What's a wind trolley?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by STHill, Jun 9, 2004.

1. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

Yes I do, I have some hats with it, here in SLP from Febreaury till March is windy.

2. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

My favorite fedora, my Dobbs 20 has one and I used it when its windy. Its quite handy actually and it doesn't look that wierd. As Edwards well said its less funny than chasing after one's hat...

Coincidentally I was wearing it while talking to people. Just when they started to notice it and were about to ask me "What the hell is that?" the wind blew my hat off and the trolley bounced it right back in my hands. Their questions of what is was suddenly turned into, "Why that's quite clever." ;)

NOTE: Here is a photo of that day actually, you really have to look closely to see the trolley.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    Edward, MarkStar, Bigger Don and 3 others like this.
  3. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

I never use my hat trolleys. The only one I ever even think about is on my Stetson 25, and it's slack. I can't think of a way to tighten it up, so I'll probably wind up cutting it off. When a wind comes up, I angle my head into it, and if gusts are really bad, I hang one with one hand.

4. If the wind trolley doesn't tighten up against the crown by sliding the button backwards, it is not on correctly.

scottyrocks and RJR like this.
  5. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Norman Rockwell's first Saturday Evening Post cover.

[​IMG]

MarkStar likes this.
  6. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Good post A.C. Got to love the iconic paintings of Norman Rockwell. They document America during his life via The Saturday Evening Post.

" The first Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post cover was published May 20, 1916. Entitled Boy with Baby Carriage, it shows 2 boys in baseball uniforms scoffing at another boy dressed in his Sunday suit pushing a baby carriage. One of Norman Rockwell's favorite models, Billy Paine, posed for all three boys."

This was one of many Boy Scout posters in my bedroom as a child, fueling my Boy Scout passion:

[​IMG]

The Boy Scout posters were replaced by posters of rock bands, sports stars and startlets as I got older. The best, in reflection, were the early posters.

Best Eric -

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. Annixter

Annixter Practically Family

I think the millions oppressed by Jim Crow, Alien Registration Act, and Executive Order 9066 laws, among others, would disagree. Fortunately, Rockwell turned his art to a more accurate representation of America in his later years.

That's a good example of a wind trolley though.

8. Bob Beecher

Bob Beecher One of the Regulars

I read that the button goes into the little buttonhole on the back of your shirt collar. Remember those? I do! When I was growing up (in the 1960s), my shirts had a little button and buttonhole on the back of the collar. I could never figure out what that was for!

Edward likes this.
  9. EggHead

EggHead Practically Family

OK, it's a bus with a sail. Not in service on calm days.

10. Tomasso

That button feature is designed to keep the collar in place. ;)

scottyrocks and Edward like this.
  11. Espee

Espee Practically Family

I'm reading this while standing on an overpass waiting to take a picture of Union Pacific steam engine 844. My hat's in the car because I don't want to have another "windy overpass incident."
    Although the hat would be retrievable here, unlike my "downtown L.A. freeway overpass incident" earlier this year.

12. Tomasso

I feel your pain, brother. I once lost one while crossing the Michigan Avenue bridge in Chicago.:(

13. Jim2903

Jim2903 One of the Regulars

Had to use mine today, on my Akubra Campdraft ...

14. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Someone on another forum posted this and I thought it pertained to this thread.

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

15. Duper

Duper Practically Family

Terrific picture and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

16. AXL DEMOCRACY

AXL DEMOCRACY One of the Regulars

I just won a vintage Alessandria Borsalino and it has a wind trolley on it. I have not received it yet and this will be my first hat with one; is it easy to take off if I don't like it?

17. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

If you want to remove it but find it difficult to remove completely, you can always clip the string at the base.

18. PabloElFlamenco

PabloElFlamenco Practically Family

In may earlier this year, I made one myself for my Panama Bob Panama hat; with a piece of string and a small copper-colored safety pin replacing the button; in anticipation of the ferry to a Greek island.

19. AXL DEMOCRACY

AXL DEMOCRACY One of the Regulars

Thank you for the advice!

20. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Old but good thread!!!!
    M

Short Balding Guy likes this.