Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats in YOUR winter wardrobe??

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
I cant belive its getting cold again already...just when I bought shorts :eusa_doh:

I really need to start looking at some warmer clothes and found the cutests grey cloche hat today (no idea what to wear it with mind!)

So, inspire me ladies!, whats in you winter wardrobe??

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Its too soon to talk WINTER

Winter hahaha.... Its going to be 89 and Humid where I live today. We have some harsh winters here in Minnesota but they won't kick in till October or November here. Although I have been thinking about wardrobe too. I was thinking of making myself some simple A line skirts for fall and going to work.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
It's still warm here, but we had our first rainy day in weeks so that actually did have me start thinking about it. Hmm, I'm not too sure. Most of my skirts are heavier, so I've been sweltering in them this summer, but it should be good for Fall/Winter. I just I'll layer stockings or try to find thicker ones. Does anyone know where to find that? I prefer nude stockings, but they're pretty flimsy.
I still have to find some hats, I have some, but they're not really old fashioned in any way. I've got plenty of coats, I bought up all these coats at the thrift store last month and I've been dying to wear them but it's been too hot. I have no idea what to wear for winter boots yet. All I've really got is gum boots and some really ugly zip up boots.
I also need to find some sweaters. Most of the sweaters I wore last year don't work for 1940's style.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I am holding out hope for a lovely sunny September, so I am trying not to make too many winter plans yet... but I have some lovely tweed that my dressmaker is making into a skirt for me, some wool crepe for a dress and I am hoping for a couple of pairs of tweed trousers too. Carrying over from last year: winter coat, boots, hat, a couple of pencil skirts and a lot of cardigans.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I just bought the best winter dress, its a thick tweed, probably too hot for most situations but great for winter evenings out. I can stand in the snow and smoke without freezing to death.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I bought myself a nice wool cape just before it got hot. It looks like I could be bringing it out in a few weeks...

Puzzicato, you mentioned that you're having a skirt made. I always find dressmakers in London expensive [probably because I'm 18 and most of my money comes from mum!]. Do you know of any cheap-ish dressmakers?

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Good heavens, We're looking at heat indexes over 100F here.
That's what we usually have here..but its barely hit 85F here all summer and sunrise it is around 50F! I've had to run a space heater to take the chill off the bedroom in the mornings!

In winter, I wear light to medium weight wool trousers with a longsleeved blouse and cardigan. It doesnt get very cold here often but if it does, I pull out the cashmere blend sweaters I find at the thrift store during the year. I do need to get a coat this year, so I must get to scouring the thrift stores. There was nothing that fit at the "all-you-can-stuff-in-bag-for-$10" sale I went to last month :(
I would like to find a pair of leather loafers and ankle boots as well. I have barn chores each day so I need something functional and sturdy.

D

Deleted member 12480

there is a winter-shoe thread that was posted in a couple of days ago. Fleur posted a great like for any UK folk. Does anyone know where I can find a wool cape, or a wool (or plain tweed) coat? The price doesn't matter (i'm willing to save up for a long time if its beautiful) but I would like something pretty authentic-looking... or preferably, authentic!

xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

where might one find one?

I have thermals (a tank top with long-john type bottoms) but what you said sounds a lot more skirt-friendly. :)
xxx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Best bet for flannel slips is to make one using a standard, simple slip pattern -- get some lightweight cotton flannel -- not wool -- and make up as many of them as you need.

Vermont Country Store used to sell them, but I haven't seen them listed in their catalog for a while. They do, however, have a rib-knit cotton slip which is surprisingly warm for winter wear.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Sincerely-Dee said:
I bought myself a nice wool cape just before it got hot. It looks like I could be bringing it out in a few weeks...

Puzzicato, you mentioned that you're having a skirt made. I always find dressmakers in London expensive [probably because I'm 18 and most of my money comes from mum!]. Do you know of any cheap-ish dressmakers?

Not cheap but good value! Carmen Vatajelu does all my alterations (mostly taking trousers in at the waist) and does a very good job. Her website has her pricelist for made to measure on the services page.

The dressmaker who is doing stuff for me at the moment is a little more expensive than that, but she is a friend and I like working with her, so I am happy to pay!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Summer seems to have disappeared here in Ireland - I'm hoping that things will improve and we might have a nice Autumn!

So, I imagine I will be in my Winter woollies in no time so I have started getting some new things together for the colder weather - some heavy circle skirts, nice knitwear (jumpers and cardigans) and I have three new coats - a white wool coat that's not too heavy, a camel hair coat and a beautiful (and heavy!) Lilli Ann black princess coat.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have a few wool skirts, but I wear thinner skirts with slips, too. I wear stockings, and occasionally seamed fishnet tights with nude sheer tights underneath for extra warmth. Lots of Rocket Originals jumpers, lots of trousers, cheap non-vintage cashmere cardigans and a 40s inspired overcoat. I am definitely getting a pair of the sheepskin lined snow boots! I really prefer my summer wardrobe though, as I feel so drab in my winter clobber.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I really prefer my summer wardrobe though, as I feel so drab in my winter clobber.

lol I love my winter accessories! Scarves, gloves, hats, coats. Lovely!

Last October I had a friend from Australia staying with me, and she commented how well women dress in London. I had to break it to her that it was just the nice coats covering multitudes of sins.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
GOSH! I am soo jelous of all your lovley weather! Its been pouring down here and I have had to dig out jeans for lack of warmer clothes.

Thanks for all your suggetions gals...keep 'em coming

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
lol I love my winter accessories! Scarves, gloves, hats, coats. Lovely!

Me too! I've already stocked up on some new gloves and scarves! ;)

To be honest I haven't had a chance to wear my Summer vintage wardrobe here in Dublin - the weather has just been too miserable - the only chance I got to wear my vintage dresses was on holiday in France. On the brightside, at least I'll get good wear out of my Winter wardrobe....

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
hopefully you can help me out guys....since its my first winter fully vintage (I usually chicken out and reach for the sweaters, hoodies and jeans) I want to invest in a good coat. Something that can last me a longggg time. What would you look for?? fabric?? style??

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic: Miss Golightly...Do you know anywhere in Dublin, other than the obvious Jenny Vander, to shop for vintage or vintage repo? I used to live in town but have not been there in such a ridiculously long time! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points