Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies,
I received my Secrets in Lace stockings and I am in love! Besides my vintage stockings, these are by far my favourite. So happy, oh and they look lovely. ;0
X
BD

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Question about bras ladies... how many of you wear bullet bras or earlier vintage bras? So far I am wearing modern ones only, but I tried a vintage long-line bullet bra on in a vintage shop recently and it was sooo comfy and supportive, only the waistline was way too big so I left it. But I'm just not sure if the bullet shape really is flattering for larger bosoms!? It can look very matronly if you're not careful... (in my opinion!). But I'm getting more into the sweater and skirt look and in some ways it just doesn't look quite right with round boobies! :D What are your opinions ladies?

Isis

One of the Regulars
Question about bras ladies... how many of you wear bullet bras or earlier vintage bras?
I wish I could, but there are no vintage-style bras that come in my size. :( As for looking matronly, I think that depends completely to the rest of the style. :)

Drappa

One Too Many
I don't wear vintage bullet bras (keep getting outbid and don't see my size that often), but I have a longline Triumph Doreen that I love with my 50's dresses. I got it really cheap on Ebay, and it wasn't advertised as the Doreen, but arrived and fit like a charm. I can't usually get myself to buy bras online, as the sizing seems to vary so wildly, and there's nothing more frustrating than an ill-fitting bra. If there were more bullet bras available around here to try on I'd probably wear them all the time.
You could also check out What Katie Did (they also sell on Ebay, and often cheaper than in-store).
I know what you mean with the matron look. When I was little our neighbour, who I was close to, wore bullet bras. She was large chested and middle-aged, and I remember wondering why she insisted on wearing such pointy, outdated bras :D Now I wish I could have asked her all sorts of questions. Ever since, I somehow associate that look with her, but I agree that many outfits that are vintage don't really look vintage with modern underwear.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I can't usually get myself to buy bras online, as the sizing seems to vary so wildly, and there's nothing more frustrating than an ill-fitting bra.
I buy my modern bras online, usually from Bravissimo, which has an excellent collection of larger bras that are actually pretty. It is also cheaper for me to buy them online from UK than go to a speciality store in Stockholm. To ensure fit I buy one in a store and then I feel secure to order the same brand and size online. So far it hasn't failed me. As for my lament that I can wear vintage bra, I try to find bras that are more classic in shape. Though I admit it isn't an ordeal to stay away from plunge bra or padded one when ones, when one really don't feel the need to get an illusion of being bigger than one am. :)

Drappa

One Too Many
That is true, I have sone trusted brands and buy the same bras in different colours. I have more of a problem buying vintage ones online, as I don't trust the measurements sellers put up, since they are so often wrong.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Thanks Drappa and Isis. I have considered ordering one of the longline triumph bras I've seen on ebay, they're super cheap and look quite vintage (even thought they're probably just made for old ladies :D). Maybe I'll give it a go! I was worried about how it would look on someone large-busted, more than anything... I like the look on smaller girls a lot, but I've never really seen anyone with an E-cup wearing one! they might look like I've stuffed two traffic cones under my sweater!

Drappa

One Too Many
Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't look like traffic cones! Although I am not big busted, I think if anything they'd act a bit like a minimiser, because there isn't any room for overspilling etc., it's all very contained. One thing about the longline Doreen is that they don't work with low-cut tops and dresses, because they are really high cut on the top, so show under some low or V-necks.
I tried on Doreens for months whenever I went in a shop that had them, and never liked the fit on me. Then I accidentally got that one on Ebay and loved it. They do differ depending on what material they are made of.

Elpinoine

New in Town
I'm larger in the chest too and have had good luck with the Bali Flower bra. It runs in bigger sizes, and gives that vintage look without being too pointy. I find it to be a nice balance. Bonus is that it's really affordable too. It has fantastic support, and while I bought it for my vintage styles it's become my go to bra. They've been making this style since the 60's.

Lillie Librarie

New in Town
I wandered into Sears today and found their Nice Touch gartered stocking on clearance for $1.75. Never tried them before but at that price I bought every pair they had in my size. Will be great for no worry everyday stockings.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Question about bras ladies... how many of you wear bullet bras or earlier vintage bras? ... But I'm just not sure if the bullet shape really is flattering for larger bosoms!?

No, its not. At all. I had one. A long line from the 50s. The cup size was just large enough for me, but it was way too large in the band size. I looked like a shelf. I felt stupid. Im a 38I in my modern bra which gives a pretty vintage shape.

LD

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
No, its not. At all. I had one. A long line from the 50s. The cup size was just large enough for me, but it was way too large in the band size. I looked like a shelf. I felt stupid. Im a 38I in my modern bra which gives a pretty vintage shape.

Hmm yeah that's what I was afraid of! Well, I have just bought this bra off ebay, it's only just over £4 incl postage, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! It's a modern one, apparently made by Sarah Jane.... we shall see!

!B2ER)Cw!mk~$(KGrHqIOKnUE)5bFwGM9BMg+!4F5y!~~0_35.JPG

zombi

A-List Customer
Apparently the "top" thread is the stocking thread?

In any case, I have a question for you gals who wear/have bought stockings from Magnolia Hosiery. What size? The size information page is "under construction", so I can't check there. I'm 5'9" or 5'10" (somehow, depending on the day) and weigh about 120 pounds, if that helps.

Fatal Red

New in Town
Hello ladies! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this garter belt from Sears (bless them for carrying them!) and could offer any advice. I have never owned a garter belt before, but have read so much information that I am dying to begin! Thank you!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That looks like a nice one. I have found for us larger ladies, a 6 garter belt is better than a 4 one. But that one looks like its will stay up.

LD

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wandered into Sears today and found their Nice Touch gartered stocking on clearance for $1.75. Never tried them before but at that price I bought every pair they had in my size. Will be great for no worry everyday stockings.

Sears has discontinued these. :( I really liked them for casual wear, LizzieMaine kindly recommended National: http://www.shopnational.com/.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm