Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the story behind the G-2?

Havana

One of the Regulars
Hi, I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the G-2 flight jacket? I know it was never actually issued. Was it a proposed military replacement that just didn't make it or was it just a civillian alternative? Can anyone layout the basic details of the jacket for me? Are they even standardized in any way? From what I've seen, the G-2 pretty much looks like a G-1 without the fur collar and storm flap. Thanks in advance for your input, fellas.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The fictional G-2 flight jacket

Every so often this G-2 jacket raises its ugly head. It's a fictional jacket with based loosely on a G-1 but with things like hand warmer pockets, detachable mouton collar..etc. It's a mall type jacket to accomodate the civvie market who want a semi-military look to their jacket.

If you want authenticity, and a VINTAGE military flyers look, then search on this JACKET and WWII forums with key words like A2; A-2; G1; G-1; M422a; B3; A-1; A1; ...etc.

Also, check on the REFERENCE LIBRARY at the top of the WWII section for makers of jackets!

Bear in mind, if going via the classic A2, slim is good, blousy is modern and mallish. However, many prefer the USN g-1 jacket, as it has a bi-swing back that gives more movement to the arms. Hope that's of some help!:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk