Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Cooking for Your Holiday Dinner?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm curious about what everyone is having for whatever celebration they will be observing at this time of year.

America being a melting pot, people will have everything from Turkey to Lamb, Ham to soy glob. What about the rest of the world?

Here's a thing about Americans: We have all these recipes from "the old country" that people from those countries today find mystifying. You see, the dishes were preserved as they were brought here, as a treasured family heirloom. Meanwhile, back in Italy, or Sweden, etc., the same recipes evolved and changed with the generations. So if you want to eat a dish that is the same as that made in, say, Germany in 1900, you must come to America.

I'm doing a 14-rib crown roast of pork Sunday, and a ham on Monday. I also do Andre' Soltner's Tart Flambe' (not Tammy :)), A Lindy's cheesecake, assorted cheeses, etc. I normally do a standing rib roast of beef with Yorkshire Pudding, but this year they roasts were a little dear at $80 plus for 3 ribs.
I may just brine the pork roast... hmmm....

What's on your menu? We have quite an international community here. I'd love to know what's cooking in Austria, Germany, England, Denmark, Russia, Australia, Mexico, France, Japan, Canada...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Family lines date back to England and Scotland. A crown roast or
turkey, plum pudding, Yorkshire pudding, brandy.
I'm the non-Scrooge bachelor uncle who shows up for dinner.:)

griffer

Practically Family
Turducken. With company.

Thick cut porterhouses, for the two of us.

Sorry, no signature dishes from the old country.

Welsh and German heritage, but all engineers- both male and female, not a lot of great cooks.

We have adopted sp?§tzle as our 'old world' favorite.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Since you asked...from the deep south...

Christmas Eve:
Standing rib roast (a gift, didn't know about the price, wow!)
Yorkshire pudding (which didn't turn out well last year)
Asparagus
Roasted potatoes
Cauliflower (not my idea)

Appetizers:
Assorted cheeses
Marinated shrimp

Dessert:
Pots de creme
Assorted candies

Christmas day:
Shrimp Creole
Asprin

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Louisiana

I will not go into the whole menu, as most of it is pretty common, but we do two (I think) unusual things. The first is Christmas Eve gumbo. It is the center piece of our Reveillon Dinner. The other item is Oyster Dressing, which is a big draw for our entire family. Oysters are a big part of our Christmas around here, and we will have broiled oysters at Reveillon as well.

Most years we would have a deep fried turkey, but my fryer is broken, and the peanut oil costs a fortune if you are only doing one turkey.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

My parents (now in their eighties) and my girlfriend will be here for the holidays. On Christmas eve I plan to have country ham and biscuits. Then its off to Midnight Mass. Christmas dinner will be turkey (maybe fried, maybe baked), sweet potatoes, collards, deviled eggs, dressing, cranberries, string beans and celery sticks. Then pecan pie, sweet potato pie and figgie puddin' for dessert.

Atticus

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
We'll have a big gathering out at my Mama's for breakfast on Christmas. We usually have country ham, fresh pork link sausage, eggs, and grits and biscuits. It's a simple meal but oh so good;)

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

My parents (now in their eighties) and my girlfriend will be here for the holidays. On Christmas eve I plan to have country ham and biscuits. Then its off to Midnight Mass. Christmas dinner will be turkey (maybe fried, maybe baked), sweet potatoes, collards, deviled eggs, dressing, cranberries, string beans and celery sticks. Then pecan pie, sweet potato pie and figgie puddin' for dessert.

Atticus

That sounds good too!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
So one needn't only serve Yorkshire pudding with beef?

My family's traditional feast has always included plum and Yorkshire
pudding, and also some post-Thanksgiving pilgrim fare like pumpkin pie.:)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
griffer said:
Turducken. With company.

Thick cut porterhouses, for the two of us.

Sorry, no signature dishes from the old country.

Welsh and German heritage, but all engineers- both male and female, not a lot of great cooks.

We have adopted sp?§tzle as our 'old world' favorite.

Turducken???? My niece said she's going to make that on Christmas eve.lol I'm glad someone else eats it.

ortega76

Practically Family
I'm heading home to Chicago for the holiday where I'll be enjoying some tamales, rice and other Mexican dishes I don't much of anymore. An interesting dish is a "raisin" tamale my grandmother used to make. It's cooked like a meat-filled tamale but filled with mashed raisins and cinnamon. Quite intriguing.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, please, you guys and gals are making me hungry...

Christmas Eve, mother and I will go to my niece's home and have cold cuts, cheese, good bread, wine, chips, dips, condiments, or anything else someone happens to bring. Kiddies will open presents.

Christmas Day we will go over to my other niece's home and have turkey, ham, mashed potatos and gravy, veggies, several kinds of pie and ice cream, and anything else someone happens to bring. And the kiddies will open presents.

Mother has refused to cook since father died and you really wouldn't want to eat anything I cooked, but we will bring some good wine. Oh, and did I mention, the kiddies will open (too many) presents?

karol

GOK

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Pecan Pie! A good friend from the lounge shared his pecan pie secret recipe and it's going to turn up on my table this year for sure!

Mmmmm pecan pie is so yummy! :D

Scott, Yorkies can be served with any roast. Every year, for his special b/day dinner, my youngest son always asked for a giant Yorkie with a roast inside it!

Also, if you make extra Yorkies (or batter cakes as they are also known), when they are cold you can have them with stawberry jam on at tea time! :D

Salv

One Too Many
Slightly O/T as it's not strictly Christmas food, but there's a Brit delicacy called Toad In The Hole that is simply sausages in Yorkshire pud batter:
800px-Toad_in_the_hole.jpg

Best served with some slow cooked onion gravy poured over the top, and washed down with a pint of Ringwood's Old Thumper! Pub lunch heaven!

I've also tried Toad In The Hole using chorizo picante and it's an amazing combination.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
This Christmas I am rebelling against making a trifle (again) for the Boyfriend's family and am instead making Pavlova. Basically a giant meringue with a slightly more sticky texture invented in New Zealand, although Australians will continue to debate that! :p It is named after the ballet dancer Anna Pavlova, immitaing her tutu.

See http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/pavlova.html for a few details, if you are interested.

It is really tradtional in New Zealand, usually topped with whipped cream and slices of kiwifruit and strawberries. Hmmmmm. I am going to make little individual ones, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk