Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what's that?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The answer lies within...

What kind of label is inside? That should say where it was manufactured and help reveal it's identity.

-dixon cannon

P.S. What war? Possibly Korea? Vietnam? That might shed some light on the trail as well.

pamina

Familiar Face
no, WW2 - he was austrian. the austrian didn't fight in vietnam. there's no label in it. my father gave the jacket to a sewer who made a new lining ( right word )? for it, because the old one was damaged.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
That could be a motorcycle jacket from the 1930s or 1940s. I believe that Schott made their first "Perfecto" jacket in 1928. No doubt, there were other leather coat companies at that time making that style - perhaps it was even purchased from a European manufacturer. I like the look of it - it is a great heirloom!

Regards,

Noel

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Pamina, it is wonderful to have something usable like this from your grandfather, something with history, something that has acquired so much character through its life. It looks great on you!

Wish I had the jacket my father wore in some old pictures from the 40's.

I'm not an expert on the Schott Perfecto type motorcycle jacket, by any measure. I was hoping someone here would know more. Hence I'm replying to keep this bumped a bit. But if you don't get an answer, try searching the web. Wikipedia is an obvious starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfecto_motorcycle_jacket
but on some gut level, I suspect it is a copy. If there are any labels of any sort, what do they say? (yeah, may have gone away with original lining). Also, your photos are a little ambiguous...is it dark brown or black? What are the zippers - do they say Talon or something else or nothing? Are there snaps to attach a pile collar? If you note all these details, a series of web searches might turn up something.

Best of luck and you wear it well.

- Bill

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Looking at the jacket again, I noticed that the belt (or half belt) is the opposite of all the American motorcycle jackets that I have seen. The buckle is always on the left side but on this jacket, the buckle is on the right side. Maybe this is more evidence that the jacket was European-made?

Noel

pamina

Familiar Face
the colour is brown. i guess in its best days the jacket was darkbrown... hmm, the leather on the belt looks a little bit different to the leather of the whole jacket. my grand-aunt was a sewer. maybe she fixed a new belt ? on the right ? =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925