Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
Or bathroom sink or where ever else you keep your beauty products.

And I'm not talking about "I wear such and such blush and such and such lipstick." I'm talking about the stuff that's required to use and keep all that. Like compact cases, lipstick holders, brushes, perfume bottles, etc. And also, where did you get all of them? I ask because I'm interested in putting together a vanity table that looks vintage and I couldn't find another thread that could cover these topics. (I even did the Googling The Fedora Lounge trick.)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge OnlyOneAudrey!

Ok girls, I took a peek over there but it is mostly dressers, and lots of mens dressers at that. So I think vanities need their own special powder room thread! :p Err.. excuse me, I mean beauty thread.. I keep forgetting it's not just the powder room anymore!

Bebop I LOVE your FREE vanity! And your great grandmother's linens just fit perfectly. Love the room color too!

I'll have to take a pic of mine. But I have a vintage head vase that holds my makeup brushes. An oval mirror tray that I like to corral all of my perfumes on. I need some of those vintage lipstick holders but haven't found any I like. I also want a fancy tissue box. I have various vintage mirror/brush sets. Drawers are full of nail polish, hair pieces, old makeup, "special jewelry", combs and brushes that I actually use, ect.

Frankly I haven't been using my vanity to get ready since I had my son two years ago. Our bedroom is upstairs and I've taken to getting ready in the bath downstairs. I'm ready to get back to normal tho!

I think I had started a similar thread a long time ago, but it was more about decorating than actually using the items you keep on top.

So, does everyone get ready in one place, or jump from room to room?
Nikki

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
I have my clothes in the closet, or course. I would love to have a vintage armoir one day. The kind where one side is for hanging dresses and the other is for folded things. But til that day everything is in the closet. (Yeah, I'd use a dresser if I hadn't thrown them away the last time we moved...they were falling apart. So for now I'm using boxes.) So granted I put my clothes on in front of the closet.

As for everything else, it's the bathroom sink. The bathroom always seems the best bc of the lighting. I have really bad eyes and lots of light is a Godsend. I keep all my make up in this metal case that my grandfather bought for me once. It's not very pretty, but VERY functional. (Leave it to a guy to buy something only functional...) But it's nice bc when I need to take it with me on a trip it has a nice handle and it is IMPOSSIBLE to squish, I mean, come on it's made of metal!

Maybe when I get back in town I will take a picture of my bathroom sink, but honestly it looks like a Presidentially Declared Disaster Area.....Does anyone else have a problem keeping your dressing area clean?

Josephine

One Too Many
My dresser is in my closet, I'll have to take a pic and put it on the other thread. I get ready various places, I don't usually wear make up, but the occasions I do I use the bathroom mirror though all my stuff is in a case on the dresser. I get dressed in my room, and do my hair either in the closet where there is an ok mirror, or the bathroom for more elaborate coifs that need stuff to hold them up.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I don't have a separate vanity, as my dresser has an enormous mirror attached to it, but on mine I keep my makeup case, a large wooden jewelry box that I got at a yard sale, my two-sided magnifying mirror, and a little basket that I throw odds and ends in. I keep my hair stuff in the bathroom, because there's too much of it. It would overwhelm my surface space.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
A lighted mirror. I'm too nearsighted to see into the one attached to the vanity when I put on makeup.

I love the lit makeup mirrors with different settings. I have an old one from the 80's that I like to set on top of my vanity but it just looks so yucky. Thinking of tryint to "jazz it up" some way to look more vintagy.
Nikki

pattygoody

New in Town
OnlyOneAudrey said:
Or bathroom sink or where ever else you keep your beauty products.

And I'm not talking about "I wear such and such blush and such and such lipstick." I'm talking about the stuff that's required to use and keep all that. Like compact cases, lipstick holders, brushes, perfume bottles, etc. And also, where did you get all of them? I ask because I'm interested in putting together a vanity table that looks vintage and I couldn't find another thread that could cover these topics. (I even did the Googling The Fedora Lounge trick.)

I got my little vanity table at Goodwill for 20.00 and my chair at Ross for 30.00. Now it's full of stuff, but here's a picture of before the clutter! LOL I used to have an antique vanity, but I got rid of all my antique furniture when I moved...long story. I keep perfume, makeup, assorted girly things and my hair straightener on mine!

553699.jpeg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the thread

that hooked me on the Lounge!
And inspired me to clean up the dressing table, which is like a six-month archeological dig...

Anyway!

l_e684ca28cc074c89dc44974022e8da1b.jpg

Closeup of left:
l_6c1e476d6e68210e2a7097e573314515.jpg

Closeup of center:
l_793b086a4f7ea1ce6c6d8ff868fe07f7.jpg

Closeup of right:
l_cad34b4e8f8a77f53884c64edc297024.jpg

As you can see, if it is green and Art Deco, I want it!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I once left my vanity on a table....but forgot which table.
:(
Once I found it, I made a resolution to always keep it with me
. ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a great idea!

BonnieJean said:
Here's another link to a thread in the Display Case about vanities.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17775&highlight=vanity

Scroll down the page and you'll see what's on my vanity.

To build it into an armoire!

But I beg to differ, this is a different kind of thread - this is about the little stuff on it, right? So maybe that men's dresser thread is more like it - but manly. I am always unclear about where we should put stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points