What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Rosie, May 31, 2006.

1. That's the way it was with me. "Dinner" was around 2:00 (after church). When you ate dinner, there was no need for supper. You didn't eat again until breakfast the next morning.

Which brings up another non-sequitur...we typically ate chicken for Sunday Dinner, one that was alive when we left for church. I'm never plucking another chicken as long as I live. I'll eat dirt before I do that again.

2. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

Yes, Sunday was almost always chicken. But we would butcher a half dozen or so at a time and put them in the freezer.
    I did the initial "honors" and the bleeding, followed by the scalding. Then usually it was my dad, mom and I sitting around a tub that the feathers went into, each picking a chicken until they were all done. I singed them and mom gutted them. Dad wrapped them in butcher paper and put them in the freezer.
    Can't imagine the hassle of heating the scalding water in the big pot, etc. every Sunday after coming home from church.

3. Like this?:
    [​IMG]

4. Me too.

5. vintageTink

vintageTink One Too Many

Supper here.

Back in Laura Ingalls' time, supper was the mid-day meal, dinner was the evening meal.

6. You too eh? :p

7. What do you call lunch then? :p

8. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Good question.
    What's the chicken's name?

My grandparents (being Southern) called it the same thing, and DID eat a larger meal at noon than at night.
    Since we both work, the wife and I eat a larger meal at night, but cut out a lot of carbs since we will be less active.
    On the weekends, we do a large brunch, then nothing again till that evening.

Tonight it's Mexican chicken with queso, and green beans with BACON for James, along with garlic and smoked paprika for extra flavor.

9. We had..pork chops..fried potatoes..and corn on the cob for SUPPER at 6:30 pm.
    Chocolate milk shakes are being made right now for the Son and I...!!

10. vintageTink

vintageTink One Too Many

Chicken korma and rice.

11. vintageTink

vintageTink One Too Many

Depends on the restaurant's numbering system. :p

12. Stray Cat

Stray Cat My Mail is Forwarded Here

Where can I (pre)order one? :D

13. You are going to have to wait. I pressed the Pepper and Thick at the same time and got the machine stopped up and I had to eat all the bacon. :p

14. The chicken's name is/was Stanley.

Green beans go great with bacon. :p

15. Number 73 then. :p

16. I had a Baconator for DINNER. :p

17. Stray Cat

Stray Cat My Mail is Forwarded Here

Excuses.. you're just being greedy. :D

[​IMG]

Oh, and dinner was:
    Meatballs and tomato&rice stew. :essen:

18. Greedy with bacon? Who me? :p

MMmmmm Bacon meatballs. :p