Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lenore said:
Okay Ladies...

Got out the tape measure last night. It seems as though since I've stopped nursing, I've dropped two cup sizes from where I started. :(

I'm looking for a comfortable semi-pointy (though not bullet) bra with comfy straps in a 32C.

I adore playtex bras, but alas, they do not come in my size. I found the CC09 bra (aka the 40's bra) on WhatKatieDid.com and was curious if anyone happens to own it, and what their thoughts are on comfort and fit? How do the straps hold up, (and I do mean HOLD UP lol) and do they dig into your shoulders?

Any other suggestions? Stores? Specific bras?

On the plus side, the change in size is a good excuse to go shopping right? :eek:

Edited for grammatical error.

It ain't glamorous but I like the Triumph Doreen - its sturdy and gives a good 40's shape - pointy but not bullet. Not sure they do your size, I'd look but I'm at work and picrtures of ample bosomed women aren't really worksafe!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Is there any merrit to hunting for an actual vintage bra vs just buying a modern made one that resembles and/or gives the same effect?

The one thing I swore I wouldn't do was wear a bullet bra! Well, after donning my few vintage scores, standing in the mirror and then hoisting "the girls" with both hands higher than my microfiber underwire Breezies does, I have to admit...higher is better.

Any vintage mfg's to look for? One with a "G" name pops up but I can't recall it now. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The main thing to keep in mind with vintage bras is that they're a lot less forgiving if you're an odd size -- they tend to use a lot more cotton and a lot less elastic than the modern ones, and they can be very uncomfortable if they don't fit exactly right.

The second thing to keep in mind is that what elastic they do have can often go bad, even if it's a new-old-stock-out-of-the-box garment. They usually used rubber-based elastics like Lastex in these, and when the rubber goes bad, you're out of luck.

This can also be a problem with lined/padded cups -- if they have an inner foam-rubber lining, it will often go all crumbly, and you'll have to take the cups apart and reline them if you want to make it wearable again.

As far as vintage bras in general go, I love the classic old Playtex Living Bra, which came out in the mid-fifties, and was still being made as recently as the '80s. They're not hard to find in old-store-stock condition, and they're still reasonably priced, with a very vintage shape.

Hestia

Familiar Face
The elusive 32C

The regular Playtex 18-hour does come in 32C, only in white though, and not all retailers will stock the size. It's very comfortable, sort of classic mid-pointy, with nice wide straps. Very supportive.

Lenore said:
Okay Ladies...

Got out the tape measure last night. It seems as though since I've stopped nursing, I've dropped two cup sizes from where I started. :(

I'm looking for a comfortable semi-pointy (though not bullet) bra with comfy straps in a 32C.

I adore playtex bras, but alas, they do not come in my size. I found the CC09 bra (aka the 40's bra) on WhatKatieDid.com and was curious if anyone happens to own it, and what their thoughts are on comfort and fit? How do the straps hold up, (and I do mean HOLD UP lol) and do they dig into your shoulders?

Any other suggestions? Stores? Specific bras?

On the plus side, the change in size is a good excuse to go shopping right? :eek:

Edited for grammatical error.

fhiggs

New in Town
I am the owner of 3 longline bras, and I love them to pieces, they act as brilliant shapewear for me, really cinching in my waist.

The question I have is about putting them on. Currently I am putting them on and doing them up in front of me then rotating it round, which isn't the most pleasant experience (I have quite sensitive skin)....is there a trick for putting longline bras on that I have managed to overlook?

fhiggs

New in Town
Ah, alas I have no manshape to help me with such things :(

When doing them up yourself do you tend to start at the top or the bottom?

BrookOwens

New in Town
LelaViavonie said:
Speaking of Bras...
I bought a VS one months ago.. and is it me.. or do they fall apart easily??

I looked down at my ladies yesterday and noticed that my bra was falling apart.. I thought.. are u kidding me.. already?

Does anyone else have this problem with VS bras?

YES!!!! I've noticed just in the past 2 years the quality is going way down hill. I've had two of their bras underwires stab me ahahaha... also the pads they use now are not as nice as they ones they used to use in the very sexy.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
application

fhiggs said:
I am the owner of 3 longline bras, and I love them to pieces, they act as brilliant shapewear for me, really cinching in my waist.

The question I have is about putting them on. Currently I am putting them on and doing them up in front of me then rotating it round, which isn't the most pleasant experience (I have quite sensitive skin)....is there a trick for putting longline bras on that I have managed to overlook?
This is how I have to put mine on!always have even with a regular bra!however, with the long line bras I've found that the space between the waist of the bra & the waist of my pants causes "cold air" to drift in which i find equally as uncomfortible as the band over my large hips or the under arm "boning" pushing into my armpit!
SO, with that having been said....What I've taken to doing thsi winter is puting on a thin knit undershirt under the bra then twisting the thing into place after i've hooked it up the front of me!After that I have a twisted knit shirt on but that can easily be straightened by adjusting the hem of it into my pants/trousers.
It's a bit complicated but it really keeps me warmer on my lower back & hips.and I find I'm not chaffing as much from the cotton wearing & rubbing on me! not a great consolation but until I lose the rest of this weight I've packed on while out here in california I'm afraid I've got to adjust!plus it beats me working braless (although comfortible not attractive in my industry!)

VoodooDolly

New in Town
Have any of you gorgeous gals seen a lingerie line called Luleh? I'm not sure if it's new - I just saw it at Macy's yesterday, but I don't get out shopping much... Anyway, it's absolutely gorgeous and looks pretty functional too. There are long-line bras, OBGs, waist cinchers, merry widows, full shaper OBG dresses (corsolettes?), and slips. All in beautiful silky fabrics and colors. I would post a link, but I can't find anything that doesn't have more nudity than I'm comfortable posting. :eek: A quick Google should turn up several results tho.

I love traditional girdles and shapewear, but often the designs and colors feel a little old ladyish in a bad way. And I think lots of nude toned undergarments seem sort of gross and like something your doctor might prescribe. :p The Luleh line is pretty pricy by my standards, but seems well worth saving for. Any reviews from you ladies?

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Slip Info

I really like vintage slips and I would like to buy another black one. I'm looking for a super satin one, hopefully bias cut. Do any of you vintage mavens have tips for which brand or fabric combination to search for? For instance, I checked out this regarding Barbizon's names for fabric blends. Would it have to be silk or a silk blend, or could there be a rayon or nylon blend that accomplishes this? Thanks for any help.

edit: Article written by fuzzylizzie as I see!

BrookOwens

New in Town
okay.... So I just got my long line bra and long leg girdle... the rago lacette is actually really comfortable...

My biggest question... How the heck do you put a long line bra on yourself? I couldn't do it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
BrookOwens said:
okay.... So I just got my long line bra and long leg girdle... the rago lacette is actually really comfortable...

My biggest question... How the heck do you put a long line bra on yourself? I couldn't do it.

It helps to have long arms, but if you don't, the easy way around it is to put it on back-to-front, do up the hooks, and then turn it around.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
VoodooDolly said:
Have any of you gorgeous gals seen a lingerie line called Luleh? I'm not sure if it's new - I just saw it at Macy's yesterday, but I don't get out shopping much... Anyway, it's absolutely gorgeous and looks pretty functional too. There are long-line bras, OBGs, waist cinchers, merry widows, full shaper OBG dresses (corsolettes?), and slips. All in beautiful silky fabrics and colors. I would post a link, but I can't find anything that doesn't have more nudity than I'm comfortable posting. :eek: A quick Google should turn up several results tho.

I love traditional girdles and shapewear, but often the designs and colors feel a little old ladyish in a bad way. And I think lots of nude toned undergarments seem sort of gross and like something your doctor might prescribe. :p The Luleh line is pretty pricy by my standards, but seems well worth saving for. Any reviews from you ladies?

I've seen Luleh at Macy's before. Never bought it though because the fit is weird on me and it seems like it's more for bedroom attire and less practical for everyday wear. Their items are pretty, I just can't imagine that any of their shapers come anywhere near the quality and control of a traditional brand like Rago.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cast your votes....

Both of my "everyday" bras are in horrid condition and need to be thrown out. Large-chested ladies (I'm 34DD), what do you wear for everyday? One of my old ones is Wacoal and one is Rendezvous (supposedly a reducer).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points