen one, so I know what it looks like. But what does it do? And how does it work?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wind Trolly

Also known as the "wind catcher" string and button.

This is a cord and button which goes around the crown of the hat. Looks like a decorative trim.

You slide the button back, thereby loosing up the cord around the crown. You then take the cord and affix it to your jacket lapel button. The little "noose" or loop then goes around the button on your coat. You effectively leash your hat to your clothes.

When the wind blows, your hat doesn't fly down the street, off the balcony, or into the bay on those windy ferry boat rides.

Last edited:

havershaw

Practically Family
The price you pay: you walk around with a string connecting your hat to your body.

I tried it once. Not only did it look a little...um, dorky, but everyone asked me why my hat was tehered to my body.

I like the way they look on a hat, just not in use.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
A True winter hat eh!

I had to laugh Bob....I immediately thought of winter mittens either connected together with a really long bit of wool or pinned to the old sleeves. LOL .

Kilgour Trout

Hey andy,

Now that is interesting. I have that on several of my old hats and never knew what is was for. Now that I know what it is for, I probably will never use it but it is there if I need it.
It make syou wonder how many of these actually survived on the hats they were installed on.

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't think so.....

Originally posted by STHill
Thanks for the info, guys. That has got to be one of the goofiest accessories of all time.

O kind man in the sharp looking hat:

I do beg to differ, as I wore my Optimo hat one afternoon when we took the Larkspur Ferry (Golden Gate Transit) to SF and a trip to Pier 39. My young son wanted to be outside..but the wind was screaming. I had to NOT wear my hat and hold it in my hand. Now that was due to the fear and real probability that the $400 lid would become a raft for the sea gulls!

Even if I had on a cheap Stetson 3X Imperial (Just a barb Steve!ahahh), I'd feel very badly if it blew into the drink. I know not everyone will be on a windy ferry boat ride, but there are tall buildings, Chicago blows, and Nor Easters. It's nice to have some "protection"....ohhhh that T.V. commercial!!

Re: I don't think so.....

Originally posted by Andykev
O kind man in the sharp looking hat:

I do beg to differ, as I wore my Optimo hat one afternoon when we took the Larkspur Ferry (Golden Gate Transit) to SF and a trip to Pier 39. My young son wanted to be outside..but the wind was screaming. I had to NOT wear my hat and hold it in my hand. Now that was due to the fear and real probability that the $400 lid would become a raft for the sea gulls!

Even if I had on a cheap Stetson 3X Imperial (Just a barb Steve!ahahh), I'd feel very badly if it blew into the drink. I know not everyone will be on a windy ferry boat ride, but there are tall buildings, Chicago blows, and Nor Easters. It's nice to have some "protection"....ohhhh that T.V. commercial!!

Hmmm, the new Optimo that costs $400 and does not have an accessory that my old Royal Stetson Whippet does. Now who's hat is the "cheap" one? By the way, how does that new felt feel without the craftsmanship of the old masters behind it? LOL
Don't worry the seagulls won't know the difference as the modern stiffening agents poison them. :D

Regards to all,

J

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Optimos don't really have any stiffening agents in them. If they do, it's very little, because they are floppy as can be.

For my money, Optimo's current Nutria/Beaver blend felt is the best modern felt on the market. Compared to the best vintage felt, it is not quite there yet. I say yet, because Graham sees their felt always as a work in progress, and is constantly seeking to improve it.

You can get an Optimo with a wind trolley, but most people don't get it. I think that Matt Deckard has at least one from them with a trolley.

If you're in the Bay area you need to get together with Andykev to see the best modern, and the best vintage felt. He has both.

Imahomer

Practically Family
So, does anyone here actually use this? Andy, or someone with one of these, can you post a photo or two? I'd like to actually see one of these.
Thanks.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Images are from Art's website
mh-0222.jpg

mh-0220A.jpg

Fedora

Vendor
Even if I had on a cheap Stetson 3X Imperial

LOL I need one of those. A 3x Imperial. I heard it is not as good as the 7x Royal Deluxe though.;)

Those little strings would come in handy if you lived where it was windy, like the Windy City, or on a coastline. I would go with the other options, staples, or the Aussie chin strap. Especially if I were wearing a vintage 7x Royal Deluxe Knox 20 with the Cavanagh edge. LOL Fedora

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I had Graham put one on my Grey Optimo and I had to use it on a windy day while on a ferry heading to Catalina Island. Wind was no strong enough to pull the hat off my head, though the string is strong enough to hold the hat to my jacket if it flew away (I tested it). got the cool brim flopping in the wind look though.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wind Trolly - Wind Catcher

Whatever you call it, yes, I have two Optimo's that have this option. I had three, but sent my Willow colored Optimo back to be resized, and asked Graham to remove it.

A few of my vintage hats have the wind catcher button and cord, but it is worth noting that ONE of my vintage hats had a FAKE one, it was just a loop of elastic cord with the button. Pure decoration.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Re: Wind Trolly - Wind Catcher

Originally posted by Andykev
A few of my vintage hats have the wind catcher button and cord, but it is worth noting that ONE of my vintage hats had a FAKE one, it was just a loop of elastic cord with the button. Pure decoration.

Ah ha! Then I'm not a complete idiot for not being able to figure how they were used (always a refreshing revelation). The one I saw was a "faux" trolley, like you describe. I couldn't figure out how in the heck it would keep your hat from blowing off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana