What's a wind trolley?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by STHill, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Andykev

Andykev I'll Lock Up Bartender

Re: Re: Wind Trolly - Wind Catcher

Shame on me. It is too often we take it for granted, that you were looking at a "working" cord and button. Ha! I guess next time I will think the answer and put in some more detail.

I do feel when the ONE time I used the cord and button, it was kind of like Charlie McCarthy's glasses and string (anyone remember him, Edgar Bergen?).

2. Re: Wind Trolly - Wind Catcher

Ahhhhh! You removed it?! Heresy. LOL
    The fake cord sounds interesting. I would worry about the elastic cord staining the felt when the elastic degrades though.
    Sounds like you have a hat museum not a hat colletion there. :D Ever think about putting together a picture book of your collection pointing out the various idiosyncracies? I am close enough to check it out but we have to be inclusive so Dave can check it out from 3000 miles away. LOL

Regards to all,

J

3. Engr-Chas

Engr-Chas Familiar Face

Details

Can someone post some pics of the details on how the cord is attached to the hat. Also, what type of material is the cord? Is it a special button? Trying to see if I can make and install one on my lid. As much detail as possible would help.
    Thanks,
    Charles

4. Zane

Zane Suspended

Wind cords Aka trolley cords or wind trolleys . I have seen are in 2 varieties. One decorative and one functional.

All I have seen in recent years are made of stretchy stuff. A simple elastic round cord and has a simple upholstered button like is sold in any faberic store or upholstery shop.

I have several of the white ones for decorative purposes and will send you some in an envelope if you want to send me your address.

They used to have a supplier at work for them (the real ones)but that was a long time ago and I am not sure if they can still get them or not.

The decorative version is a lot shorter but will give you the pattern of it and if you like I will take a picture of a functional one and send it along with the decorative one.

Hope this helps.

5. Zane

Zane Suspended

Shucks , Just look above for the picture of a working one zohar posted and let me know if you want one sent or more.

6. Zane

Zane Suspended

Shucks , Just look above for the picture of a working one zohar posted and let me know if you want one sent or more.

7. David V

David V A-List Customer

Tues. was very windy here in Chicago. The Stetson Panama took off on me. Chased it down and wished it had a trolley. That got me wondering, I've got trolleys on my fedoras but have never used them.

Has anyone actually used their hat trolley?

8. Snrbfshn

Snrbfshn A-List Customer

Makes me leery...

I've not used one yet. On most of my hats with functional trolleys, the cord is elastic. I guess I'm uneasy with trusting a 50 or 60 year old piece of potentially dry-rotted, thread-wrapped latex. Granted, if the wind snatches my hat and the cord breaks it's the same as not using the cord. Except that if/when I get the hat back, it's got a busted wind trolley.

9. MattJH

MattJH One Too Many

The only hat I own with a wind / lapel trolley is my Barbisio. I'd feel silly using it, though. I'd rather just take the hat off while I walked.

10. epic610

epic610 One of the Regulars

i wouldn't be surprised...

if there weren't some old photographs of people in a crowd, circi '30's or '40's where some of the men have their wind trolleys hooked up. perhaps someone on this forum has such a photo in their files.

11. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Once... then my girlfriend at the time told me to put it back on my hat.

12. David V

David V A-List Customer

Everyone seems to feel the same way I do. It is one of those really usefull things, like those big over the glasses sunglasses older people eating at Cracker Barrel wear, that look foolish. :)

13. Or like a monocle on a string. ;)

14. I've used a wind trolley once. During a thunderstorm that looked like it was going to produce a tornado. I'm sure the wind trolley would've saved me in that situation . . .

bk

15. Andykev

Andykev I'll Lock Up Bartender

YES

On the ferry boat from Larkspur to San Francisco, across the bay. Got really windy passing Alcatraz.....I had on my new Optimo. Used the trolly, looping it to my shirt button. I STILL kept one hand on the hat the whole time I was out on deck. And it was funny, like the Planters Peanut Man with his top hat, monocle, and cane.

16. Picker

Picker One of the Regulars

Yep. Standing on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Picker

17. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

Crossing the bridge over the River Thames...hat blew off, wind trolley saved me from diving in after it.

18. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

Yep! On windy days in Morro Bay.

Cheers!

Dan

19. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

One would think that on trolly equipped hats..said hat would be important enough to use the trolly when needed rather then lose the hat due to carelessness....or concern about appearing 'dorky' or whatever adjective you want to use in its place...

scottyrocks and MarkStar like this.
  20. MattJH

MattJH One Too Many

If I'm wearing a hat and it's windy, I'm taking the hat off. Wind trolleys are... dainty, totally unnecessary, impractical. Why would you go through the bother of unwrapping the wind trolley and pushing it through a button in your lapel if you can just take the hat off? An even better question -- what if you aren't wearing a shirt that has a button hole? It's 2007. The whole idea is outdated to me.