What's the Right Hat for fishing?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Mark P, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Mark P

Mark P Familiar Face

I've just started fly fishing for trout. What's a good classic hat to wear for that?

2. GWD

GWD One Too Many

The Dobbs Rainbow or a Field and Stream. It was built for fly fishing. I've been waiting for one to show up in my size for a few months. Good Luck!

3. DnSchlng

DnSchlng One of the Regulars

Try the Akubra Angler. Some vendors sell it with a curled brim like a cowboy hat, while others sell it with a more downturned brim. I personally think that the downturned brim looks better on this hat. It also has 3 vent holes as a bonus.

4. Stoney

Stoney Practically Family

5. jec

jec One of the Regulars

My Angler arrived with the curled brim (which was a bit too 'cowboy' for my taste), but with a little steam and careful effort, I was able to reshape it to an outback look. I also changed the narrow dark rope hat band to one of the wider leather Stetson bands now being sold on EBay for a pittance, and also narrowed the pinch of the bash up front. Those changes really improved the look. Now the Angler has become my favorite field hat.

If you are a small size, the Angler is still available from Outback Outlet at a great price http://www.outbackoutlet.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=79

Noggintops also has this hat on sale.

Jim

6. Check the filmography

You can run clips from "A River Runs Through It" at the following web site:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105265/

It should suggest a classic look for flyfishing!

7. shortbow

shortbow Practically Family

I have for years used, and will continue to use, an Open Road with the brim turned down in back. As far as I am concerned it is perfect. I've probably been out a dozen times so far this spring, and have encountered sun, rain, hail, and winds strong enough to blow my canoe off the lake. The OR handles it all with aplomb and style. Hey wait. The Open Road is the perfect hat for all seasons, for all reasons. Best of luck, and don't forget to release the little ones. Up here that means anything less than two pounds.:D

8. Magus

Magus Practically Family

9. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

SNAP!

hahahaha....

B
    T

10. kenmcneill

kenmcneill Familiar Face

My new Angler came in this morning with the curled brim, which I hadn't expected from the pictures. With the encouragement of Jim's post, the curl is now gone and my Akubra is ready to hit the streams here in NC.

Ken
    [​IMG]

11. donnc

donnc One of the Regulars

Might also consider a "bump cap": [​IMG].

Light, good ventilation, keeps the sun off, and the fish hooks won't snag on it.

12. DougC

DougC Practically Family

I'll second the Open Road (shaped in a tear drop)--I wore one in Canada last week. Rain only made it look better.

13. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

Soft Hats ¡¡¡¡

When I am sometimes fishing, am using soft hats, two important reasons:
    Sun and water, no have importance the color to me.:p :p :p

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Practically Family

I use a tilley. TH3, to be specific. Shade without the heat of a felt, and I never have to think twice about it. Dunk it in water to cool you off, floats (not usually too important...), has a windcord in case that's ever necessary.

Really, they're just great outdoor hats in general, at least for hot weather.

15. rgraham

rgraham A-List Customer

Not this one....

Although, it is for keeping flies under control.

[​IMG]

16. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

Joe Fedora

This is my hiking and kayaking hat. If I still fly-fished, I would use it for that as well, as felt is too hot for me in the summer:

[​IMG]

It's polystraw with a coolmax sweat, floats, has a wind cord, etc.
    I think an Akubra Capricorn (also polystraw) would make a nice fly-fishing lid too...

17. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

One fishing hat ¡¡¡¡

I asked my grand daughther What is the better hat to fishing?
    thence She choose this... a French hat, from <louis international>, a green soft.
    [​IMG]
    lol lol lol lol

18. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

She has excellent taste!

My husband wears a leather "Indiana Jones" lol hat that I bought him in Spain a couple of years ago. He has also asked for a pith helmet. He goes for comfort, not style when he's fishing.

19. Flyfishing hat

Great question....I've seen old felt hats with flies stuck through the felt BUT for me, I'm not looking to put a bunch of holes in a hat; or get tearouts from removing bugs from the hat SOOOOO....I've asked Tonyb who is a vendor on this forum to make me a flyfishing hat.

He is going to make me a Beaver body or Rabbit, with a nice big brim like 2-7/8 inches and what my idea was a versitile hat......I asked him to find a section or lambs wool, the width of the grosgrain or slightly wider; put some rust proof eyelets on the wool, and tie it onto the hat over top the grosgrain with perhaps a waxed shoelace.

I can then remove my "fly keeper" and have the hat shown the grosgrain if I want to remove it for a different purpose.

You can PM tonyb or contact him through his website at Tumwater Hats.

Show me what you come up with.......I'll be sure to post mien when I get it.

20. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

Comfort ¡¡

Comfort is the word ¡¡¡¡:eusa_clap :eusa_clap