Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was at the point where I was debating whether I could light fire to some newspapers in the kitchen sink -- it got that bad. If the power had stayed out another night I was going to go sleep down at the theatre, where, inexplicably, the power was still on. The high-priced Time Warner-based bells-and-whistles phone system down there, however, was out for two more days.

I was at the point where I was debating whether I could light fire to some newspapers in the kitchen sink -- it got that bad. If the power had stayed out another night I was going to go sleep down at the theatre, where, inexplicably, the power was still on. The high-priced Time Warner-based bells-and-whistles phone system down there, however, was out for two more days.

Brrrrrr..... Now I remember why I stock up on wood in spring and summer. :p Stay warm out there.

So what? There is no rule that you must answer a phone every time it rings. I rarely answer my home phone. The next day, conversations typically go like this:

Someone: "Where were you last night?"
Me: "I was home all night"
Someone: "Well I called you three times"
Me: "Yes, I heard the phone ring"
Someone: "Why didn't you answer?"
Me: "Because I didn't feel like it"
Bingo. The "expectation" that Vintage68 mentioned is a form of learned behavior; you simply (or not so simply, in some cases) have to re-train everyone to understand you're not at their beck and call 24 hours a day.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Exactly. We haven't yet reached the point where most adults grew up with cellphones -- most adults today can clearly remember the days when they had one telephone mounted on the wall at home. They should also be able to remember that the world functioned perfectly well in those days. They have been taught by the Boys that they "need" to always be connected, but what's learned can also be unlearned if someone has sufficient will power.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple of months ago I broke my cell phone and had to do without for two or three weeks. It was pretty nice being completely out of contact for part of the day. My boss told me to carry the company phone since it had the necessary contacts in it but as soon as I clocked out I turned it off and put it into my pocket. Again it was nice not being able to be tracked by the government or anyone else. I'm only 31 & if I had to give up my phone I would be fine after a day or two.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I remember the days when most people could at least get away from work when they were on vacation. Not anymore. Many employers now expect to be able to get in contact, even multiple times a day, with employees 24/7/365, including vacation time. It makes you wonder if people now days really ever get to relax and get away from it all. Thankfully, I don't have a problem turning my cell off and turning on the "do not disturb" feature on my land line that sends all calls straight to voicemail without me even hearing a ring...absolute bliss!

Last edited:

Haversack

One Too Many
George Bernard Shaw had his own solution to telephone interruptions. He did most of his creative writing in small hut at the bottom of his garden. Its amenities were a chair, writing table, wastepaper basket, book shelve, and wall-mounted telephone. He had the telephone fixed so it could only make outgoing calls and could never ring. (The hut could also pivot so he follow the track of the sun.)

George Bernard Shaw had his own solution to telephone interruptions. He did most of his creative writing in small hut at the bottom of his garden. Its amenities were a chair, writing table, wastepaper basket, book shelve, and wall-mounted telephone. He had the telephone fixed so it could only make outgoing calls and could never ring. (The hut could also pivot so he follow the track of the sun.)

Sign me up for one of those. :p

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember the days when most people could at least get away from work when they were on vacation. Not anymore. Many employers now expect to be able to get in contact, even multiple times a day, with employees 24/7/365, including vacation time. It makes you wonder if people now days really ever get to relax and get away from it all. Thankfully, I don't have a problem turning my cell off and turning on the "do not disturb" feature on my land line that sends all calls straight to voicemail without me even hearing a ring...absolute bliss!

A guy at work hasn't taken a vacation in several years because he's scared he'd lose his job from people screwing up customers orders.

Take your vacation!!!
$$$$ is tangible. If you run out, there is always some way to get more, but when your time runs out - that's it. What you had is all you'll ever get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21