Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the meaning behind your Avatar ?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just wondering what's the meaning behind your Avatars ?

Mine is from the movie & relates to my growing up years & how
I managed to survive the hard times that came my way.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Mine is a picture I took of a girl walking on the Ramblas, the most famous street in Barcelona, Spain. I really don't know what it was she was wearing. It was a pieced together ensemble with a skirt the shape of a banana that was dragging. She was clearly making a fashion statement which was a complete paradox. The avatar is the exact opposite of my user name and meant to be satirical.

Last edited:
I'm a WWII buff with a particular interest in the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) so I use this randomly chosen image of a Japanese naval officer.

0046_r.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm a WWII buff with a particular interest in the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) so I use this randomly chosen image of a Japanese naval officer.

During my R&R from Vietnam tour , I went to Tokyo.
Took a mini cab tour . Saw the Ginza, Emperor's Palace , huge stone Daibutsu
& bullet train to Mt. Fuji.

Too young to appreciate it then. Would love to go back now

and check the museums & history of WWII from that perspective.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I've used my avatar in several forums (fora?). Over 10 years ago (wow, time flies) I chose Strapped-4-Cache as my goecaching nickname because there was a big push at the time I joined to rack up large numbers of finds. There was no way I could ever catch up to some of the other members, so I couldn't resist the pun. The avatar is just a pun on the nickname - a broken piggy bank barely held together with a bandage.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
My current avatar is a huaso (chilean cowboy) and horse. This is from many years ago when I was young and living in the south of Chile.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
The deer is one we had last year come up to the side of the house & nosh on our laurels & rhodies. It was taken from our kitchen window at about 15-20 ft with a umm 70-300mm leica lense on a pentax k200d. She had twins, 1 I know died of bluenose wasting disease, I think the 2nd did too along with her.

She stands for the RDA in my username here, along with my studio & I even have a road named after her, even if she isnt running in this picture :p
I havent had a chance to get out this year to the fields with my new longlense & this week we are in shotgun season so I dont like spooking them out of the woods. No, I am not anti hunting, I used to hunt myself but now I hunt with a camera, far more fun for me. ;)

DNO

One Too Many
Good idea for a thread. I change my avatar often and usually just use a photo of myself.

My current one, however, is a still featuring Raymond Massey in 'The Shape of Things to Come'. Massey was born and raised in Toronto and did quite well as an actor south of the border. His brother served as a Governor General of Canada. I have a few others that I'll use...all Toronto area people who did well in film, including a great one of Walter Huston.

During my R&R from Vietnam tour , I went to Tokyo.
Took a mini cab tour . Saw the Ginza, Emperor's Palace , huge stone Daibutsu
& bullet train to Mt. Fuji.

Too young to appreciate it then. Would love to go back now

and check the museums & history of WWII from that perspective.

What I would love to see is the battleship Mikasa, Admiral Togo's flagship in the Battle of Tsushima during the Russo-Japanese War, now preserved as a museum.

Yokosuka-mikasa-08-2010.png

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Mine is, not surprisingly, the classic Marvel Comics character Doctor Strange!

This particular image is from the cover of the only issue featuring Doctor Strange illustrated by Barry Smith (Marvel Premiere Volume 1 #3, July 1972, written by Stan Lee). Nothing against the many other great artists who've drawn the character - especially Steve Ditko and Gene Colan - but Smith's detailed psychedelic style was absolutely perfect for Strange's unearthly adventures! (See attached image of a page from this comic.)

Attachments

• Marvel-Premiere-03-12.jpg
    Marvel-Premiere-03-12.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 209

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm