Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's cooking?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The "bring back sunday dinner" thread inspired me,so my family has started cooking again and not just on sundays.

Sunday we had dinner with my mother,grandmother,aunt and uncle.
I made a baby spinach salad with sliced roma tomatoes,blue cheese,and a light vinagriette dressing.
My mother made chicken and dumplings with carrots.
We cheated and bought an apple pie which we re-heated in the oven then served with vanilla icecream.
Everyone indulged in their favorite soda and I enjoyed a big glass of milk.

Monday night was just the hubby and I.For a romantic evening in I laid a quilt on the floor,added an assortment of floor pillows,set up a large breakfast tray in the middle to hold our plates and then surrounded that with candles.We put on the movie Delovely for a bit more ambience.

I made all of hubby's faves: baked pork chops,sweet potatos with brown sugar and butter,and peas.Made the hubby a rum and coke,I had a plain coke.
For dessert I made a pineapple flavored ice-box pie topped off with a healthy dollop of coolwhip.

Tonight I'll have the hubby grill up some bratwurst and I'll make skillet fried onions and potatos.Sauerkraut with mustard on the side and sourdough rolls with butter.This is one of my favorite meals.
Not sure if I'll do another dessert since I still have plenty of that icebox pie leftover.

I'm sure in a few weeks I'll start to run out of ideas,so I look forward to hearing what's on your plates!;)

Grace

Vendor
Bratwurst and sourdough sounds divine!!

Looking forward to reading more ideas-I'm not a good cook and when dinner time rolls around I hate having to think up new and exciting dishes.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks Grace!

At 36 years of age I've just started learning when my grandmother moved in with my mother this year from Kentucky.We've been getting together on mondays for my lessons,which has really been a fun bonding experience.
I've had some great successes and a few comical mishaps,but it just takes practice and a little patince.

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm too tired to go looking up the spelling of the names, so I'm not going to bother with them.

Last sunday I made homemade pita bread, homemade tzitziki (greek cucumber sauce), fresh greek salad, wrapped grape leaves, rosemary chicken, a faux gyro loaf, spankopita, soulvaki, and halva for dessert.

This Sunday is likely going to be something less labor intensive. Indian fry bread, meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes and a salad. Dessert will likely be a cheesecake.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Most Sundays I bake a whole chicken, make mashed potatoes and lately have drug out the breadmaker for fresh baked bread. My other alternative is to make spaghetti and meatballs and sauce, which I did when I was married to an Italian.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
That sounds so yummy Elaina!

I love chicken,but my husband doesn't.Still,if I put it in front of him he'll pretty much try anything.I may have to try a rosemary chicken next week.
Cheesecake is probably my favorite dessert,but well above my meager abilities at the moment.

I think my gram is making meatloaf next sunday,too.The mashed potatos sound like a good idea and my mom makes the best.Maybe,I'll try to copy her recipe myself or I'll bring dessert.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
That sounds good D.S.!
My hubby makes a good meat sauce,but dresses up the canned stuff.Works in a pinch,though.

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh, I love to cook

I was just trading recipes with a friend of mine.

Sunday I made Chicken under a brick, yellow rice and curried cabbage, dessert was a blueberry crumble. Earlier that day I made a huge butter herbed bread

Last night I made grilled chicken breasts, steamed brocoli and a big salad.

Tonight I'm going to make rigatoni with a tomato sauce I've been making all day and little turkey/chicken/pork meatballs and a salad. I still have some blueberry crumble so I'll probably have some of that.

Grace

Vendor
It's time for me to start thinking about dinner for this evening, and I think I've decided on Army SOS Beef.

It's ground beef in a sour cream sauce served over egg noodles.

If I was feeling a little more motivated, I'd make spaetzle and meatballs.

But I've been thinking about bratwurst and sour dough alllll day! Now that I don't live in the Bay Area anymore, I can kiss delicious sour dough good bye!
:(

olive bleu

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I can make two things well (and from scratch): lasagna and tiramisu. Everything else turns out mediocre.

I'd say that's pretty good. Both those dishes are pretty labour intensive, if you can pull those off, you can probably make anything with practice.

Besides, what more could a person want?

I love Italian food, period. I love grilled polenta, too. That's pretty easy.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
It sure is soup season. I've been using my crockpot a lot, since I find it saves time and I can make meals for a week.

Recently I've made ravioli and cannellini stew and a nice split pea soup. I'm currently cooking a sweet potato and barley chili (my dad says it sounds disgusting) based on a recipe I found online. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This weekend I baked a loaf of banana nut bread. I've adapted my own recipe in which the only real "bad for you" ingredient is one tablespoon of butter. Most of the moisture comes from applesauce, and I use egg whites instead of whole eggs. I'm still working on a way to sweeten it up a bit without using regular/brown sugar and without resorting to Splenda, since I don't like cooking with unnatural ingredients.

May I also recommend the "No Pudge!" brownie mixes available in the baking aisle? I discovered them a couple of weeks ago, and they are fantastic. They are also perhaps the easiest mix I've ever made, as they require you only to mix in a container of yogurt, then bake.

I can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving and cook up a big dinner with my family!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
dinner

Domino Pizza buffalo wings are just around the corner....
I just have to convince myself now to go out into the rain.:rolleyes:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I learn my cooking from Denny's!

Whenever you find a certain meal at any restaurant you just enjoy, try to recreate it yourself! And add a bit of your own tastes to it. Makes it all the more delicious.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I love my crock pot!

*Throw a chunk of thawed beef in the bottom (browned in a skillet first, if you must);

*Empty a bottle of beer over the meat;

*Pour in a few good sloshes of worcestershire sauce;

*Drop in a few bay leaves, a few pinches of kosher salt, some minced garlic and whatever other spices you like;

*Add six red potatoes that have been cut into chunks;

*Throw in a big bag of frozen veggies;

*Clean out the refrigerator and put in whatever leftovers don't escape;

*Add some kind of broth to fill the crock;

*Cook on high for at least four hours.

Yum!

--Leslie

RedPop4

One Too Many
Tonight was baked/braised chicken breasts. I used "Back of Yards Seasoning" from the Spice House in Chicago on the chicken breasts. I lined the baking pan with foil, rubbed the foil with olive oil, put in the seasoned chicken, and then poured in some Newman's Own Balsamic Vinegarette halway up the sides of the chicken breasts.

Got a good reception.

Grace

Vendor
happyfilmluvguy said:
Whenever you find a certain meal at any restaurant you just enjoy, try to recreate it yourself! And add a bit of your own tastes to it. Makes it all the more delicious.

Exactly!!

I love the Alice Springs Chicken at Outback Steakhouse. I poked around online and found pretty much the exact recipe. It's delicious!! If I make it myself, I can try to make it a little healthier, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points